• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 44 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New clutch problems

oldguy44

It is confusing but the parts diagram calls for 7 #2 clutch plates , one is ref.#14, one is ref. #15, and 5of them are ref.#6.  In reality they are all (7) ref.#6's.  There is no part nos. for #14, only #15.  If you needed only one thinner #2 plate you can put it in the #14 spot, if 2 thinner ones are needed, put one in the #14 spot and one in the #15 spot. Hope that makes sense to you.  We are leaving for Anthem Az. For 6 months, in 2 weeks, so will have to complete this project once we are there and settled in.  Will reply back once this issue is sorted.  Yes I guess I would order 1 or 2 thinner plates just to be safe.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more issue I ran into, the friction plate #2 shown as items #7 in in the 2015 service manual are different than the rest of the friction plates used.  They have green paint on one of their tabs, while all the rest have black tabs. The two green ones are not used, only the black ones.  The green ones also have thinner tabs that contact the clutch basket.  When assembled, the clutch pack should have 3 red tabbed friction discs and 9 black ones. That leaves you with 1 black and 2 green ones left over.  The only fiber discs in the kit are 3 red ones.  The only steel disc in the kit is ref.#7 clutch plate #1. What I call the "kit" is really an assortment of Yamaha XSR900 clutch parts in their separate  bags.  Again I hope this gives you a little more understanding of what to do.  It gets really clear after the 3rd time.

Oldguy- couple questions:

Did you install the judder spring and washer first before any clutch plates? Are they facing the correct direction?

Did you install the friction plate that is thinner next? Meaning, the friction plate which is narrower then the rest, to allow for the judder spring and washer to fit neatly inside when assembled?

Skip

Regarding the above descriptions in the chart:

Clutch plate 2 UR refers to the available plates that comes in 3 different thicknesses. 1.6, 2.0, or 2.3 mm.

This is the plate which is switched out to bring the “stack” into specifications.

Oldguy- it sounds like you were aware of setting the stack height, so I don’t think that’s your issue.

BTW - Yamaha does sell an entire clutch kit for the XSR that includes ALL the plates you will need, including ones for the adjustment of the stack, a crankcase cover gasket, and the 3 springs.

P/N BN0-W001G-00-00
bn(zero)

That’s what I used for mine if you don’t want to reuse any of the FJ stock parts.

Regarding the above descriptions in the chart: 
Clutch plate 2 UR refers to the available plates that comes in 3 different thicknesses. 1.6, 2.0, or 2.3 mm.

This is the plate which is switched out to bring the “stack” into specifications.

Oldguy- it sounds like you were aware of setting the stack height, so I don’t think that’s your issue.

BTW - Yamaha does sell an entire clutch kit for the XSR that includes ALL the plates you will need, including ones for the adjustment of the stack, a crankcase cover gasket, and the 3 springs.

P/N BN0-W001G-00-00
bn(zero)

That’s what I used for mine if you don’t want to reuse any of the FJ stock parts.

Thanks for posting this mate, it is on my list of things to do. I have already done a hydraulic conversion but more lightness and a slipper clutch will make me a happy man!

Welcome! It’s a noticeable difference in pull, much lighter feel.  
Hydraulic conversion? That’s Intriguing!
-Skip

I have been meaning to do a thread for about a year now... ? I'll try to take some pics on the weekend. It was a mashup of parts from venhills kits. The handguards needed to be removed, you could make brackets to keep them though. And a very small clearance notch in the side of the switch block. Much nicer feel and no broken cables!

• Supporting Member
Oldguy- couple questions: 
Did you install the judder spring and washer first before any clutch plates? Are they facing the correct direction?

Did you install the friction plate that is thinner next? Meaning, the friction plate which is narrower then the rest, to allow for the judder spring and washer to fit neatly inside when assembled?

Skip
When you get the kit, does it have installation instructions showing the specific order of the plates? or the orientation of parts? or is the installation procedure specifically from the XSR manual? 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Bet- nope.

Just a sheet of paper with what’s included and the part numbers.
It also lists clutch kit part numbers for every model a kit is available for, and their contents.

I used the R&R clutch section of the XSR 900 book. It took a bit to decipher how they wanted the stack to be put together, measured, and adjusted.

-S

• Supporting Member
@skipperT Thanks for the info.. I have downloaded the XSR manual, I will follow that when I get around to this mod. However for today, its low 80's, I'm hitting the twisties!!

• Supporting Member
Don't the '17 FJ/MT come with the slipped/assist clutch?? Why are we still going off XSR clutch diagrams?
I have yet to find a 2017 parts diagram for the FJ, not sure why.  Every OEM parts seller lists the '17 XSR, since its the same engine, thats the only reference I have to go by. Fortunately Part Shark sells a complete Assist/Slipper clutch kit to keep things simple.

Contains:

3 x 1TD-16178-00-00 Absorber
1 x 1TD-16324-00-00 Clutch Plate
1 x 1TD-16383-00-00 Cushion Spring
1 x 1TD-16384-00-00 Seat Plate
3 x 2CR-16337-00-00 Spring Screw
3 x B90-16173-00-00 Compression Spring
3 x B90-16331-00-00 Friction Plate
1 x B90-16350-00-00 Pressure Plate Assembly
1 x B90-16352-00-00 Pressure Plate 2
1 x B90-16371-00-00 Clutch Boss
1 x 90179-20010-00 Boss Nut

NOW INCLUDES:

1 x 1RC-15461-00-00 Crankcase Cover Gasket

@betoney it all makes sense now hahaha

I think I will do this upgrade if I ever need to replace the clutch. Or I run out of other stuff to spend money on.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived