Chain Tension

woozer

Today I had a good ride but noticed the bike was nice and smooth up until about 60 mph after which the ride changed abit.  I wouldn't say it had a buzz or vibs, for lack of better word I would say it felt "coarse". I didn't go above 65 so don't know if it gets better or worse. Anyone else feel a different ride at different speeds?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Felt smooth as glass at triple digits (closed course). When accelerating, I fell a slight buzz in the grips, but once leveled off, nothing. Must be a new motor breaking in thing. Doesn't bother me either way. Check your chain slack. Might be too tight.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Chain was first thing I thought............the spec sure is tight at .2-.59, it appears to be in that range. Never had a bike with that spec, most are .5-.8. Just for grins I will set it at .5 to see how it feels. On the other hand if it was tight wouldn't it feel coarse at all speeds???

Yamaham, totally agree with your assessment. This bike runs super smooth at speeds more in keeping with highways in Europe, e.g. 75 mph to 85 mph it's really smooth. But I detect that same coarseness around 65. 65 is not a great cruising speed for FJ. Tolerable, but not great.

On a somewhat similar note, I'm not crazy about the gearing on this bike. Carrying over the tranny directly from a naked that's 40 lbs. lighter is a limitation we owners will have to live with, but I am finding 1st to be a little tall and 6th to be a little short. When I first got the bike, I often found myself trying to shift into 7th on the highway. And get-aways in 1st with two-up and a load of touring gear is going to take a fair amount of clutch slipping IMO based on how it feels to ride the bike with just me on it.

I'd be tempted to drop a couple teeth on the rear sprocket to make the freeway character of this bike a bit more relaxing, but that's going to cause 1st to be even higher than it is, so I'll have to think twice about making that mod.

What was your previous bike? Having come from a Ninja 650, I am used to revving higher for power, and tend to try to keep a bike in the meat of its power band. Maybe you are short shifting it if you came from a big twin? I find that whatever gear keeps the bike above 4,500 rpm at the speed I am riding keeps it smooth, so if I am cruising in 5th, so be it.

papadage, good guess. I'm coming from a big twin. I agree somewhat with your point about 4500 rpm but the FJ engine is spinning about 5000 at 70 mph. Feels a little busy to me. Maybe I'll get used to it but as it stands, I keep searching for 7th gear. On a positive note there is plenty of zip in 6th gear on the highway. Not much need for downshifting to pass.

First thing I noticed on the FZ, it was more buzzy in 6th gear at 65 than it was in 4th gear at 95. Same with the FJ, and I don't think it goes away. Still there at 5500 miles on the FZ. One of the first things you have to learn about engines is they are all different and they make funny sounds and vibs. If you listen to closely, you may become concerned. Best thing to do is wear ear plugs. The only draw back in running along in 4th or 5th is the gas mileage. It will drop 2 mpg. Just a note on gas mileage. It appears sim. to the FZ when it was new.  The first 1200 miles I got around 34-39mpg, then it seemed like I was getting 42mpg until 2500 when I actually got 50 mpg.  After 2500 miles I noticed even more improvement and I could get 60mpg (on the computer) if I road at around 60mph and still get 39 if I rode like a hooligan(thumbs up to that).  I did do 700 miles with a combined average at 54mpg and one tank full at 57.82 mpg.  Running at 80+ in 6th gear is great.  If you are coming off a vtwin engine, please don't try to run along at 2-2500 rpm, not good for the engine.  It will shift better above 4000 and run smoother above 6000 and you should learn that.  Learning by practicing is the best. 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Felt smooth as glass at triple digits (closed course).
does closed course mean 10 West? 
::)

I would tell you, but then I would have to ........... 8-| 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Redfjniner, "it was more busy at 65..." Do you mean more buzzy at 65? 
Thanks for the gas milage information.
Yamadog
Yes that is want I meant.  Brain not working, becoming more common as I get older. 

Just for grins I adjusted chain tolerance to see if it would change ride above 60. It was factory set at about .25-.3, I set it to the high side about .4-.5. It seemed to ride better.....................of course being the old fart that I am it could be just my imagination.

I believe that Yamaha needs to be clearer in showing the dimensions for the slack. I think they are trying to show that the slack should be .5 inches above and below the centerline of the chain. Therefore 1" from bottom to top, which is normal measuring, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived