Burning oil / engine overfull

So just about a month ago i picked up a nice used low mileage (1,813) 2016 FJ-09 Raven from a local used bike shop/dealer. They changed the oil and inspected it for me as most places would do before a new owner takes delivery. I have put 600 miles on it so far in the past month and am really enjoying the bike.

Last night while coming home from a ride the bike let a big cloud of blue smoke out of the muffler with an accompanied burning smell. It went away after a 10-20 seconds or so and i was only 2 miles from home anyway. This is the first bike i've had with a sight glass instead of a dipstick to check oil level. The glass was always showing full but i could never see a definitive line so i decided to drain some oil out to double check the level. It took me draining 22 oz of oil out of the engine just to get it down to the top mark on the sight glass! That 's basically 2/3 of a quart overfull. 

I'm guessing the burning oil was a result of it getting sucked up into the airbox and burned in the engine. I hope that the catalyst in the muffler hasn't suffered any damage as a result of this. I work in a heavy truck dealership and when a big diesel engine sucks
oil through the CAC system it usually spoils the DPF & sometimes the DOC also. Im going to disassemble and check the airbox this evening. I'm expecting to find a spoiled air filter and a mess of oil but i hope that's all. I wonder if any other damage would result from riding the bike 600 miles in an overfilled condition? I also need to check if this bike still has any factory warranty left on it. It was purchased by the original owner this year in March 2017.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Did you check the oil level with the bike on the center stand? The biggest problem with too much oil is that it can get foamy from the gears spinning and mixing it with air. This can possibly lower oil pressure and make the oil less effective. Unless you are constantly hammering on the engine I don't think only 600 miles would hurt you engine if this condition was happening.

Yes I did as this is how the owners manual says to check it. I contacted the shop and talked to the person that did the oil change today. He told me he changed the oil with the bike on the side stand. That would explain why it had so much oil in it.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Yes I did as this is how the owners manual says to check it. I contacted the shop and talked to the person that did the oil change today. He told me he changed the oil with the bike on the side stand. That would explain why it had so much oil in it.
Complete idiot, that oil-changer!   I take it you won't be going back there any time soon...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

10-4 you are correct on that! I always do my own maintenance on all my bikes anyway. The only reason I didn't change it myself is because they did it for me before I took delivery. I just hope it didn't damage the catalyst from burning oil through the exhaust. I wonder how long the factory warranty was on the 2016 bikes?

When I first got my bike I was putting in the recommended oil in, that the manual states. It was overfilling and blowing it into the airbox. Did it 3 times so I can confirm that I was not measuring wrong. So now I fill it to about 3/4 way up the sight glass which I have measured to be about 20cc's? less then the measurement in the manual if I remember correctly. So the mechanic probably just trusted the manual and added the recommended amount and sent it on its way. 

Check your air filter. It could be saturated with oil now. Could be your blue smoke issue. Mine was pretty soaked after the first time.

So the dealership is refunding the price of the oil change plus giving you a free helmet to make it up to you right? Idiots... 
I would get them to put it in writing that they did that just in case you would have trouble down the road, but most likely you're fine.

Good news is that even if it did damage the CAT, it doesn't matter. Bikes aren't like cars. There is no downstream O2 sensor monitoring the performance of the CAT.

I wonder how long the factory warranty was on the 2016 bikes?
One year from date of purchase, but probably only to the original owner, unless the owner purchased an extended YES warranty.
Here in Oz, two (2) years from new, and transferable to other owner(s) if the bike is passed on.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

When I first got my bike I was putting in the recommended oil in, that the manual states. It was overfilling and blowing it into the airbox. Did it 3 times so I can confirm that I was not measuring wrong. So now I fill it to about 3/4 way up the sight glass which I have measured to be about 20cc's? less then the measurement in the manual if I remember correctly. So the mechanic probably just trusted the manual and added the recommended amount and sent it on its way.  

Check your air filter. It could be saturated with oil now. Could be your blue smoke issue. Mine was pretty soaked after the first time.
I tore the bike down last week and checked the air filter. It was fine and not saturated. Come to find out our FJ's use a factory oiled paper element anyway which is new to me. Must be why the service interval on it is so long on it. The oil that got pushed up the breather tube oil pooled up underneath and behind the filter and most likely got sucked straight down the throttle bodies. 

So the dealership is refunding the price of the oil change plus giving you a free helmet to make it up to you right? Idiots... 
I would get them to put it in writing that they did that just in case you would have trouble down the road, but most likely you're fine.

Good news is that even if it did damage the CAT, it doesn't matter. Bikes aren't like cars. There is no downstream O2 sensor monitoring the performance of the CAT.

The dealer did not charge me for the oil change but they did offer to supply me with a new air filter if needed, however turns out that it was not.  My only worry with the CAT was of it possibly becoming plugged , not so much for emissions.

I wonder how long the factory warranty was on the 2016 bikes?
One year from date of purchase, but probably only to the original owner, unless the owner purchased an extended YES warranty.
I checked with my local dealer and they told me the bike is covered until 3/10/18 as the original purchase date by the previous owner was 3/10/17. When i go in next week for the handlebar recall they said they will transfer the remaining warranty into my name. However i really wont get much use out of it as there is only about 1 month of riding left here in the Northeastern US and our riding season doesn't usually start until April at the earliest in the following spring.

Ok You should be fine then. I rode mine pretty hard so that's probably why mine was soaked. Mine was overfilled for 2k miles and I have 10k on it now and no issues so you are good im sure. Honestly I wouldn't worry about bitching at the dealer etc. You can let them know what happened and if you took pictures etc then maybe get comped a oil change if you are nice and understanding about it. But if you plan on doing your own oil change in the future..My procedure is drain oil, remove filter, Install filter. Fill oil to top of sight glass. Start bike for 5 seconds. Fill oil to 1/2-3/4 of sight glass. Start again and adjust oil to 1/2-3/4 of sight glass if needed. I do not even measure anymore.

Archived