Overpant suggestions? (warm/hot weather - Michigan riding)

tekwarren

I've been scouring different sites and watching some reviews but having a hard time deciding what will work for me and what is worth the cost.

I live in Michigan and don't ride in the winter so I am looking primarily at summer riding conditions and the transition into and out of season. I'm looking for something easy on/off to go over my work pants. I don't wear suits or anything that upscale but at this point jeans are only on Fridays. 

With my researching there are few pants that keep making it to the top...one that keeps coming up is the FIrstGear H/T Air. It seems there is a 2.0 version but it is near impossible to find in stock, Revzilla shows the original (I am assuming) in stock. Just wondering what others use and would recommend. I don't want a full suit. I have a decent leather jacket that doesn't need to be replaced just yet so I will not be matching the overpants with a specific jacket at this point.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
i have three pairs of First Gear over pants. I believe the first was called an HT overpant. Very warm even without the lining. I also have a mesh pair but they lack hip protection. My most current pair I believe is still called an HT. They have vents on the thigh that can be closed via zippers and velcro. First Gear loves velcro. A large thigh pocket and a pass through flap for each front pocket. I've used their products for years including mesh and regular jackets. I can't pull the trigger on the expensive gear although I know they are great products. First Gear pants are available in short lengths. Perfect for a guy approaching a single digit inseam!

• Premium Member
I have the First Gear Kathmandu Over Pants. They have a liner for colder weather that can be removed for warmer weather. They are comfortable and have suspenders to keep them from sliding down when riding. They also come with Knee and Hip Armor, and have pass through pockets to get to things in your pant pockets. (as well as normal pockets for storing small items). Limited colors, and cost ~300 at RevZilla. Link below:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-overpants

I used to wear a pair of Scorpion Covert jeans, I still do occasionally. They have a spot for hip and knee pads. In the mornings, it's kind of cold in the mornings, so I put them over my pants but I changed into them when I was going home and had my pants in a bag. These may be an option. I think they were $120

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-covert-jeans

I've been "struggling" for every trying to decide on a pair between the features I want and cost. I know cost shouldn't a big factor when considering safety but I tend to spend way to much time trying to find the best deal. I have nearly decided on a couple different pairs only to NOT be able to find them in my size anywhere or they are on back order. I had even convinced myself I might try white pants to help beat the heat on the hot days riding home or just general summer riding (my bike is the Raven black model). I think I would like full or 3/4 leg zippers so I can get the pants off without taking my boots off, then change my boots when I get inside to my desk. I am also leaning toward a summer pant as I can always layer for spring/fall riding. Need to figure out something here pretty quick as it is warming up and I want to start riding to work.

I have tourmaster Venture Air 2.0 pants, I like them.  They are cool in the summer (with airflow, because mesh.), and have a rain liner and insulated layer for cooler weather.
http://www.tourmaster.com/inc/sdetail/venture_air_2_0_pant/1065/400

Though I will admit I haven't tried the rain liner, typically if it is raining I wear a different over-pants.

The tourmaster gear is 'good value', (cheapish, but does get you 80% of what you want).  The pants are holding up well, but my Jacket (now 3 years old) is beginning to wear a bit (seams ripping and stuff).

• 2 weeks later...
I've had First Gear pants and jacket and they are great!

Not a mention of KLIM either.....now this gear is exceptional!
I bit the bullet last year and bought a complete set (jacket and pants) from Revzilla and shipped to Australia and it was still cheaper than buying here in Oz.

Anyway, glad you found something that suits your purpose and price bracket.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

For anyone using this thread for suggestions, my first pair of pants and still my only pair are the AGV Telluride pants. Dirt cheap and works perfect for me. Intake and exhaust zippers, waterproof lining, quilted liner, and ce rated knee pads. 

For anyone on the fence on getting actual riding pants, do it. I used to ride in regular pants and putting these pants on they are noticeably more comfortable. 

I don't have much to compare to other than regular pants, but these vent quite well, and I've never thought they were overheating me. I even had a small fall in them. Didn't have any injuries on my lower half and the pants still look great. 

Used my new Olympia Airglide 4 pants today finally on the ride in to work. I was worried they would feel weird while riding but not all! The fit is great, just over my jeans today but will be typically wear some sort of khaki type pants to work. It has been a little chilly in the mornings and I could feel that cool air through the pants so they will be great when it gets warmer (I took out the rain insert and will use it over when needed instead of inside). Super quick removal when I got to work with the full length side zips...no removing boots until I change at my desk. Really impressed with first ride in them.

Archived