Clutch Noise

dbeau

I'm pretty sure it's normal but I can't remember if it always sounded like this or not. Plus I really bang on my bike so I'm hoping I didn't damage something. 

Anyway, Does everyone else have a noticeable change in sound from when the bike is in gear/clutch in and when sitting in neutral clutch out? Neutral-clutch-out is like a more hollow airy sound. 

Pretty normal I would say. Have a little listen to other bikes, I'm sure bikers all over the world like comparing notes. I'll show you mine if you show me yours, sort-of-thing.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
Mine does sound different with in neutral and clutch disengaged from clutch in. Can't say if that normal but she runs like a top so I'm not concerned at this point. If it's a bearing going the mechanic at the dealer didn't think anything of it. Not that that's assuring but for me I'll just keep an eye ( or ear) on it. If it goes bad I'll possibly upgrade to a slipper clutch.
A Motorcyclist's Church is the open road....

Yes normal.

If you want to decrease the sound, the 17’s with the slipper clutch got outfitted with a slightly different crankcase cover with something bolted to the inside of it, probably for noise suppression.

This is only speculation on my part, I haven’t heard a 17 in person.

But the parts fische shows a different part.

-Skip

My 2016 FJ does that also and i was wondering if it was normal being that i've only had this bike just over 1 month now. Come to think of it my Triumph Sprint GT does the same thing so i wasn't to concerned. However the trans sure is whiney in 6th gear just cruizing along at very light throttle. That i'm not sure if it's normal or maybe a result of the way to tight chain spec that the bike was set at for the first couple thousand miles for the previous owner.

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

Archived