Replacing Drive Shaft Oil Seal

eeetea

As you may have spotted on another thread, I've had an issue with a major oil leak.  That said, closer investigation showed that its not a fault with the bike or any kind of warranty issue. Just a PITA act of god....well an act of the local council, that insists on saving money by not resurfacing roads but by "surface dressing" instead.  Then they can tick the box to say the roads are maintained, and everyone else can have damaged vehicles.

This year alone, my son has had to have a screen replaced on his car, I've had to have my screen repaired, and now this...

170923_Drive_oil_seal_damage.jpg

So without further ado, here's how I changed my oil seal... this is only a description of past events, by all means, copy at your own risk (terms and conditions apply) 

Step 1. Make a cup of Tea (and Buy the bits)

you will require three bits:  The oil seal itself, [93102-40030]  a replacement lock nut [90179-22018], and a replacement spring washer [90208-2202]

(BTW mine is a 2015 bike, just to future proof this thread a bit, if you have a later bike you may want to check that nothing has changed?   In fact double check anyway! )

IMG_1658.jpg

Step 2: Getting the Sprocket off.

Here's the starting point...
IMG_1659.jpg

Make sure the bike is in gear (1st is best), remove the gear change linkage

IMG_1660.jpg

Remove the side cover (three screws - the third is tucked away behind the breather pipes)

IMG_1661.jpg

Remove the nylon chain guide (this just slides off)
IMG_1662.jpg

Then you need to release the lock nut, by prying the indented areas outwards, so it can then undo [you will note I have the chain off at this stage...DON'T!  Leave it on, otherwise, you'll have to do what I did and put it back on again!]
IMG_1665.jpg

Now the next bit is easier with two people.  Leaving the chain on, wheel on the ground, bike in gear and holding the rear wheel with the brake, you can undo the sprocket lock nut.  (this is a standard RH thread, anti-clockwise for taking it off (counter-clockwise for my US friends)).  I used a rattle gun, but a large breaker bar is adequate. The nut would have been torqued to 95N originally.  It's a 30mm socket that you need BTW.
IMG_1667.jpg

Now take the chain off the front sprocket, you can do this easily just by taking out the rear wheel axle and adjustment chocks, moving the wheel forward in the swing arm, replace the axle, just to hold it approx place (but leave the chocks out at this stage - you can stick them back when you replace the chain at end).  This will give you another slack to easily lift the chain off the front sprocket.  [The other option is to slide the chain off with the sprocket, but I think taking the chain off is ultimately easier]

Remove the spring washer (which just looks like a standard washer but slightly cupped) this slides off, and the sprocket itself, again this just pulls off the splines.

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

and here you see the removed parts AND THAT F***KING piece of surface dressing...aaaGGGGHHHH
IMG_1670.jpg

Step 3: Make and Drink more Tea, stay calm :)

IMG_1668.jpg

Step 4: Remove the oil seal

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE...Make sure you clean everywhere around. When you take that seal out, the last thing you want is gritty grinding paste chain oil and road dirt getting on that drive bearing!!!   YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

IMG_1672.jpg

You need patience for this bit.  The seal is a push fit in, and so (theoretically) a pull fit out.  In fact it's in pretty tight.  In my case, the seal was in two halves as you will see in a later photo.  I used a combination of a dental tartar removal tool, some small flat headed screwdrivers and a razor knife.

Be very careful not to do anything to damage the engine casing or paintwork. work gently.  I gradually scraped away the rubber seal, and worked the flat head screwdriver between the seal and the case and gently levered out, working ALL the way around, a millimetre at a time. 

IMG_1673.jpg 

If you're patient enough and work around enough, eventually, it will come out. (well most of it..you will notice that half of my seal remains on the shaft where it was cut in half by the surface dressing!...this other bit just slides off)
IMG_1674.jpg

Step 5: Fit new seal

Fitting the new seal is the reverse of above really, but here's some tips on what I did.

Smear the inner and outer edges with clean engine oil (the same that it will be in contact with when in situ), this will just help it push in a little more easily.

Line it up and push around.  Make sure its faced up very square and flat to the face of the engine casing, and work it around a little bit at a time so it goes in square and without stretching the centre on the spline.
IMG_1677.jpg

Slide the sprocket back on.  I added a bit of copper slip one spline faces with the view that it should make things easier when I come to change it in the future.
IMG_1679.jpg

Place the new spring washer over the spline.  Make sure that the surface stamped with "OUT" is facing ...um... out 
IMG_1680.jpg

Replace lock nut and torque up to 95Nm
IMG_1681.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg

Indent the lock nut using a punch
IMG_1683.jpg

Last steps:

Replace the Chain,
replace the chain guide
Replace the cover
Replace the gear change linkage (note that there is a scored line on the shaft and a punched dot on the spigot that line up)
Replace the rear wheel and adjustment blocks
Adjust chain tension (LET's NOT EVEN go there!!!!)

Final Step

Drink another cup of tea (and go for wee!)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Just a few tea-driven (Typhoo for me) words of appreciation and pleasure at YOUR words and pic on the task, eeetea!

Something else to worry about...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
@eeetea Thanks for the step-by-step write up, very clear and concise. The procedure doesn't look as difficult as I was imagining.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

No theoretically it's straight forward.  The difficulty lies in a bike a few more years in age with rusted on components.. then you may wish to consider penetrating oils and heat.. though not necessarily at the same time!
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Just wondering if a seal puller and starting from the inside of the seal would be any easier?
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

The seal was in two bits The chipping had cut through.

I don't have a seal puller(and wasn't even aware such a thing exists) but job done. The damage on the casing was by the chipping BTW

• 6 months later...
Oooh where's the rest of my piccys. I can only see two. Strange.

Oooh where's the rest of my piccys. I can only see two. Strange.
Yeah... too bad. This thread is on my Greatest Hits list. PostImage is a free hosting service, so I'm guessing stuff goes missing every now and then. Google scooped some.
I think I loaded up the forum here, rather than hosting myself... all the photos went (Thank you photobucket) from previous posts, so when I posted this I thought I'd do it differently.  
Frustrating that!

Archived