I think I messed something up pretty terribly...

chappssss

Last night I was installing my new Akropovic exhaust and accidentally over-tightened the 6 bolts that hold the headers in place. I was using a torque wrench, but for some reason it wasn't clicking under the correct pressure (maybe I wasn't using it right) and since I've never done this before I figured "well, the instructions say 22nm which it's set to so I'll just keep tightening until it clicks". Well that was apparently too much, and it ended up bending the bolts coming out of the engine and the brackets that come on the header. After I noticed this, I used a different torque wrench and re-torqued it and the tightness seemed much more normal, but it was too late and the damage from before has already been done. 

What kind of damage and repairs am I looking at here? (obviously will have a shop do it). Are those bolts coming out of the engine easily replaceable, or is it more serious than that?

L3ghn
http://imgur.com/a/L3ghn

vCYD0
http://imgur.com/a/vCYD0

Guest kernowjim
the studs are fairly easy to remove from the cylinder head - a stud remover will do the job.  Hopefully the threads are not damaged or they will need to be heli-coiled (new thread inserted into drilled out hole).

Not sure what you can do about the bent header flanges on the Akrapovic, they would need to be removed to be straightened out - they may still hold the header on though despite being bent, just depends on how bent.

Both of the previous responses have their merits. If you're OCD and want everything 'perfect' then removing them isn't too difficult. BUT if the headers and firmly sealed to the exhaust ports, and your a function over form guy, phuck it and run it. It will be okay.

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
Some thoughts.

The job of an exhaust flange is to hold the header pipe to the head and exhaust gasket. Is it doing that? If it is. Why f**k with it? It ain't that big a deal to change it. But why?

If I was going on an epic along the lines of a round the world trip, maybe. Probably not.

If you are going to be riding around your local area over the next 2-3 weeks keep and eye on it and if nothing changes, ignore it.

My money is on it'll be fine.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Some thoughts. 
The job of an exhaust flange is to hold the header pipe to the head and exhaust gasket. Is it doing that? If it is. Why f**k with it? It ain't that big a deal to change it. But why?

If I was going on an epic along the lines of a round the world trip, maybe. Probably not.

If you are going to be riding around your local area over the next 2-3 weeks keep and eye on it and if nothing changes, ignore it.

My money is on it'll be fine.
It's not the flanges I'm worried about, it's the studs coming out of the engine that are bent outward. I'm worried it could have caused a crack in the engine case or some other damage that can get worse over time. Either way, it's going to bug me

• Premium Member

"Either way, it's going to bug me"

Then fix it. Or have it looked at. What ever will put your mind at ease.

But the reality is if you cracked the case, you cracked the case. IMO not all that likely.

Good luck.....

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived