• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Riding to VA from Dallas, looking for tips

• Premium Member
I haven't been hanging out here much since I traded my FJ for an XSR, but I know some (a lot?) of you tour on the FJ.  I posted this on the XSR/FZ forum I frequent, but thought maybe y'all would have more thoughts than they would.

Anyways, my planned bicycle trip from Dallas to East of Richmond, VA this June had to be postponed, so instead, I'm taking the XSR. Aside from a weekend camping trip, this'll be my first time touring on a motorcycle, let alone the XSR and I'm curious if y'all have any tips or advice.

My plan is to follow the 1900 mile route I was going to ride my bicycle covering the distance is 3 1/2 to 5 days depending how I feel.
gbANID4.jpg

The first day will be a half day from Dallas to Tulsa on the interstate since I've already driven that portion of the bicycle route. From Tulsa to where I'm going in VA, I plan to take 3 or 4 days, camping each night. (Ignore the markers on the map, they are there from me importing the .GPX files from the bicycle route)

I'll probably be running a similar setup to the picture below from when I did my camping trip last year. I'll have more room as I've replaced my tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag with much lighter and much smaller versions (for the bicycle trip). I'm also considering picking up some cheap saddlebags if I think I'll need room.
ySHOUok.jpg

For riding gear, I'm planning on using my Rev'it Airstream leather jacket, normal helmet, leather gloves, and TCX waterproof boots. I'm still trying to figure out pants. I've got some mesh ones I picked up at CycleGear that are ok, but more and more, I'm thinking I want to spend some money and get some good quality protective stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be good for 3-5 days in the saddle?

Aside from that, I'm not sure what more there is to add. I'm just looking for any advice and/or tips for doing a trip like this. I've been reading websites, seeing what people say about eating and hydration, etc.. But, I don't know what I don't know.

Saddlebags are a great idea. Keep the weight low and the the bike rides better. Kevlar lined jeans are great to ride in and OK off the bike. Also, what about an inexpensive rain over-suit? Good for rain and warmth on cold mornings. On long rides it is easy to get dehydrated so regular stops to stretch and gas the bike and body will keep you fresh. If you don't have cruise control a device to hold the throttle open is great to let you stretch your right hand. Here is the type I use.

cruisecontrol.jpg

Tank bags are a great addition because you can get at some stuff while moving. Hard candies to suck on while you're eating up miles on the interstate can be a great way to keep from getting bored and stay alert.

• Premium Member
Run into AR from OK. Talamena scenic drive. Head up to MO around Eureka Springs then across. Lots of good roads around the KY/ VA/ TN border running across state lines.

• Premium Member
+1 on a throttle lock and tank bag. I like paper maps so a map case is a must.

Don't know your timeframe BUT...

Check your route Southern Missouri and North Arkansas are under water right now.

http://fox2now.com/2017/05/03/interactive-map-of-missouri-roads-closed-by-flooding/

Screenshot_4.png

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Saddlebags are a great idea. Keep the weight low and the the bike rides better. Kevlar lined jeans are great to ride in and OK off the bike. Also, what about an inexpensive rain over-suit? Good for rain and warmth on cold mornings. On long rides it is easy to get dehydrated so regular stops to stretch and gas the bike and body will keep you fresh. If you don't have cruise control a device to hold the throttle open is great to let you stretch your right hand. Here is the type I use. 

Great stuff. I'm looking at some jeans and rain gear Friday.

Gotcha on the dehydration and regular stops. I have a similar strategy when I drive cross country. I normally stop every 2 hours (due to my old man bladder). With the bike, it gets about 135 miles before the reserve light comes on, so there will be some forced stops.

I'm looking at some, relatively inexpensive, saddlebags.  Nelson-Rigg Sport 40's or CL-905's.  I don't want to spend much money as I don't know the next time I'll ever use them.  I know I rarely used the side cases on my FJ-09 when I had it.

Tank bags are a great addition because you can get at some stuff while moving. Hard candies to suck on while you're eating up miles on the interstate can be a great way to keep from getting bored and stay alert.

I haven't heard that about hard candies. I'm going to give that a try. I also usually listen to books on tape when I drive cross country. It really helps keep me from getting bored and keeps me awake.

Run into AR from OK. Talamena scenic drive. Head up to MO around Eureka Springs then across. Lots of good roads around the KY/ VA/ TN border running across state lines.

I agree with the Talimena Byway. I've ridden my bicycle up there and it's amazing and there are a lot of beautiful roads up there. However, I'm have to stick to the route I posted. I want to ride it as a sort of scouting mission because I want to ride it next year on my bicycle... solo.

One thing I didn't mention is on my return trip, I'm planning on riding the Skyline Dr, Blue Ridge Pkwy, and Natchez Trace.

+1 on a throttle lock and tank bag. I like paper maps so a map case is a must.  
Don't know your timeframe BUT...

Check your route Southern Missouri and North Arkansas are under water right now.

http://fox2now.com/2017/05/03/interactive-map-of-missouri-roads-closed-by-flooding/

I'm heading out mid June, so, hopefully, things have dried up by then. I've also got paper maps. There's a site that sells these great maps for bicycle touring various routes across the country, so I bought them for my bike trip (which I've postponed and doing this instead).

• Premium Member
Every state has a website that tells you what's up on their highways.

I would check just before you leave. It can take a while to replace a washed out road...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived