Stock preload adjuster wrench

jaydee914

Hi, I apologize if this has been covered before, but a search brought up nothing.

I'm sure somebody owns a higher quality preload adjustment wrench than the stocker that lives under the seat. Can anybody recommend one? I've been using that little guy that came with the bike and not only is it a pain in the a$$, it's bent a few times, making it even more difficult.

Are all preload adjusters the same spacing so that I can use any preload wrench?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi, I apologize if this has been covered before, but a search brought up nothing.  
I'm sure somebody owns a higher quality preload adjustment wrench than the stocker that lives under the seat. Can anybody recommend one? I've been using that little guy that came with the bike and not only is it a pain in the a$$, it's bent a few times, making it even more difficult.

Are all preload adjusters the same spacing so that I can use any preload wrench?

Thanks.
You can get an adjustable hook spanner wrench anywhere they sell mechanics tools, they work much better and a medium size one will fit most shocks.
BLB

• Premium Member
Thanks. Anybody know the size of our adjuster? I have a choice between 32-76mm or 51-121mm.
75mm for the oem shock, l would go with the larger wrench if you can fit it in there.
BLB

Thanks!
Could you post what you're picking up, if it works? Adjusting only from the one side (clutch side) will require a very low profile (narrow) tool to fit underneath the 'nut', or something with two hooks like this Ohlins wrench. Is there something I'm not seeing? 

spanner.png

Unfortunately the one I bought is way too fat to fit so I'll be returning it.
What does everyone else use? My wife has been enjoying riding on the bike more and more so I need something that makes adjusting preload easier without bending! (And no, a new shock with remote adjuster isn't in the cards...yet)

• 3 weeks later...
I just had to return a second wrench that didn't fit between the shock and swing arm.
So does everybody here use the stock wrench to adjust preload? I can't believe that. Can anybody recommend a quality wrench to adjust preload?

I use the stock wrench I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I've only used it 5 or 6 times.
...it would be useful to have two sets... one on the bike, and one in the shop. Universal fit wrenches don't seem to work very well.

Yeah, that was my plan, but I can't find anything other than stock that fits.

• 5 months later...
The tool that Piotrek referenced with a picture is actually for steering bearing adjustment.

I’m not sure if it’s big enough to fit the preload adjuster on the rear shock.

I’ll try mine out today and let you know. If it is, bonus for one tool for both purposes!

-skip

The tool that Piotrek referenced with a picture is actually for steering bearing adjustment.  
I’m not sure if it’s big enough to fit the preload adjuster on the rear shock.

I’ll try mine out today and let you know. If it is, bonus for one tool for both purposes!

-skip
Yeah, that's where the link took me... looks wrong for the job. 
I will just pickup a spare to throw in my toolbox... Yamaha part 1RC-28135-00-00. $5USD at Partzilla. I will bolt on an extension... done.

There you go.

FWIW, I don’t have my FJ near me, but that spanner wrench pictures DOES work on the preload adjuster for an FZ07. Barely, but it fits. Feels a bit more secure than my universal one actually.

423d6e4fada2bd76bc12e549fd2fedf1.jpg

Archived