• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

New clutch problems

oldguy44

• Supporting Member
@betoney it all makes sense now hahaha 
I think I will do this upgrade if I ever need to replace the clutch. Or I run out of other stuff to spend money on.
Haha, I was just joking with my riding buddy about the next upgrade...  I told him I was going to add the XSR clutch because I have nothing else to tweak, upgrade or fiddle with during the off season this winter. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have yet to find a 2017 parts diagram for the FJ, not sure why.... Fortunately Part Shark sells a complete Assist/Slipper clutch kit to keep things simple.
... somehow I'd imagined this to be a more expensive proposition. I inquired about this at the show this past spring, and the Yamaha rep threw some astronomical figure at me. I have no complaints about the stock clutch, but it will be good (... and fun) to upgrade when my stock clutch wears out.

Me too.. But when I seen the all too easy to click link.. I now have a assist/slipper clutch on its way to me for under $350 Australian! Cheers guys!

• Supporting Member
Me too.. But when I seen the all too easy to click link.. I now have a assist/slipper clutch on its way to me for under $350 Australian! Cheers guys!
When you do the install, let us know how it goes, whether easy or difficult, or any steps to be mindful of.  I'm not going to get around to this swap until probably November. 

Don't the '17 FJ/MT come with the slipped/assist clutch?? Why are we still going off XSR clutch diagrams?

Yes, and Yamaha has updated the service manual for the 17 to reflect that.

I think what makes this project harder for some is swapping plates and combining with the stock FJ parts. Ordering only what you need and don’t already have on the FJ.

If you simply order the XSR kit and replace all the plates it makes the job more simple then trying to compare the parts diagrams. But for expensive too.

-S

... somehow I'd imagined this to be a more expensive proposition. I inquired about this at the show this past spring, and the Yamaha rep threw some astronomical figure at me. I have no complaints about the stock clutch, but it will be good (... and fun) to upgrade when my stock clutch wears out.

So ten days later and it is on my doorstep. Very impressed! Can't wait to fit it up!

• 3 weeks later...
Got it!  Fixed my XSR clutch problem today.  Installed the thinner (1.6vs 2.0mm) steel plate and that took care of the problem. I , like a dummy, had measured the total clutch pac incorrectly.  I had measured from the metal part of one friction plate to the metal part of the friction plate on the other end of the PAC.  It is not easy getting old!  Works good though, I like it.

• Supporting Member
Got it!  Fixed my XSR clutch problem today.  Installed the thinner (1.6vs 2.0mm) steel plate and that took care of the problem. I , like a dummy, had measured the total clutch pac incorrectly.  I had measured from the metal part of one friction plate to the metal part of the friction plate on the other end of the PAC.  It is not easy getting old!  Works good though, I like it.
Good to hear that you finally got it figured out.  I am going to order mine next month. 
When you measure your clutch pack thickness, it that with all of the plates out of the basket, like just sitting in a stack? or is it when everything is installed and the pressure plate torqued to spec?

• Supporting Member
Measured total thickness of all the fiber and steel clutch plates together in your hand. The XRS manual shows a picture of how to do it, as well as the order in which the plates go in.
Cool.  Thanks for the info.  I have a .pdf copy of the XSR manual, I will read through the procedure a few times once I get the parts ordered. 

Archived