Engine cage and skid plate, recommendations

Hi. I have been sending some questions to Higdonion.com on their urban and off road cage. Very good service. I saw the givi engine cage and seems to protect more than the higdonion.com.

Any feedback, recommendations on one, or the other brand? I'm now in a vacation trip and is a pain to feel how speed bumpers hit the bottom...

• Premium Member
I'm a big fan of the Higdonion product. I've touch ground on a few gravel roads and the skid does it's job flawlessly.
I also have the upper add-on bars, and the best part is I can still remove the side panels to change a fuse etc.   

IMG_20171011_133226329_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170831_143555001.jpg[/a]

IMG_20170831_143602895.jpg

IMG_20170831_183202983_HDR.jpg[/a]

Thank you for your answer and pics. So as I can see, the bars can be added, additional to the trial cage. Interesting

Maybe my only concern would be the cost, for both... $650.00
And indeed, it's probable this is cheaper, than a potential crash or fall damage on the bike

I vote for Higdonion...

I waited till Higdonion put up a big sale around the big holidays to grab my trail cage and upper crash bars...

to me even the urban cage by Higdonion would be a better choice over the Givi crash bars..

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 4 weeks later...
Not going to lie, I had a similar hesitation BUT I put it on and couldn't be happier.

1. The weight you're adding is blow the center of mass, so you'll never notice the extra weight.

2. Heavy isn't bad. I'd rather have a heavier, thicker plate upon impact than a dinky light piece of aluminum sheet that will just fold and tear when smashed upon.

3. My plate has already saved my oil pan once on a gravel road, and only have ~1500 miles with the cage on.

'15 FJ09

I just installed a USED Higdonian trail cage this last weekend. Install was super easy even without any instructions. My wife came home right at the end I asked her what she thought?? She looked at the bike for a minute and said think about what? -So if that is any indication it looks pretty factory lol.

Having bought a used set all I did was scrub up the skid a bit and touch up a few spots overall with some black rattle can Rust-oleum...looks brand new again. I did order new delron inserts since I hear they are pain to remove and the ones I received where marred up (but would have still worked fine). The replacements took a while to ship and came scuffed on the ends but I installed them anyway. Overall I am happy to have the protection now.

Only thing I am left wondering is how to change the oil now lol. I hope its not a pain to remove the trail cage skid when the oil is due for a change.

Well, I think I'll go higdonion... First the cage and skid plate... Later, upper bars
good choice. excellent product, well made, and very good belly protection.
And great customer service too!

'15 FJ09

Archived