Clutch

stephen

Anyone experienced a vibration when sitting in neutral with the clutch out.   Just had a ride out today and not even done 10 miles on the bike [/img]but I noticed that when I let out the clutch there is a noticeable vibration noise, probably more noise/rattle than vibration..  Definitely not a smooth feeling when sitting with motor running and clutch out, I presume that this is also happening when moving..  Maybe I should just wear ear plugs....

• Premium Member
Anyone experienced a vibration when sitting in neutral with the clutch out.   Just had a ride out today and not even done 10 miles on the bike [/img]but I noticed that when I let out the clutch there is a noticeable vibration noise, probably more noise/rattle than vibration..  Definitely not a smooth feeling when sitting with motor running and clutch out, I presume that this is also happening when moving..  Maybe I should just wear ear plugs....
That is a new one on me. Maybe record it so we can hear it, then compare to our bikes? 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member

Anyone experienced a vibration when sitting in neutral with the clutch out. Just had a ride out today and not even done 10 miles on the bike but I noticed that when I let out the clutch there is a noticeable vibration noise, probably more noise/rattle than vibration.. Definitely not a smooth feeling when sitting with motor running and clutch out, I presume that this is also happening when moving.. Maybe I should just wear ear plugs.... 
Read more: http://fj-09.org/post/4034/edit#ixzz3RmkvGlha
insert quote here

My bike, and all previous bikes that I have owned, made a slight rattling noise when the clutch is disengaged in neutral.  In fact, now that I think about it, my cars (with manual transmissions) did it too.  I think I remember someone saying it was the "throwout bearing", but that was on one of my cars...so don't quote me on that.

Anyway, I think its normal...errr, I HOPE its normal :-/  I'm interested to hear others chime in...as long as they say that its normal! :P

I have spoken to two other FZ/FJ owners and they said it is the same case for them. The vibration on mine became less after the first oil change. This is my first yamaha and I find its engine has more mechanical noise than engines from other major Japanese bike makers.

• 2 weeks later...
I was actually about to make a post about my clutch. It started making this noise and it was around the time for the first oil change. So I changed the oil thinking it would make the noise and vibration go away or reduce it but it seems unaffected. It's quite a significant noise. I could hear it at stoplights with earplugs in. I took a video. As you can see it makes different noised depending on whether the clutch is engaged vs disengaged. There's also a slight vibration in the bars when you release the clutch. The noise only becomes noticeable after the bike has warmed up. 

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkqYVMTtRs]

• Premium Member
Mine's the same - I notice it when at stop lights too.

It doesn't bother me and I assume it is just the clutch plates rattling a bit when not under load.

Any owners of bikes with dry clutches (Moto Guzzi, Ducati or BMW for example) will be very used to clutch rattle noises.

I have just searched a random MT09/FZ09 forum and there are a few posts about it and owners seem to accept this a characteristic of the engine.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Think it normal and makes a rattle as there is no pressure on the thrust bearing.
Test it by putting the bike on the centre stand and running it in 1st gear, in theory shouldn't make the noise (fingers crossed).
Haven't noticed it on my bike yet but have a Mack truck that does the same thing and definately normal for that.

Archived