Chance of performance loss or damage by removing baffle?

chappssss

I have the Akropovic titanium racing exhaust and was a little underwhelmed by the volume and sound of it. On the first start up I was expecting it to be a louder and angrier sounding, but it's not quite what I was hoping for. If I remove the baffle, would that have any negative effects on the performance or bike itself? I got my ECU flashed by 2WDW for that exhaust, but I assume the map they used was for the baffle in. Who has experience with this and what was the outcome? I assume the carbon and titanium systems are very different in terms of volume and tone so specifically looking for people who have the titanium system. A lot of people claim it's too loud with it out, is there any way to find a nice middle ground?

just firing it up and not riding it is not a good indicator of how loud the exhaust gets.... My Graves sounds nice at idle with baffle out but even a good 15min highway ride will make me use ear plugs...

you could always buy another baffle and experiment with diffrent length baffle tubes or drilling holes in the baffle tube...

performance loss is possible- A well designed exhaust should not show any difference in HP/TQ rather using the baffle or not-
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I have the same exhaust and do not use the baffle. I do not have t tune, but I did do the block off plates. I have always worn earplugs while riding but have forgotten them a couple times. I forgot them once with the exhaust and I turned around to go back to put them in. I don't see any gains or losses with the exhaust and no tune, someday I might do one, but don't see the point at this time.

Guest kernowjim
It is extremely difficult to improve on the manufacturer exhaust system as millions are spent on research.  Aftermarket exhausts make the bike louder but mid range power is often lost - a complete and utter waste of money in my opinion.  Put the original system back on and sell the Akra on eBay.

It is extremely difficult to improve on the manufacturer exhaust system as millions are spent on research.  Aftermarket exhausts make the bike louder but mid range power is often lost - a complete and utter waste of money in my opinion.  Put the original system back on and sell the Akra on eBay.
Kernowjim The Akra is an official Yamaha accessory, so some of them millions were spent on its design, chappssss i have just put one on and left the baffle in, i contacted the guy who did my flash for another aftermarket exhaust with baffle in and he told me that the flash will be Ok with the Akra with baffle in but he recommended to re-flash if i wanted to run with out the baffle ...... I like noise it's part of the motorcycle experience for me, the Akra sounds ok in the lower rev range and has a nice howl at the top of the rev range, so in my opinion not a waste of money, if you google Akropovic titanium Mt-09 baffle mod you will find some information on shortening the baffle to make it sound more meaty ......  put the oem exhaust in the garage, when you sell the bike swap exhausts put the Akra on ebay and get 50% of your money back ...  :)

Guest kernowjim
hmm yes it is an official Yamaha accessory but of course Yamaha know that people just want more noise at the expense of performance and ride-ability and will sell it accordingly.

OEM exhausts have a focus on meeting emissions, reducing harsh (cheap sounding) engine noise, and limiting vibration. A small part of the design goes towards optimal back pressures and avoiding resonance issues, but professional aftermarket exhaust manufacturers (especially higher end ones like Akra) do this as well. Almost every single OEM exhaust ever made can easily be improved on in terms of performance and sound at the cost of reducing the efficacy of the (strict) emissions systems. 
Mid range power is typically not lost when accompanied by a tune or when a reasonable exhaust is chosen. Yeah if you run an open header without a tune you're going to lose bottom and mid range... I gain quite a bit of torque down low and in the mid range on my FZ-07 when I remove the baffle from my Akra Ti and run the correct tune.

hmm yes it is an official Yamaha accessory but of course Yamaha know that people just want more noise at the expense of performance and ride-ability and will sell it accordingly.
I think you don't like noisy exhausts , performance and ride-ability with the Akra especial with a flash are greatly improved, no loss of mid-range power...... the original poster asked for people with experience of the Akra, you made a sweeping statement  based on your dislike of noisy exhausts with no actual knowledge on the subject ......  Do you ride with a high vis vest with polite emblazoned on it.    :P

Guest kernowjim
"your dislike of noisy exhausts with no actual knowledge on the subject" - is this not the very definition of a sweeping statement?  There's no call for you to be a complete ass, so keep it polite eh?

Jim, you really come across as a bit of a" no it all my opinion is the law" type of guy ..... you didn't give any helpful information of the question in the  original post just your opinion, that the guy should put the oem exhaust back on and sell the akro and that he was wasting his time even contemplating any exhaust other than the oem because they are all inferior .... when some one disagrees with you and gives some feedback of actual knowledge of the exhaust in question, You through your toys out of the pram  ..... Jim last words from me i will not waste any more time on you ......  

This is the worst misinformation spreading I've seen on this forum well done. We get it you don't like aftermarket exhaust systems.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Guest kernowjim
I have nothing against aftermarket exhaust systems and have bought plenty over the years on older bikes - however, these days it's not as simple as bolting on a straight through pipe and thinking that will be an improvement over the OE system that has cost thousands to develop, think about it.  In the most likely scenario, you'll gain noise and weight loss but you'll lose low and mid range performance and of course, money.  I'm not saying that that's the right opinion for everyone but for anyone thinking about blowing cash on an exhaust and expecting miracles, it just doesn't happen with modern bikes.  Here's one video to back up what I'm saying:

Suitedstevens, it's not misinformation.... it's an opinion.

You don't always make more power when you switch an exhaust and tune appropriately. For some bikes, you sacrifice mid range torque to gain 1-3 horses WAY at the top of the rpm range.

Which is where most street riders NEVER ride their bikes for any length of time.

Harley-Davidson and other V-twins? Whole different story.

Louder DOES NOT always equal faster.

Changing exhausts (IMHO) should really boil down to asthetics and sound preference.

This is MY opinion. It's not "spreading of misinformation" is it?

-Skip

chapssss,

I have the same exhaust, I removed the baffle to see how it would sound,

very loud but not good loud, actually shet loud.

I've had plenty of loud bikes, Triumph's, Ducati's and I think they sound good, the Tracer seemed louder than those but just didn't sound good to my ear. It was frustrating, a friend has the MT/FZ09 with the carbon Akra, baffle in, it's a bit louder than mine particularly under load and sounds great, a really deep sound, my Tracer system just sounded loud, tinny and shet.

I hope you have better luck with it than me.

I only had it out for an hour or two and didn't notice any power or fuelling issues 

EDIT*I don't know what "shet" means, I typed it with an i.* 

Archived