New member from FL

rg88

I've been lurking on this site for a long time now while trying to decide what will be my next bike. I'm about 99% it'll be an FJ-09.  It just ticks all the boxes for me and when I test rode one at Daytona during bike week I had a permanent grin on my face.  I didn't want to finance it so I picked up another job for the purpose of getting a new bike.  In about 2-3 months I should have around 11K to get an FJ.  Any advice on buying a new bike would be helpful.  I've bought my past bikes used and may still go this route with the FJ.  I've only dealt with dealers once before with my car and hated the experience.

We currently have 2 generations of the FJ-09... 2017+ bikes which is the 2nd generation have a few extra bells and whistles over the 1st generation... Nothing wrong with the 1st generation bikes, we the forum have hammered out all the little quirks with multiple solutions... The 2017 have a few extra lvls of traction control, drive mode saver and a few other tiny features I think... Keep an eye out for used FJ-09... Most are still on stock exhaust, ECU reflashed, hard bags and some already got suspension upgrades for the rider north of 225# if owner is used to high end suspension...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Hi and welcome.  I'm a professional lurker myself.  If you can wait until August you might be able to get a better deal at the dealerships.  However, you may be able to get a better deal on used with bags and other goodies going used now.  Oh, central Florida here.  

I've been lurking on this site for a long time now while trying to decide what will be my next bike. I'm about 99% it'll be an FJ-09.  It just ticks all the boxes for me and when I test rode one at Daytona during bike week I had a permanent grin on my face.  I didn't want to finance it so I picked up another job for the purpose of getting a new bike.  In about 2-3 months I should have around 11K to get an FJ.  Any advice on buying a new bike would be helpful.  I've bought my past bikes used and may still go this route with the FJ.  I've only dealt with dealers once before with my car and hated the experience.
Good news!  You can quit your second job much sooner.  A new FJ-09, particularly a leftover model, can be had, out the door, for considerably less than 11K.  When I bought my 15 new in January 2015, I walked out for just over $10K, including tax. 
Check Cycletrader and the Lowest Out the Door thread on the forum for price references.  Good luck!

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum. SOFLA here. Ft. Lauderdale area. Where abouts are you?

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Hi and welcome.  I'm a professional lurker myself.  If you can wait until August you might be able to get a better deal at the dealerships.  However, you may be able to get a better deal on used with bags and other goodies going used now.  Oh, central Florida here.  
One problem I have is that I plan on selling my current bike to help pay for the FJ.  At the moment there's only one car (mine) which my GF uses for work while I use the bike as my daily commuter.  So, I'm waiting for her (who's also working two jobs) to get enough money for a car so I can sell the bike.  Hopefully this will happen by at least August.  By the way I'm in the Tampa Bay area.

• Premium Member
Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find a bike you like. There are typically bikes offered for sale here on the forum, and you can find used fj-09's around if you just start looking. If money is an issue, I would go with the used bike route. You will likely get a few mods included, and get a price much less than the sticker.

Good luck, and don't be shy about asking questions here if you aren't sure about something.

Good news!  You can quit your second job much sooner.  A new FJ-09, particularly a leftover model, can be had, out the door, for considerably less than 11K.  When I bought my 15 new in January 2015, I walked out for just over $10K, including tax. 
Check Cycletrader and the Lowest Out the Door thread on the forum for price references.  Good luck!
I can't wait until the day I quit. I honestly didn't think I'd last this long.  My love for motorcycles is the only thing that keeps me going most days.  
I check cycletrader daily and I'll definitely check out the thread.  Thanks for the tip!

Archived