Motodynamic

So I finally decided to put flush mounted turn signals on. Should be easy. Well I have ran into a snag. I got the kit that comes with the load resistor. I really dont need it because I have a flasher relay already on the bike for the tail light. Well the only problems is if I dont use load resistor kit then the wires are not long enough so I will have to use it. My question is hot will the load resistor get under load? I want to attach it to the plastic inside fairing but I dont want to melt anything. I really dont want to use it. Any sugestions or solutions would be helpfull.
20170203_180326.jpg

I would not mount them to the plastic, they get pretty hot. 3 things...

1 - I believe that you can cut the wires going into the resistors to remove them.

2 - When I installed the motodynamic flush mounts I seem to remember thinking the same thing that the wires weren't long enough. However, I think you can reroute the wiring from the bike and gain a few inches of play. If I have a few minutes I will run down to the bike and get some pictures.

3 - You can order these if needed.... https://www.motodynamic.com/yamaha/wire-harness/yamaha-turn-signal-wire-harness-r1-r6-fz6-fz6r-fz1-fz8-2-or-3-wire-pair.html

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I also bought the Motodynamic flushmounts and was disappointed for a few reasons. First, I ran into the same dilemma as you did, if you don't use the load resistors, the wiring harness is too short. Second, the resistors didn't work, my flash rate was like a strobe light, I had to buy an additional resistor to get the flash rate back to normal. Once everything was operating normally, I didn't find the LED's all that bright. They look better than the OEM indicators, but thats all the praise I can give them.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok so, it IS possible to use the original wire harness without the resistor piece...

Right Side
GQdotNz.jpg

Left Side
aCqqpkz.jpg

I also find the signals to be plenty bright enough from the side....
Ud5GRXC.jpg

...not as noticeable from the front (due to the amazing LED headlights)
aiJUgv2.jpg

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I have spent the last hour trying to figure out where to mount the load resistor harness and now I am thinking of just cutting the two resistor wires and heat shrinking the ends. Would this cause any problems?
I don't think this would cause any problems... I would open that smaller area of heat shrink material and make sure all the wires are connected where they need to be.

This is a response I got from Motodynamic when I was asking them questions in regards to the resistors for the tailight...

"You'll need to cut the heatshrink wrap off first, then cut out the resistor. In the end all you want is the blue/yellow wiring running straight through, for the ground wire you can either cut it out or de-pin it from the connector

Regards"

Since it has no effect on the rear signals, I assume it would have no effect on the front.. I hope I am not wrong in assuming

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Awesome thank you so much for taking the time out to take the sides off and snap some pictures for me.
No problem... I feel like I might have had to remove the other panel on the left hand side in order to get the extra slack from the original harness (hard to remember its been a year :P ). On the right side you just have to push the original connector back through the opening and route it as seen in the picture.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Ok so, it IS possible to use the original wire harness without the resistor piece... 
Right Side

Left Side

I also find the signals to be plenty bright enough from the side....

...not as noticeable from the front (due to the amazing LED headlights)
aiJUgv2.jpg
And that... could be a problem if an oncoming motorist can't see your turn signal. One of the mixed blessings of very bright headlights.
Keep Asheville weird!

• Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2017 20:23:48 GMT -8 [span][span]piotrek[/span][/span] said:
...tucking the indicators close to the body of the bike is a bit counter intuitive IMO (kinda like smoke lenses :P )....the idea is that they stand out, no?
I always get rid of the bulbous OEM indicators on my bikes, aside from hating the way that they look,they stick out so far that I am always smacking them with my knees when working on the bike. 

• Premium Member
I have spent the last hour trying to figure out where to mount the load resistor harness and now I am thinking of just cutting the two resistor wires and heat shrinking the ends. Would this cause any problems?
I don't think this would cause any problems... I would open that smaller area of heat shrink material and make sure all the wires are connected where they need to be. 
This is a response I got from Motodynamic when I was asking them questions in regards to the resistors for the tailight...

"You'll need to cut the heatshrink wrap off first, then cut out the resistor. In the end all you want is the blue/yellow wiring running straight through, for the ground wire you can either cut it out or de-pin it from the connector

Regards"

Since it has no effect on the rear signals, I assume it would have no effect on the front.. I hope I am not wrong in assuming

All of this is what you avoid with the Custom LED Blaster-X assembly. Spend an extra $20 and get the plug n' play flasher relay, and it completes a 15 minute install with no cutting or splicing. And they are super bright. https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light 

@piotrek I get that and don't disagree... but to be honest, it doesn't really matter if people in front of me can see which direction I'm indicating. As a motorcyclist, I take the responsibility to stay out of their way and do not rely on others to act appropriately. I ride like no once can ever see me....

However, along that same line of reasoning that you are using, I have thought about adding these to the front panels facing forward to give a little more visibility for people facing me.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Regards"

All of this is what you avoid with the Custom LED Blaster-X assembly. Spend an extra $20 and get the plug n' play flasher relay, and it completes a 15 minute install with no cutting or splicing. And they are super bright. https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light
I did not have to cut or splice anything with the install of my motodynamic tail light, turn signals, or fender eliminator. Everything was plug and play and all OEM wiring is intact. I bought a TST industries flasher relay so that no resistors were needed.

This thread is in regard to the flush mount LED turn signals wiring harness being short so I was giving the OP suggestions.

Custom LED Blaster X is a great product, just wasn't worth the added cost for all the strobe programs to me. I just wanted brake alert and integrated signals which motodynamic did for significantly less at the time.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
I bought a TST industries flasher relay so that no resistors were needed.
That's exactly what I had to buy to get my Motodynamic flushmounts to work correctly. 

Regards"

I have the customled with the flasher relay. I wanted the flush mounted turn signals and I like motodynamic's but I just dont understand why they didnt make the wiring longer. 

Archived