Finding a Fan Fuse Short

carpb202

Hey y'all! 

I recently had to replace my clutch cable due to stretching and since then, my fan fuse has blown twice. I replaced the first one, then it blew again this morning, and proceeded to overheat in traffic. So I've got a couple questions: 

1) How can I find where this short is happening that's causing the fuse to blow? 

2) Can I put water in the coolant tank?  

Thanks! 

Sounds like you nicked a wire when dragging the clutch cable through, so examine the route you took. A bit of electrical tape over any exposed wires will do as a temporary fix.

You can top up the coolant by the bottom of the right fairing. As winter is approaching, make sure you use a suitable antifreeze mix.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I've got a feeling you're right @bbb

Is there any trick to checking the wiring besides taking the fairings off? Even with them off, I don't see a way I can really get in and inspect the route. The only side that would be affected would be the left (as sitting on the bike). Do you know any wiring that goes on that side?

...and now that I'm looking at it, I think the fan wiring goes by the seat. That's the next thing I'll check as I wouldn't doubt if I somehow rubbed a wire trying to put the seat back on.

Thanks! 

what BBB said-

and as for errant rocks!... don't get me started! 
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I've got a feeling you're right @bbb ***snip***

...and now that I'm looking at it, I think the fan wiring goes by the seat. That's the next thing I'll check as I wouldn't doubt if I somehow rubbed a wire trying to put the seat back on.

Thanks! 

The fan wire harness with a 2P plug does NOT run near the battery.

It plugs into the main harness on (I think RH, but could be left) side of the neck of the frame. I pulled the radiator/fan away for my valve adjustment a few weeks back and I’m 90% certain I unplugged the fan from the front.

Checking for a rock is much easier and great suggestion.

-Skip

• 2 weeks later...
I've got an update for y'all!

Was able to take a hard look at the bike over the weekend and found that in my initial clutch cable routing, it was rubbing against the fan, causing it to spin very hard. I was able to re-route the cable verifying that the fan can spin freely, and replaced the fuse.

However, the fuse still blew :( It was suggested to see if the fan motor burned out. Is this as simple as connecting a 9V battery to the plug?

Yikes. Sorry to hear the news.
Not sure why the fuse still blew, but you won’t like the answer.

You can connect a 12v (not 9) directly to the fan connector and see if it spins freely.

Did you replace the fuse with one that’s the same size? The fan pulls quite a bit of current when it starts up. If the answer is yes, then the fan is probably damaged and pulling more amps when it is spinning then the circuit is designed for, which is why you are blowing the fuse still.

The only real way to test this is to measure the amp draw of the fan when it is first connected and begins to spin. You need an inductive amp attachment for a DVOM. Then compare that value to a known good fan to see if it’s excessive. Yamaha doesn’t publish a spec for the fan.

Probably easier to jump it with a 12v battery (preferably NOT one from a car) and see how it sounds. If it doesn’t sound the way that it used to - replace the fan.
Make sure your sitting down when they quote the price to you.

-Skip

Archived