Future owner :)

morkys

Hello all :) I live in the Toronto Ontario area of Canada and I currently own a 2013 Honda CB 500F. I love this motorcycle. I have ridden it for two years. It is a great way to get back into the sport. I am planning to upgrade within the next few weeks to a 2015-2017 Yamaha FJ 09.
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Thanks for the responses.

Do any of you know if there are any differences between the 2015 and 2016 vs the newer 2017, particularly, the suspension?
I know the 2017 has traction control and a slipper clutch but are there any other differences?

Also, any advice for getting a good deal at this time of year in the GTA? (Toronto, Southern Ontario).
2017 FJ-09 - Yoshimura Y-series Exhaust / MRA Sport Screen / Evotech Rad Guard & Fork Sliders / Custom LED Rear Tail Light / Lowering Links / Mirror Extenders / Low Seat / Tail Tidy / Shogun Swingarm Sliders - Touring mods > Madstad 20" screen (on standby) / SHAD SH36 Hard Cases / SW-Motech Rear Alu-rack - Mods not yet installed > Fender Extender - Mods on the way > MT09 Adventure Pegs / Sargent seats / Knuckle Guard leds / Speedtech Photon Flush Mount LED signals / SW Motech Frame Sliders

Let us know how your ride goes. I honestly love my Honda CB 500F. I find its great and have no problem on the highway. I don't find it frenetic myself on the highway, but this is my first real street motorcycle.

I bought a blue 2017 Yamaha FJ09 yesterday and take delivery on Sat Oct 14. Should be lot's of fun.

The reason I am changing is because I wanted a slightly bigger more powerful all around bike and I like the reviews I have heard of the cross plane triple. I don't have the patience to see if Canada will get the FJ 07 even though that should be a very good bike also. I considered the FZ 07 ABS but the suspension being what it is and ...well, I just want to give the 850 triple a real go. A big but not huge bike. Does it all I hope. I guess I will see how I like on my long ride home from the dealer Sat Oct 14.

Great review, thanks for the feedback. It should be quite the fun interesting ride back from the dealership on Saturday. Now that you have test ridden, are you planning to upgrade to an FJ09 in the future?

• 2 weeks later...
Picked the bike up from the dealer Suzuki Newkarket Tuesday night with my friend. Rode the bike down a side road then down the 404 and 401 into Toronto on B mode. Seems all good so far. After we had dinner with a bunch of his writing group friends I rode home in STD mode and it was peppier. The bike was literally brand new with 0.2 km on it and I have been keeping the revs below 6K and varying the throttle. I think this is old school for break-in. I haven't checked the manual yet. Do I need to follow a break-in?

• Supporting Member
I have been keeping the revs below 6K and varying the throttle. I think this is old school for break-in. I haven't checked the manual yet. Do I need to follow a break-in?
Potentially opening a can of worms here.  Ask 5 riders and get 5 different answers to this, just like an oil thread.   
Personally I didn't follow the break-in as outlined in the manual, I've always just ridden the bike as I normally would (within reason).  I changed the oil at 100, 600 and 1,000 miles.

Do whatever YOU feel comfortable doing.  YOUR method will work just fine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Welcome to the forum Morkys and Congratulations on the purchase of your FJ09.

Get to know the bike before deciding to make any modes.
There's is lots of info on here about any mode you might think of making.

So, kick back an enjoy the reading you are going to be doing.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Archived