Chain Tension

woozer

I believe that Yamaha needs to be clearer in showing the dimensions for the slack. I think they are trying to show that the slack should be .5 inches above and below the centerline of the chain. Therefore 1" from bottom to top, which is normal measuring, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I have been running 1" from bottom to top on my FZ-09, no issues with 4,800 miles. I agree that they really need to clarify their instructions as if someoe were to go .5 bottom to top, they would be risking serious injury from chain breakage.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I believe that Yamaha needs to be clearer in showing the dimensions for the slack. I think they are trying to show that the slack should be .5 inches above and below the centerline of the chain. Therefore 1" from bottom to top, which is normal measuring, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The manual is clear, 0.20 to 0.59 inch total. I think it is so tight as the measurement is with the bike on the center stand which will extend the swingarm, tightening things up. 1 inch would probably be correct off the center stand.

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Just checked my chain this evening. On the centerstand, there was almost no slack! I adjusted it till there was about a half inch total slack. Off the stand, with my brother sitting on it ( swingarm pivot, both sprockets lined up pretty good ) the chain was again tight as a drum.

I loosened it till I had about an inch ( .5" up or down ) and then checked it with rider, and the chain moved comfortably just a bit, maybe 1/4" at most. I'm leaving it like that for now.

I can only guess how tight the chain was while riding the way it left the dealer, good thing I hadn't put many miles on yet!

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

When I picked my FJ up I discussed this with the mechanic. He said he adjusted it to normal standards. I showed him what Yamaha put in the manual and he shook his head. He did it correctly based on all the discussions on the FZ forum that I was on. I think Yamaham noted it right at .8-1.2 and you will be safe. Also, to make sure you did it right do what b12ty did to check it by getting someone your weight to sit on it with no stands lowered.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Ty, let us know if you notice a difference in the ride with new chain adjustment.
Rode 100+ miles today, seemed to work fine. Maybe a slightly bigger "thump" when putting it into 1st at a stop light, not sure. But ya, no way was I going to leave the chain that tight. I've seen the damage to chains run to tight ( wear out quick!) not to mention countershaft sprocket bearing! 
Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Ok, Ive spent the better part of 3 hours reading up on this chain thing. 5-15mm just seems too tight for a measurement made on the center stand.
I haven't measured mine yet but on the center stand it tight as hell and would only get tighter as the swingarm moves up.

RichBizAZ has an interesting write-up here 5th post down:
http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/477-how-tight-chain-4.html

Essentially, if you adjust chain slack @ 10mm with engine sprocket - swingarm bolt - rear wheel axle center lines aligned you get 30mm free play with bike on stand. 30mm is more in line with other bikes it seems.

Your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all - new to the forum, just got my FJ09 two weeks ago. I noticed the chain tension seemed a lot tighter than I'm used to, hardly any free play at all. Motorcyclist magazine just had a tech tip where they said Yamaha told them it normal, and was to prevent the chain from hitting the frame. But they fully compressed the suspension in their shop and said even loosened to a more normal amount of slack, there was no way the chain could ever hit the frame. They said they think the wear and potential damage to the chain, sprockets, and even the countershaft in the gearbox isn't worth the risk and that owners should back off the chain adjustment at least slightly. Any opinions on this, or is Yamaha right?

• Premium Member
Hi all - new to the forum, just got my FJ09 two weeks ago. I noticed the chain tension seemed a lot tighter than I'm used to, hardly any free play at all. Motorcyclist magazine just had a tech tip where they said Yamaha told them it normal, and was to prevent the chain from hitting the frame. But they fully compressed the suspension in their shop and said even loosened to a more normal amount of slack, there was no way the chain could ever hit the frame. They said they think the wear and potential damage to the chain, sprockets, and even the countershaft in the gearbox isn't worth the risk and that owners should back off the chain adjustment at least slightly. Any opinions on this, or is Yamaha right?
Here is an interesting discussion on chain slack. We should probably merge it with yours and relocate it to the questions area. Relocation done as this is a better title and area. Thanks. 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

When I first picked up my FJ I thought my chain was banjo string tight from the factory.  The first thing I did was go home and loosen it to the loose side of the spec (15mm).  When I did shortly thereafter my chain then loosened up to 20mm within the first 200 miles from normal break-in.  While it was slightly loose I noticed some excessive play while at slightly off idle cruising and decel.  Also when I would drive close to high concrete highway barriers I could hear the excessive play.  At the end of the day, I keep the chain adjusted to 10-15 mm with my weight on the suspension and sleep well at night knowing my chain isnt going to get wadded up in the cases and lock up the rear wheel at 115mph if I bottom out the rear shock;) 

I noticed way too much driveline noise on my first ride home, the chain was very tight but within the owners manual spec. I know the sound of a countersprocket being tortured under tension so I backed it off a tad. Still getting driveline noise, I have never seen a .59 slack specification in many years of chain drive bikes.
It depends on what the swingarm does under load and the changing geometry but I'm concerned. On my FZ-01 a little loose was better than tight when the suspension compresses under load in turns.

Archived