bike not re-starting/ firing (difficulty) after riding

3clownsdown

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I also had a strange experience a few days ago when starting my bike cold. I pressed the start button and it tried to start and then died. not too concerning, I've had that happen before, so I tried again, and it wouldn't start. starter kept turning, but it couldn't start. after about 10 tries, I finally noticed that it didn't seem like it was getting enough gas, or something was cutting off the fuel. I tried consciously gunning the gas right after I hit the start button, and after about 5 tries, I got it to start. The engine felt like it was sputtering for about 15 seconds, then settled down. I haven't had any problems since, and have no idea what this was all about, but it was unsettling for sure.

I also had a strange experience a few days ago when starting my bike cold. I pressed the start button and it tried to start and then died. not too concerning, I've had that happen before, so I tried again, and it wouldn't start. starter kept turning, but it couldn't start. after about 10 tries, I finally noticed that it didn't seem like it was getting enough gas, or something was cutting off the fuel. I tried consciously gunning the gas right after I hit the start button, and after about 5 tries, I got it to start. The engine felt like it was sputtering for about 15 seconds, then settled down. I haven't had any problems since, and have no idea what this was all about, but it was unsettling for sure.
Probably just some freak thing. Unsettling for sure but I wouldn't be worried.

'15 FJ09

Okay, back with the UPDATE:
My bike was taken to the local Yamaha dealer a week ago. The tech diagnosed the problem and the faulty part has been replaced. Repair order states; "tech found the fuel check valve clogged and not allowing the fuel to breathe properly." In speaking to the tech, he said that while inspecting the valve he noticed that it did not open each time and would stick intermittently. They ordered replacement part from Japan and installed.
So far no repeat of the previous problems starting it.

Replacement parts:
1 rollover valve assembly: Part #2C0-24180-00-00

The work was completed under warranty, so no charge.

Will check back here if I experience any further difficulty starting. Thanks for you input!

• 1 year later...
Any updates so far after the rollover valve assembly replacement? Is it really the main culprit? I've been having this issue on and off and now my bike is at about 69000 km. Anyway, after a service on throttle body cleaning and fuel injector cleaning by some machine, it works fine but only to come back less than a year later. Now am going for the next throttle body cleaning servicing again. If that part is the culprit, then I will want to replace it.

Archived