New clutch problems

oldguy44

Installed the XSR-900 clutch kit upgrade in my FJ-09.  The clutch works, but it drags, so much that I can't shift out of 1st gear at a stop with the clutch in.  Installed it according to the XRS manual and clutch pack was at the proper 43mm thickness.  The pull rod is aligned with the clutch shaft properly.  Took it apart 3 times, everything looks right but doesn't work right. Can't figure what to try other than maybe a thinner clutch plate #1.  Any sugestions?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporting Member
Installed the XSR-900 clutch kit upgrade in my FJ-09.  The clutch works, but it drags, so much that I can't shift out of 1st gear at a stop with the clutch in. 
This doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling, I am about to order parts and attempt this swap soon. 
Looking at the parts diagram, there are 3 different plate thickness available (XSR item #14) 1.6mm, 2.0mm and 2.3mm.  When I talked to the mechanic at my local Yamaha shop, he recommended buying one of each to tailor the clutch pack thickness to desired specs.  He also said, and it is stated in the XSR manual, you need to measure the clutch pack with dry plates as the layer of oil between each plate can alter the measured thickness a bit.
I hope you get this sorted out, please post your results with whatever you find, I'm going to attempt this in a few weeks.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
That is another problem, the #1 clutch plate that comes with the kit is 5mm thick, not 1.6 or 2. And my clutch pack measured the suggested thickness wet or dry, at 43mm.
What "kit" did you buy?  A 5mm thick plate doesn't sound right, is it a fiber or steel plate?  Did you reassemble in the same order as disassembly?  fiber plate 1st against the clutch boss and fiber plate last against the pressure plate? 

• Supporting Member
cable slack or cable is starting to "go"
I have the original '15 cable on there now (bike has about 13.5k miles), I just picked up the new revised cable and will get that swapped and adjusted correctly before I attempt this upgrade, just to rule out any "variables". 

That is another problem, the #1 clutch plate that comes with the kit is 5mm thick, not 1.6 or 2. And my clutch pack measured the suggested thickness wet or dry, at 43mm.
What "kit" did you buy?  A 5mm thick plate doesn't sound right, is it a fiber or steel plate?  Did you reassemble in the same order as disassembly?  fiber plate 1st against the clutch boss and fiber plate last against the pressure plate?
Sorry, read my caliper wrong, the reused steel #2 clutch plates read under 2mm the new #1 clutch plate (which is mounted to the pressure plate, not the clutch boss and has a larger inside Dia.) is 2mm.  Still not good troubleshooting procedure to fix a problem by subbing parts without knowing the original problem. The XRS-900 manual calls for a clutch thickness of 42.7 to 43.5 overall. Mine is 43, but drags???  I ordered my "kit" from Parts Shark like many used in FZs with no problems.

• Supporting Member
I ordered my "kit" from Parts Shark like many used in FZs with no problems.
I never realized that this is offered as a kit, I will search Parts Shark. Is it listed as anything specific? i was going to order everything individually. An all-in-one kit will make it so much easier. 

Naive question alert: why is this an upgrade and what is the benefit?
The XSR900 debuted with a slip and assist clutch which has since become standard on 2017+ FZ-09 and FJ-09s as well. 
If you're not aware of what a slip and assist clutch is, the video below explains them.

Most of us probably don't care about the slipper function too much, but the difference in clutch pull is significant.  I test rode a 2017 and the clutch pull is so much lighter, it makes me want to do this upgrade as well.

Be very careful, the XRS900 clutch manual and parts lists have errors regarding part nos. for clutch plates #1 & #2.  There is only one clutch plate #1, the STD one Pt. No. 1TD-16324-00-00 which comes with the kit. There are 3 pt. Nos. avail. For clutch plate #2  one thinner, the std one and a thicker one.  You don't need the std one, it is already in your FJ09. In case I didn't make it clear, clutch plate #1 and clutch plate # 2 are not interchangeable, and the #1 plate only comes in the std. size.  Sooo I'm going to order 2 thinner clutch plates #2 those part nos. are correct in the XSR900 manual.  Called my dealer,  he couldn't help, called Yamaha cust. Service (what an ass!) he said the dealer tech had call the Yamaha. Tech line.  Dealer did and called me back with the above info.  Hope this helps you.  Clutch plate#2 thinner pt no. 4b1-16324-00.   Clutch plate #2 thicker Pt no. 4B1-16325-00.    Plates #1&2 are both steels.

• Supporting Member
So, this is all making sense to me, I have a parts list and exploded view parts diagram printed for reference.
My only question is, if the install only calls for one Clutch Plate #2 (either thinner, standard or thicker)why are you needing to order 2 of the thinner plates? and what order would you put the additional plate?

I am glad that this is offered as a complete kit, I want to make sure I have everything before starting. Would you recommend in addition to the complete kit that I also order 1 or 2 extra thin clutch plate #2?

Like I said, I'm going to do this in a few weeks, I will await your test ride with the different plates and affirm all is good to go.

Archived