Another Penske 8983 Mounted

camthelurker

I decided to take a money trip down the rabbit hole that is upgraded suspension. It's like going to Vegas; bringing a whole lot more money will be a lot more fun... at least that's how I roll.

Took a look at the @pattonme thread https://fj-09.org/thread/2028/shock-upgrades-compatible-swaps to see what is available for the FJ. For the most part, the double clicker I wanted was -ballpark- about the same price from differing brands. Ended up exchanging emails with Nick from @stoltecmoto . He was able to get me set up for my everyday-commuting ride and my fully-loaded-passenger-long-haul trips with a Penske 8983. Basically, he suggested 2 springs. Granted, I've done long mileage-fully loaded-passenger weekend trips before with the OEM shock. But, frankly, it sucked. Sucky setup to to be riding 2 up and still have safe-confident fun. I'm sure I could get away with 2 up on the new 625lbs/in spring rate. But for the amount of $ for a second spring compared to the $$$$$ for a new shock, the money trip just don't stop. 

Install? PITA. It looks straightforward, don't get it twisted about that. I had to drop the rear end, via the linkage, to make room for a full size open-end wrench. Sockets didn't work for the bottom bolt of the shock(space too small). Half length or cut wrenches would've been wonderful. The upper mount was definitely easier, but no thanks to the emissions hoses and other wire clusters in the way of socket access. I read somewhere taking the tank off helps, I can't imagine, considering the airbox and other stuff is in the way?!(i'm probably wrong)

Once bolted up, I only had the remote resevoir to worry about. I seen on the internets some people mounted the resevoir on the horizontal chassis piece above the shifter linkage and the stator. Functional. Other people fabricated brackets to attach to the passenger peg area. My hose wasn't long enough(that's what she said). Nick @Stoltecmoto said minor fairing modification would be involved. Exciting. Now I don't have a problem with taking a dremel to my beautiful bike(YMMV) but I do have a problem with professional looking modifications. Sooooo here it is....

DSC03652_900x675.jpgDSC03654-002_900x675.jpgDSC03655-001_900x675.jpg

Attempted to cut the least amount of fairing possible, hence keeping the reservoir as far forward possible with room to still adjust knob. The fairing is actually NOT touching the reservoir, as one might assume from pics. I could have made a closer cut on top of the reservoir but I'm just an amateur hobbyist and not a perfectionist. Was supplied with an ugly-regular circular clamp, substituted with a fancy black zip tie. Overall satisfied with how it panned out. Even the slight angle of the reservoir goes with the line angle of the fairing. Also, it is not in the way ergonomically. 

I did see someone make significant fairing modification when they mounted their penske. The reservoir was located further back and in the middle of the fairing. The hose supplied with mine wouldn't have made it that far. So hose length is something to think about for those of you wanting to purchase an aftermarket shock.

Ride quality? Better be worth it. Honestly, I put +12k miles on the OEM shock, so I'm thinking it's going to take more than just an hour's ride to really get to know the differences. Immediate difference, though, is the rear end squat on acceleration and the high speed compression feeling.

I don't expect people to do as I does. But I do want to add my 2 cents because the internets is glorious and all knowing.

Here are some related thread links for the Search Button deficient people:
https://fj-09.org/thread/4190/penske-8983-traxxion-installed-suspension
https://fj-09.org/thread/3065/penske-8987-20s-installed-tested
https://fj-09.org/thread/3248/penske-8983-piston-fork-kit
https://fj-09.org/thread/1829/nitron-rear-suspension-upgrade?page=2
@fj09chris ultra blingy ohlins mount ^^^^^^^^

brackets to attach to the passenger peg area. My hose wasn't long enough(that's what she said). Nick @stoltecmoto said minor fairing modification would be involved. ... Was supplied with an ugly-regular circular clamp, substituted with a fancy black zip tie.

@stoltecmoto, back in the day Penske would put any length hose on a shock if just asked. Surely this deserves a specific call-out so it can reach either (both?) of the cross-brace between the passenger pegs or the subframe behind the peg?

I would definitely double up on that zip tie, and perhaps also add the 2nd rubber block.

• Supporting Member
I have the same shock, except setup by Traxxion Dynamics, You're going to love the shock!!  Have Matt set up a pair of fork cartridges for you, amazing upgrade as well.
I mounted the reservoir lower, where the passenger peg hangar attaches to the sub frame.

Shock_1.jpgShock_2.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@stoltecmoto, back in the day Penske would put any length hose on a shock if just asked. Surely this deserves a specific call-out so it can reach either (both?) of the cross-brace between the passenger pegs or the subframe behind the peg? 
I would definitely double up on that zip tie, and perhaps also add the 2nd rubber block.

Double zip tie noted. In defense of the hose length, that was something I did not specify nor think about when ordering.

• 1 month later...

Archived