bike not re-starting/ firing (difficulty) after riding

3clownsdown

Requesting help locating thread on bike not re-starting well (difficulty) after riding from point a to b.  Unnerving to say the least. Heard of the concern on the forum in the past and mine is now becoming frequent offender.  Need to get dealer to deal with this.   Nearing end of warranty period. 

Was it gas related (octane level) or vapor lock?

Thanks.

@3clownsdown there are a few threads if you do a search for "hard start"..

Maybe you could start here ( https://www.fj-09.org/thread/3176/hard-starting-randomly-redux?page=1 ) and see if anything helps.

I personally have never had this issue so don't really have any advice to offer.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

What do you mean by hard starting? A few extra turns to fire?

I always use the red kill button to stop motor when I'm ready to get off the bike, then I turn the key off when I'm off the bike...never had a hard start, maybe one extra turn in a blue moon...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Thanks for you reply.  I reviewed those prior posts. My routine is to turn bike off with the key only.  Always.

After riding, the bike occasionally needs to be cranked multiple and/or for extended periods.  So far it has eventually come alive.  But it feels like to fuel is not being fed to it....just cranks and cranks.  Yesterday I contacted the dealer and will drop it off for what they said is an "inspection". My 1 year warranty is about to lapse.  They are waffling about this being covered.  Seems like it should be to me.  May call Yamaha corporate myself to see what they say. 

Odometer is at +-5,000 miles and all service up to date at this dealer.  

My 2015 does this occasionally, whether the bike is warm or cold, although it seems more common with a warm bike.  I press the starter and the bike starts then immediately dies OR I hold the starter for 3-5 seconds with no start.  I have found that if I hold the starter and blip the throttle right when it starts, the engine will start and stay idling.  

I do have the 2wheeldyno ECU flash, which I believe reduces the RPM at idle.  Also, coming from a carbureted bike, the fuel injected FJ starts far easier.  I never thought it was an issue worth reporting, but I haven't been unable to start the bike for more than 20 seconds.

If you figure out something concrete I would love to hear it.

Thanks for you reply.  I reviewed those prior posts. My routine is to turn bike off with the key only.  Always.  
After riding, the bike occasionally needs to be cranked multiple and/or for extended periods.  So far it has eventually come alive.  But it feels like to fuel is not being fed to it....just cranks and cranks.  Yesterday I contacted the dealer and will drop it off for what they said is an "inspection". My 1 year warranty is about to lapse.  They are waffling about this being covered.  Seems like it should be to me.  May call Yamaha corporate myself to see what they say. 

Try using the red kill button to stop motor then turn key off,,,when you go to start the bike again turn key on, make sure red kill button is in off position first,turn key on, wait for dash to do its thing, then use the starter button...as soon as you engage the starter the bike wire should right up... 
When you just use the key to kill the motor it's my belief motorcycles take a few extra turns to fire up when it comes to fuel Injection system basically trying to find where it was and what it needs to do such as fuel pressure, injector timing hence the few extra turns...

Try using the red kill button to stop motor then turn key off,,,when you go to start the bike again turn key on, make sure red kill button is in off position first,turn key on, wait for dash to do its thing, then use the starter button...as soon as you engage the starter the bike wire should right up... 
When you just use the key to kill the motor it's my belief motorcycles take a few extra turns to fire up when it comes to fuel Injection system basically trying to find where it was and what it needs to do such as fuel pressure, injector timing hence the few extra turns...

I don't know about this. I turn my bike off with the key 95% of the time and have never had a hard starting issue.

I personally like to have the red switch in the run position when I turn the key to on. You can hear the fuel pump cycle/prime the fuel lines when the switch is on run. If you leave it in the stop position as you turn the key to on you will not hear the fuel pump do anything. Why would Yamaha program the fuel pump to cycle/prime during start up if we were meant to bypass it?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I don't know about this. I turn my bike off with the key 95% of the time and have never had a hard starting issue. 
I personally like to have the red switch in the run position when I turn the key to on. You can hear the fuel pump cycle/prime the fuel lines when the switch is on run. If you leave it in the stop position as you turn the key to on you will not hear the fuel pump do anything. Why would Yamaha program the fuel pump to cycle/prime during start up if we were meant to bypass it?
The fuel pump primes when the switch is turned from Off to On. If the switch is already on run when the key is turned on it primes immediately. If you first turn the key on with the switch in the Off position and then turn it to On you will then hear the fuel pump prime. Sometimes it may not prime if its already primed from a recent ride.

I will admit i do not fully understand the whole finer details of how the bike works, i understand there is more than 1 way to start and stop the motor... The reason i want him to try to start and stop the bike using the red kill switch is to eliminate variables...maybe the days he had a hard start he was ready to start the bike the way he does after he stopped for an errand for example, got distracted for a few mins from the odd stranger who wanted to talk about bikes, when the bike is still waiting to fire up, fuel pump still going for example over the hot motor,yadadada... I can see that potentially causing the bike to take a fee extra turns to fire... Yes i get ppl have a personal preference to hear the fuel pump prior to starting, but to me hearing the fuel pump is more regulated to the diagnostic side... I hope this clarifies things better...

Hi, I just wanted to say a word about that shutting off with the button rather than the key. I was also told to do that by my instructor. I know today I am a better rider because of most of what they told me, But that kill switch is bogus info. I have had two dead batteries so far when I needed the bike to perform. I'll be damned if I see an upside to this advice and I know for sure there is plenty of downside. If you can't turn the key off then just throw it on its side till the wheels quit spinning. My 2 cents.

Hi, I just wanted to say a word about that shutting off with the button rather than the key. I was also told to do that by my instructor. I know today I am a better rider because of most of what they told me, But that kill switch is bogus info. I have had two dead batteries so far when I needed the bike to perform. I'll be damned if I see an upside to this advice and I know for sure there is plenty of downside. If you can't turn the key off then just throw it on its side till the wheels quit spinning. My 2 cents.
The reason they teach you to use the kill switch is so it is habit in an emergency or so you don't make a stupid (noob) mistake which causes a problem. Its common for beginner's to forget they have the bike in 1st gear, and dump the clutch when they take their hand's off the bars and reach for the key.  
Another reason for even the most seasoned rider to use a kill switch: What would you do if you were riding in town at 45 mph and your throttle cable or clutch cable snapped? You'd want to use the kill switch to stop the engine without taking your hand's off the bars.

• Premium Member
Wow, I sure am glad that I learned to ride back when bikes didn't have all these little things to worry about or I probably would have given up on riding and found another hobby. 
BLB

Well gentlemen, whatever comes of this, your replies have been informative. I've been riding since the seventies and never thought much about a process to stop the bike under normal conditions (non emergency) other than turning the key to off. I think that most consumers will agree that this is a minimum requirement for a motor vehicle...to start and stop with the key.  This bike will not start on command.  So I intend to stick to this simple perspective and reiterate to Yamaha that it is unacceptable.

I will also certainly consider applying the theories and techniques discussed here further on my own if Yamaha is unsuccessful at diagnosing and correcting this. 

More detail of my bikes behavior:
-Typically happens when motor is run for over 20-30 minutes (hot) or more (hours) before stopping while on a day trip tour.  May have happened once when cold.  Gas brand used and gas station varies.  Bike may sit in the sun in front of restaurant for lunch and then not want to start.  
-When it does not fire...it REALLY is an extended thing! I may crank 10-15 seconds. Stop. Repeat. Nothing. Shut it all off and repeat...before it begins to sound like it is getting a bit of fuel. It's really unnerving and quite annoying when you are 100 miles from home. 

Next step:
Tomorrow the bike goes to my local dealer.  I also called and discussed the concern with Yamaha corporate in order to have a clear record of this and ask them to communicate with the dealer.  They agreed to do this and it has worked for me in the past. So stay tuned...

Thanks again.

Had this on the Xt1200Z. Massive threads about it. On the XT I solved mine by checking the coils (plug caps), replacing a couple ( there's 4 on the XT ) and spraying the whole cylinder head wiring with dielectric grease ( after connection).
The head area was apt to collect water causing corrosion and shorting of the coils. Some plug wells and coils showed signs of corrosion so these were either replaced or coated with dielectric grease.

On a new bike it could be the caps aren't sealing properly or water has affected the wiring/connectors. Depends on the conditons, jet washing etc.

Archived