Has anyone installed a DNA filter?

Is $100 dollars for a DNA air filter that claims a 28% increase in air flow worth the money? Anyone installed an aftermarket air filter? Any noticeable difference?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I've talked to a tuner that has done dyno runs with various setups. Unless you try velocity stacks and no airbox, he didn't see any difference in performance with an air filter change.
Thanks @carey I figured it wouldn't really make a difference...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

hey...that is a trick question!... can the FJ breathe 28% better without forced induction and/or other mods, regardless of what the filter can do? :P
I was just quoting what was on the DNA website.. https://www.e-dnafilters.com/product/Motorcycle-Filters/Yamaha/DNA-1123/YMA-FJ09/Yamaha-FJ09-%2815-16%29-DNA-Air-Filter-P-Y8N14-01 . The website claims the stock filter allows 151.5 cubic feet per minute vs 194.2 with the DNA filter...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I figure it must be a coarser filter to allow more air...and bigger particulates through?

I deal with fluid dynamics (air and smoke flow) in my job every day so understand more than most, but confess to not understanding the claims of filter changes, whilst still claiming to clean air.

What am I missing?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

As far as I understand it, a filter that allows a higher volume of air to flow per unit time can still remove all the potentially damaging particles. The cheaper, conventional filter removes the same amount of damaging particles, at the expense of restricting the volume rate due to inefficient design.

Whether that makes any power difference, without any changes to restrictions in the OEM airbox design is unlikely.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Is $100 dollars for a DNA air filter that claims a 28% increase in air flow worth the money? Anyone installed an aftermarket air filter? Any noticeable difference?
As the saying goes, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Snake-oil.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

Actually I suppose you can have the same courseness (filtering) and get a larger air volume by increasing the overall surface area... so it's not inconceivable.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I've installed a washable aftermarket air filter in many of my bikes, but it wasn't for a performance increase. Washing and reusing a filter can save you some money on the long run, but for $100, I can buy a lot of OEM filters.

• Premium Member
The DNA filter looks like it uses deeper folds for more surface area, which would mean it can flow more while still filtering properly. The performance benefit from an air filter that is capable of flowing more air is only going to manifest if the air filter assembly is the limiting factor to air flow. Remember, the engine is basically a giant air pump and somewhere in that pumping process it lights the air on fire before blowing it out the backside.

If the exhaust is the restriction, then air filter flow won't matter. If the intake is the restriction, the air filter flow won't matter. So, you CAN get a performance increase from a DNA air filter and intake assembly, but only if it was the limiting factor to air flow through the engine.

Edit, in regards to the DNA filter flowing 28% more than the stock filter:  The flow was likely tested on a flow bench or other air flow measurement device and not installed on a specific engine.  So it is capable of flowing 28% more air by volume, but is the engine capable of making use of it?  If it is, then we could see a gain, otherwise other areas of air flow would be more beneficial to improve.

As the saying goes, "There's no such thing as a free lunch." Snake-oil.

I fit one up, for me it's all about having a washable filter and not having to fork out money for a new one all the time. If it has better flow - awesome.

• Premium Member
When I bought my flash tuner, I also bought a K&N filter, because that's what I'd done with every other bike I've ever owned. I assumed that I'd need it. But when I started looking at fuel maps to download, I noticed that everyone, including Power Commander, recommended using the stock filter for max torque gains on the FJ for both full systems and slip-ons.

At 120,000 miles it will start paying itself back :)
Sold! Fine by me, don't have to wait for a filter, and I don't plan on selling the bike. And filters need changing a lot in Australia with the crappy traffic and dusty conditions.And besides it'll be heaps less used filters in landfill due to me.. and I am all about the environment! :P 

Sold!...it'll be heaps less used filters in landfill due to me.. and I am all about the environment! :P
...jokes aside, you're a good sport :P . How many wash cycles does the filter last? How long between cycles? It would be good to know the real story... not the BS from the brochure.
Hahaha ;)  I had one in my old FZ6 for 40k, one in the Tenere 660 for 100k, all still going strong. You do get good value for money out of them. Most of them have a lifetime warranty. And yes I am supremely sceptical of salesman and brochure dribble too.. 

Archived