600 miles 1st service

• Premium Member
I did the 600 mile service myself. The only thing on this service that your typical rider may not want to do, is the throttle body synchronization. I opted to defer that, since my bike was running/idling smoothly.

Buy the service manual, it's much cheaper, and provides step-by-step instructions for most service items.

I did the 600 mile service myself. The only thing on this service that your typical rider may not want to do, is the throttle body synchronization. I opted to defer that, since my bike was running/idling smoothly. 
Buy the service manual, it's much cheaper, and provides step-by-step instructions for most service items.
100% agree with this...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I second.

'15 FJ09

Hey aeg, after researching...I found that the FJ-09 comes with oil that is thinner and made for breaking in the bike and should be changed no sooner than 600 miles. 
I got a oil change discount for the 1st Oil change only when I purchased my bike so I only paid for the new oil.

I was going to change the oil myself but decided to just let them drain the factory oil and check everything out, tighten the chain, etc...it was easy as I watched ;)

You did not mention the shop checking the throttle body sync. Did they skip this? 

Do it your self, check the connections, etc... TB synch is totally not needed till the point the bike is running rough...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Mine skipped the TBS too. Just oil. And loosened up the chain. To tight, runs smoother now. Now with 1600 miles on it runs crazy good. Mainjet
Yeah, Yamaha got it wrong when they released this bike in 2015. The manual says chain slack s/b 5.0-15.0 mm (0.20-0.59 in), which is way too tight. 
I don't remember them coming out with an official announcement, but now they are suggesting something just over 1 inch.

I'll have oil and a filter waiting in my garage when I get back to CO; bike will 800-ish at this point. Pick up the bike Sunday in LA and she will be all broken in by Monday when I'm home. Actually since its a demo model with 104 on the clock likely already mostly broken in. Also bringing a 27mm socket just in case the dealer setup on the chain in overly tight.

Archived