Thieves broke my ignition, easy to replace?

docsimple

Assholes tried to steal my bike tonight. Came into my garage and rolled it down the street and then tried to force it to start by jamming keys in the ignition. Thankfully they were unable to get it started and when I called the police they noticed it on the way to my house. Talk about relief.

Now I need to replace the ignition switch, this is one job I have never had to do before. Anybody do this yet? The parts are only about $100 but I wonder i I need special tools to replace it. Any advice gladly accepted. 

Except locking my bike better, already on that and got that advice from the cop.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

WHAT!? Glad you were able to recover it quickly! Sorry, no advice for replacing the ignition switch, but had to comment.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

thanks. I was about to say "you have no idea how happy i was" but you own a bike, you know :)

I have never been so happy to talk to a cop. Don't get me wrong I'm not a hater but those conversations usually involve a ticket. Like 60 seconds into the call he tells me its on the corner and like an idiot i'm running down the street barefoot. I think my aftermarket parts cost more than the bikes bluebook value now!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

probably 2 wires to connect and a few bolts to remove the old busted unit... only problem is you will have 2 sets of keys, one for ignition and the other to open gas cap and pillion seat just like the old GM car keys from the 90s, square key for ignition and round key for doors... 

EU spec bikes have the fancy coded keys ?...dunno on that
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Except locking my bike better, already on that and got that advice from the cop.
docsimple, Sorry to hear about the  attempted theft, cant advise on lock replacments, i would contact Yamaha maybe you can get an ignition keyed to the bike ..... I have in the past had an attempted bike theft, luckily  an elderly neighbour spotted the scumbags, i will never moan about her being a nosy interfering busybody again.   ;)   
I now have a layered security set up, as in lighting censor, locked gate, locked garage, ground anchor/chain, disck lock alarm and a  padlock through the rear sprocket. the padlock on the sprocket is hard to spot and is intended to be a last resort if all else fails.

and something to be aware of is people who steal other peoples property are usually lazy feckless idiots, they now know were a bike is kept and the level of security and my return for a second attempt, this was a warning given to me from the police.  

I would be surprised if the bolts holding the barrel weren't some kind of security fixing to stop easy removal.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

looks to be 2 big ole ACME sized "pop-rivets" are used to secure it... looked in my service manual and nada about removal of the "main switch" ... 

looks you gotta pull the airbox to get to the 2 connections... remove handlebars to get the top tree clamp off to get to the rivets on the bottom side...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I helped a friend install a set of Genmar risers on his FJR. This required removal of the ignition switch. The switch used security bolts. To remove, you cut the head off, remove the switch and unthread the remainder of the bolt. Simple metric bolts were used as replacement of the security bolts. I'd bet Yamaha used the same on the FJ09 as the FJR.

thanks all. Looks like I can get the OEM with a key for about $100 or I can get an aftermarket set that has gas, seat and ignition with keys for $35. While tempted I think for this sticking with OEM is probably the way to go.

As for security I'm fairly sure I spaced closing the garage door. It is now closed and barred so even if you have a remote that will open the door it won't open.
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Doc - make sure you order 2 new bolts as well. Your old ones will NOT be re-usable.

The easiest way to get the old ones out (they do not have anything on the surface to grab onto) is to drill off the head with a bit that is slightly larger than the stud diameter - similar to drilling out a rivet. Stepping up sizes, of course.

Some of the ign switches are put on with Loctite on the bolt threads, which also makes getting them out a chore.

The new bolts have a "break-away" stud on the top, which allows you tighten them with a socket. They snap off when the correct torque is reached.

Oh, and you'll have to take half the bike apart to find the other end of the electrical connectors - as another poster mentioned

HTH,
Skip

• Premium Member
Doc - make sure you order 2 new bolts as well. Your old ones will NOT be re-usable. 
The easiest way to get the old ones out (they do not have anything on the surface to grab onto) is to drill off the head with a bit that is slightly larger than the stud diameter - similar to drilling out a rivet. Stepping up sizes, of course.

Some of the ign switches are put on with Loctite on the bolt threads, which also makes getting them out a chore.

The new bolts have a "break-away" stud on the top, which allows you tighten them with a socket. They snap off when the correct torque is reached.

Oh, and you'll have to take half the bike apart to find the other end of the electrical connectors - as another poster mentioned

HTH,
Skip
Can't speak to the FJ, but I did this on my Katana and the shear bolts had to be drilled out.  Get the bolts ordered just in case.  Go OEM with the keys.

Archived