Wheel Balance Weights?

3banger

Ok, I did a search but didn’t find anything. I mount and balance my own wheels and have a good set of stick on wheel weights. However, the Yamie wheels have the little ridge with clip on weights. Where can I source these and is this the preferred choice? Interestingly my bike has no weights currently on the wheels? I can’t imagine they were both perfectly balanced, guess I should pull them and give a quick check in the balancer

I doubt those will fit the rib in the center of the rim. They appear to be the ones mounted on the edge of the rim. I have found every FZ09 and FJ09 wheel I have balanced takes a good amount of weight, 1.5 to 3 ounces.
john

• Premium Member
WalMart sells the stick on wheel weights if not auto parts stores do. I go to a local tire store where I got my truck tires he sells them to me for $1 a stick. I also know that No Mar tire changers sells wheel weights in lots of colors. https://www.nomartirechanger.com/category_s/45.htm they have really cool ones for adventure bikes that secure on the spokes or the ordinary stick on weights too!

Brick
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 "Red Molly"
2014 Yamaha Super Tenere' ES
1999 Suzuki SV650

Actually I think your right jsp, I don't think the linked weights will fit.  See the photo of the weights on my girl friends FZ07, same wheels.  So these are what I'm looking for.  I have a bunch of stick on weights and will use them if I have to but I like the idea of not having to clean stick-em glue off the wheel every time.  My sense is the beautiful blurple paint is not that durable; simple cleaning with dilute solution of denatured alcohol, Dawn and dihydrogen monoxide showed bluple residue on the rag.

IMG_9446.jpg

Ok, I did a search but didn’t find anything. I mount and balance my own wheels and have a good set of stick on wheel weights. However, the Yamie wheels have the little ridge with clip on weights. Where can I source these and is this the preferred choice? Interestingly my bike has no weights currently on the wheels? I can’t imagine they were both perfectly balanced, guess I should pull them and give a quick check in the balancer
Check at a local Yamaha dealer?  

I have a box full of used weights exactly like this photo, 10 g,20 g, and 30 g. I will be happy to mail you some just cover the cost. They may need some fresh silver paint. john

Actually I think your right jsp, I don't think the linked weights will fit.  See the photo of the weights on my girl friends FZ07, same wheels.  So these are what I'm looking for.  I have a bunch of stick on weights and will use them if I have to but I like the idea of not having to clean stick-em glue off the wheel every time.  My sense is the beautiful blurple paint is not that durable; simple cleaning with dilute solution of denatured alcohol, Dawn and dihydrogen monoxide showed bluple residue on the rag. 

IMG_9446.jpg

I doubt those will fit the rib in the center of the rim. They appear to be the ones mounted on the edge of the rim. I have found every FZ09 and FJ09 wheel I have balanced takes a good amount of weight, 1.5 to 3 ounces. john
My experience is similar.  I just replaced the tires on my FJ09 and found 3 ounces on the front wheel and 0 on the rear. With the new tires, the front only required 1.5 ounces and none on the rear. 

"Check at a local Yamaha dealer?" now why would I go and do something so logical like that! Though I should give the local Yamie dealer a call; they recently moved and changed owners. Never really like the previous one, they treated the girl friend who rids both a FZ07 and XT250 pretty poorly. She never went back.

Hey jsp, I think I'll take you up on the offer. No worries on the needing paint, my plan was to pretty them up with my Bluple paint pen. PM coming your way.

Have you considered Dyna Beads? I've used them in several new tires, and like them a lot! Our local big truck tire shop has them in stock.
Renzo

Motorcycles and Scooters ride s-m-o-o-t-h with Dyna Beads®!

You simply won't believe the ride...

Glass smooth ride, every time, all the time.
Dramatically longer tire life
No rebalancing
No spoke or rim weights
Eliminates tire cupping.
Easy to install
Your motorcycle dealer won't want to do it the old way once he's tried Dyna Beads!

• 5 months later...
@britelitebob or anyone else that changes there own tires. If I were to order some of these wheel weights linked... should I order the 10g, 20g, or 30g... packs of 10??

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@britelitebob or anyone else that changes there own tires. If I were to order some of these wheel weights linked... should I order the 10g, 20g, or 30g... packs of 10??
I bought stick on weights in a strip.  Many of the wheels I balanced needed less than 10g. 
Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0454-Silver-Weight/dp/B0023080RU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519061299&sr=8-3&keywords=wheel+weights

I bought a full box at my local NAPA store years ago, and have a lifetime supply.  I even spray painted them colors that match my wheels.

Archived