Tire choice - Size

fzkenm

I'm wondering what would be the effect of changing the rear tire size from a 180/55 to a 170/60.  Seems it might quicken the steering a little bit (narrower tire and higher cross section ratio).  Probably a little less unsprung weight as well, always a good thing.

Any experts care to weigh in with "expert opinions"?

I understand anytime you change one of the variables, there are a host of consequences.  It just seems that a 180 is a rather wide tire.  Dating myself, but I remember when a 130 was a wide tire.  A 150 was positively HUGE on my Hawk GT.

You are probably correct that the narrower tire will give you a quicker turn in, but you will also get a smaller contact patch. The FJ has a significant amount of torque so, personally, I want the larger tire. Also I don't have a problem with the turn in speed and feel that the FJ is pretty manueverable.

There are other things you can do to increase turn in speed without changing tire sizes. For instance, several members of the forum have raised the forks in the triple tree to speed up turn in and put slightly more weight towards the front end.

My "expert" opinion (as a random person on the internet with absolutely zero expertise) is don't change the recommended tires size. Some tires in the recommended range will have slightly different profiles that can assist you in your search for more maneuverability.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
When you strech that 170 tire to fit the larger rim you will end up lowering the center profile probably near what you had with the 180 tire.

Going with a 190 width tire would give you a higher profile as the tire is being squeezed into a smaller rim. I know a lot of guys do it but I doubt any of them really have a clue what the hell their doing.
BLB

• Supporting Member
When you strech that 170 tire to fit the larger rim you will end up lowering the center profile probably near what you had with the 180 tire.
I agree with this, you would  effectively negate any change you were hoping for and your tire bead wouldn't fit the wider rim quite as well.  170 vs 180 is just under half an inch.  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
have you tried something simple like adjusting the tyre pressures? Is your pressure gauge accurate?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

have you tried something simple like adjusting the tyre pressures? Is your pressure gauge accurate?
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. 
I need a new rear and just got to thinking.  Figured a broader range of thinkers would yield a more thorough consideration.  lol

Yeah, will stay with the stock size, but just got to wondering "what if".

• 2 months later...
The FJ-09 has a 5.5 inch wide rear wheel. The widest recommended wheel for a 170 tire is 5.0". So, not a good idea. My ZRX 1100 had about the same horsepower and more torque and weight than the FJ09, but the stock 170 tire worked just fine.

Archived