cant seem to tighten rear sprocket nuts to torque

im havin issues changing my sprocket... while trying to reach 80nm of torque on the 6 nuts of the rear sprocket seems like the bolt is turning underneath so when i tighten the nut its like if it is no longer tightening (sorry not sure im very clear). has anyone run into this issue?

Don't panic... yet. I haven't taken the FJ sprocket off, but if its like my other bikes then the bolt will have a shoulder. The shoulder rests up against the backside of the sprocket carrier. If the bolt gets out of position, you may have a 'stripped' like sensation.

So look carefully at the backside of your sprocket carrier at the bolts.

'15 FJ09

• 1 month later...
hold on a sec. 80N/m? As in 60 ft/lb? You can't be serious. I wouldn't go higher than 44 ft/lb (common Suzuki spec) and frankly anything over 35 should be quite sufficient. The bolt is in sheer and tightness isn't actually all that important - provided the sprocket isn't wobbling about. By comparison brake caliper bolts (radial or conventional) are generally around 25-30 ft/lb and they are subject to all kinds of bending moments.

If something looks wrong (and just insane values are all over the manual) then check alternate sources.
This one will give you an idea as to what it should be:
http://www.dansmc.com/torque_chart.htm

• Premium Member
Yeah, I noticed it's also listed on the common torque values thread on this forum: Here
I was looking up torque for the rear axle nut and that one popped out as way too high for those tiny nuts.  These values also come from the service manual and state to increase torque in stages using a criss-cross pattern.
Possibly another misprint in the service manual?

So i just took my sprocket off and three of the nuts did come off and the rest pulled the studs out. Looks like i only stripped the upper part of the stud and the nuts so i will be replacing all studs and nuts just to be safe and i will definitely not do that again!... knock on wood

I watched many track junkies, amateur racers and a very reputable mechanics casually tighting the rear axle nut by hand with a much lower torque when swapping tires/wheels. No one lost a tire so far. The tech I trust actually stated the specs are off the wall on the torque numbers.

Archived