Back in the Saddle, again.

• Premium Member
Went out on my bike today for the first time since a Nov 20 surgery visit left me with a 2 month lifting restriction of 10 pounds. Blech!

Anyway, I was anxious to try out the new GoPro Session 5 camera I got for Christmas. I'm using a chin mount for the camera. In the pictures, you can see my old GoPro 3 Silver mounted behind my windscreen. I've got enough power outlets up front to keep both cameras and my iPhone plugged in and charging at the same time.

I must have been too anxious for this ride, though, since I managed to screw up the camera's settings somehow. Instead of a movie, I got almost 8000 pictures from an hour or so of riding with the camera in perpetual burst mode (up to 30 snapshots per second).

The default setting for burst pictures is apparently something called "linear" mode. This is a midrange field of view setting that removes the "fish-eye" effect often associated with GoPro cameras. I may play with this setting some more - I think I like it, but it's NOT one of the wider fields of view.

Oops. I guess I'll just have to take more rides to make sure I get it right.

Anyway, here's a few pics from my ride though the Tucson Mountains.

Hard left hand curve through a dry wash going west to Picture Rocks pass.
G0011129.jpg

Just past the crest of Picture Rocks pass.
G0011218.jpg

Picture Rocks road bridle trail crossing.
Picture_Rocks_exit_curves.jpg

The run up to Gates Pass.
Gates_Pass_Runup.jpg

Avra Valley view from Gates Pass ascent.
Avra_Valley_from_Gates_Pass.jpg

Gates Pass crest, with Tucson visible in the distance.
Gate_Pass_at_top.jpg
Don't follow. Don't lead. Don't join.

Buried in snow and so jealous of your weather. Looks like a great place to ride, going on my riding list.

Went out on my bike today for the first time since a Nov 20 surgery visit left me with a 2 month lifting restriction of 10 pounds. Blech! 
Anyway, I was anxious to try out the new GoPro Session 5 camera I got for Christmas. I'm using a chin mount for the camera. In the pictures, you can see my old GoPro 3 Silver mounted behind my windscreen. I've got enough power outlets up front to keep both cameras and my iPhone plugged in and charging at the same time.

I must have been too anxious for this ride, though, since I managed to screw up the camera's settings somehow. Instead of a movie, I got almost 8000 pictures from an hour or so of riding with the camera in perpetual burst mode (up to 30 snapshots per second).

The default setting for burst pictures is apparently something called "linear" mode. This is a midrange field of view setting that removes the "fish-eye" effect often associated with GoPro cameras. I may play with this setting some more - I think I like it, but it's NOT one of the wider fields of view.

Oops. I guess I'll just have to take more rides to make sure I get it right.

Anyway, here's a few pics from my ride though the Tucson Mountains.

Hard left hand curve through a dry wash going west to Picture Rocks pass.
G0011129.jpg

Just past the crest of Picture Rocks pass.
G0011218.jpg

Picture Rocks road bridle trail crossing.
Picture_Rocks_exit_curves.jpg

The run up to Gates Pass.
Gates_Pass_Runup.jpg

Avra Valley view from Gates Pass ascent.
Avra_Valley_from_Gates_Pass.jpg

Gates Pass crest, with Tucson visible in the distance.
Gate_Pass_at_top.jpg

• Supporting Member
Glad to hear that you are back on a bike.  Riding is the best therapy!! 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
congrats! What was the surgery?
Hernia (damn those 10 ream cases of printer paper from Costco!). Promptly followed by a DVT behind my right knee. Still taking the blood thinner for that one, but riding now, anyway. Skroom!

• Premium Member
Glad you're doing better.  
What's that doohickey in the middle of the bars?
That's the electronic control for my Scottoiler chain oiler. I install it on each bike when I buy it, and take it off for reuse just before I trade the old one in on a new one. By using it, I didn't have to replace the FJ's original chain until 22,770 miles. I maybe could have kept it on a little longer, but I was getting ready for a 2000+ mile trip last summer that took me from Tucson to Steamboat Springs, CO, and back. I didn't want to wind up somewhere with a busted chain while I was on my ride.

Archived