Loud rattle on slight hard acceleration.

Not sure if anyone else hears this and I "did" have the cam tensioner TSB done at the dealer. But whenever I do a slight heavy acceleration when temp is under about 130 degrees I get this ratted pounding sound so loud it scared me the first 2 times I heard it. I really thought it was something from another vehicle but it did it to me one morning when no one was around.
I baby the thing and always get 55-62 mpg and it is completely stock.
Any ideas?

Looked around but could find no info on this.
Joe

Its a 2015, just turned 10500mi, bought it 11 months ago brand new. I have always heard the CCT, very much before the repair and even more now after, in neutral. I can repeat it anytime the engine is cold without too much force/acceleration. I cant really tell where it comes from when im accelerating from a dead stop, lasts about 2 seconds. I believe the CCT was done 8000 miles ago. Ill see what I can do about a sound clip.
A month after it was done I went back to the dealer, they said it was normal and fine. But with this incredibly horrible sound im starting to wonder.

• Supporting Member
I baby the thing and always get 55-62 mpg
"Baby the thing" is an understatement... do you only ride down hill?  ;)   J/K 
When you say "heavy acceleration when temp is under about 130 degrees" and "I can repeat it anytime the engine is cold", I assume you mean before it is up to operating temperature?  Even on cold days, my operating temperature is about 155-157 while I am moving. 
It doesn't take too long for the engine to get up to temperature, so I assume if you are already out riding and the temperature reading is still under 130 then you must just start it and take off immediately?  I dont think the temperature readout even registers until it reaches 130 does it?  I think it just says "LO".
Could this be something specific to a cold engine?  I've never heard the noise you describe, but have also never ridden it before it gets up to temperature.  A loud metal on metal banging would sure scare me.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I baby the thing and always get 55-62 mpg
"Baby the thing" is an understatement... do you only ride down hill?  ;)   J/K 
When you say "heavy acceleration when temp is under about 130 degrees" and "I can repeat it anytime the engine is cold", I assume you mean before it is up to operating temperature?  Even on cold days, my operating temperature is about 155-157 while I am moving. 
It doesn't take too long for the engine to get up to temperature, so I assume if you are already out riding and the temperature reading is still under 130 then you must just start it and take off immediately?  I dont think the temperature readout even registers until it reaches 130 does it?  I think it just says "LO".
Could this be something specific to a cold engine?  I've never heard the noise you describe, but have also never ridden it before it gets up to temperature.  A loud metal on metal banging would sure scare me.

The C-Temp gauge will show low until about 104 F.. I usually just make sure it's registering about 109 on the c temp and don't go banging through gears until it's a little warmer. 130 is a safe operating temperature I would think.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived