Top Speed

Alright so im sure there is already a thread about this, but I want to know what the fastest everyone has gotten their FJs up to with the limiter taken off. I had my fj flashed from 2 wheel dinoworks and the only other mods to the engine would be that I have a full titanium akra exhaust.In A mode, 5th gear will take me to about 130-135 and shifting into 6th, I can't seem to make it past 140. Not really that dissappointed at all because it does start to get pretty sketchy up at those speeds. Just pretty strange to me that the bike doesn't have the power to climb in 6th gear at that speed. Maybe downhill with a tornado behind me I could hit 145-150 after about a 10 mile straightaway! Anyways just seeing what everyone else has experienced, let me know!

140 (ish) is probably about it....was that GPS or speedo?, bags or top-case on? other mods? Given that its 851CC and in the ball-park of a modest 115 RWHP, 140 MPH is realistically about it. I'm impressed with the choices by Yamaha engineers on internal gear ratios and final drive gearing. They prioritized gearing for real-world performance and to get the most bang for the buck out of that engine. 6th ratio is a compromise between relaxed cruising speed and useable passing performance but the bike probably ain't got the beans to pull redline in that gear.  

• Premium Member
Try it dropping the front sprocket to 15 teeth; even more snappy if at the expense of gas mileage. People have complained about vibration but sometimes even with the 15 tooth CS sprocket I am often surprised to find I'm in 4th gear at 70+ mph without being bothered by vibration. Maybe the BBs I packed into the handle bars, R&G nylon bar end sliders and KTM handguards with the rubber clad foot pegs (installed after below photos) have been effective. I have Givi touring screen with the MRW spoiler plus a Shad SH46 top case out back and twin driving lights (but I don't run the Shad SH36 side cases unless I'm on tour), so the most I've seen on my Garmin and cell phone is about 118 (flash by Vcyclenut) due to pushing my size 52 upper mass and 104 kg without full gear (which I ALWAYS wear) with the barn door in front along with the 15 tooth sprocket. I've been seriously trying to slim down and have a bikini wind screen for warm/hot weather but I'm not sure with that and no top case the 15T will actually be a hindrance to cracking a ton + 40 given where the redline is if I kiss the tank and squeeze hard it with my knees.

20170324_155014.jpg

20170324_155020.jpg

20170326_163142.jpg

20170326_162923.jpg

20161126_145925.jpg

20161126_145956.jpg

• Supporting Member
Try it dropping the front sprocket to 15 teeth; even more snappy if at the expense of gas mileage. People have complained about vibration but sometimes even with the 15 tooth CS sprocket I am often surprised to find I'm in 4th gear at 70+ mph without being bothered by vibration.
I changed to a 15T counter shaft sprocket myself and love it!  The engine is much more responsive feeling I still find myself in 4th on the interstate on occasion.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Alright so im sure there is already a thread about this, but I want to know what the fastest everyone has gotten their FJs up to with the limiter taken off. I had my fj flashed from 2 wheel dinoworks and the only other mods to the engine would be that I have a full titanium akra exhaust.In A mode, 5th gear will take me to about 130-135 and shifting into 6th, I can't seem to make it past 140. Not really that dissappointed at all because it does start to get pretty sketchy up at those speeds. Just pretty strange to me that the bike doesn't have the power to climb in 6th gear at that speed. Maybe downhill with a tornado behind me I could hit 145-150 after about a 10 mile straightaway! Anyways just seeing what everyone else has experienced, let me know!

Pretty much my experience also after a Flash with a aftermarket full system, but i should say that i haven't had a proper chance to fully test the top end as the roads are just to busy, i will update this post as and when i find some empty road space.  

Might be an aerodynamics thing. I've seen a video of an FZ 09 hitting an indicated 270 km/h. The FJ has the same gearing but a larger frontal area.

Ivan's performance hit around 164 MPH on the dyno.
3ea6f19dcbda595d9c34f92ddf2b50c1.gif

I hit 125ish mph before it started to get risky... I suspect my factory balanced wheels will need a proper re-balancing job due to the fact the FJ-09 is factory speed limited to 115ish mph on non reflash ECU, so my thought was why balance beyond 115mph if they are speed limited ?...for me the front end feels like it's almost trying float the tire just a hair off the road surface at 8.5k-9k rpms range in 5th gear and also when the shift light kicks on at 8.5k rpms, the split second it hits 6th gear it still proceeds to still pull the front end up to the top of the forks allows without coming back down between shifts due to the power of the legendary 2WDW/Woolich/Graves knockout combo ?

I have tried diffrent suspension settings to remedy the light front end feeling at peak rpms... never experienced this prior with reflash for stock exhaust at first...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Just a personal thing, but I wouldn't attempt a top speed run with the side bags on.....and certainly not with a top bag. JMO but, not much degrades a motorcycle's handling limits like a top box. Again, just my personal opinion...I'm OK with a top speed of (just)140 MPH. That allows an easy sustained cruise speed of 100+ MPH---which realistically is about all that's prudent in the U.S.

I've had bikes that would push 200 MPH and have applied that capability a few times. It's irresponsible (on public roads) and a trip to jail/illegal of course....and has become irrelevant for me.

Try it dropping the front sprocket to 15 teeth; even more snappy if at the expense of gas mileage. People have complained about vibration but sometimes even with the 15 tooth CS sprocket I am often surprised to find I'm in 4th gear at 70+ mph without being bothered by vibration. Maybe the BBs I packed into the handle bars, R&G nylon bar end sliders and KTM handguards with the rubber clad foot pegs (installed after below photos) have been effective. I have Givi touring screen with the MRW spoiler plus a Shad SH46 top case out back and twin driving lights (but I don't run the Shad SH36 side cases unless I'm on tour), so the most I've seen on my Garmin and cell phone is about 118 (flash by Vcyclenut) due to pushing my size 52 upper mass and 104 kg without full gear (which I ALWAYS wear) with the barn door in front along with the 15 tooth sprocket. I've been seriously trying to slim down and have a bikini wind screen for warm/hot weather but I'm not sure with that and no top case the 15T will actually be a hindrance to cracking a ton + 40 given where the redline is if I kiss the tank and squeeze hard it with my knees. 
20170324_155014.jpg

20170324_155020.jpg

20170326_163142.jpg

20170326_162923.jpg

20161126_145925.jpg

20161126_145956.jpg

It was with the speedometer only. No bags. I've tried going 120 with the bags on and it was far too shaky. Front tire was losing traction and handlebars were shaking more than I felt comfortable with. I'll look into the new sprocket as I feel like I will be needing one soon!

Archived