Two Point Per Side Mounting Frame Sliders

nanikore

Evening all,
This weekend I'm planning mount my new frame sliders, purchased from a local company here in Japan called Baby Face.
http://www.babyface.co.jp/frameslider14MT09.htm
(Basically the top ones on that page.)

This is surprisingly the first time I've mounted frame sliders with 2 points per side. As I dont have an engine support or indeed anything more than the appropriate torque wrench, I was simply planning to put it on the side stand go one bolt at a time. Am I risking my Tracer doing this? Should I put it on the centre stand? (I didnt like the idea of movement on the centrestand).

Up front the slider build quality looks excellent, so I'm keen to get them on, and I've been checking the torques on the page on this site - 45Nm for the engine mount bolts, though BabyFace specs 34, but I'll call them tomorrow about that - pretty sure that's a generic guideline since all the notes I have on frame sliders say ~45Nm.

Thanks in advance. 

Evening all, This weekend I'm planning mount my new frame sliders, purchased from a local company here in Japan called Baby Face.

Greetings from sunny Australia, nanikore.   For some time I've been wondering if we have any members on the Forum from Japan, and if so what is the FJ09/ MT-09 Tracer scene like in Japan.   Are there plenty of our bikes to be seen there? (here in Australia they are pretty rare, but the FZ09/ MT-09 sportsbike is very popular).   Anything on the local market that may not be found elsewhere?   We'd love to hear from you! :)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Yup, there's definitely a decent showing for MT-09 Tracers here with a note that there's no Tracer 700, so Yamaha perhaps don't see that much in the segment. I've seen some nicely made mods here, so I'll certainly try to post when I see something worthy.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry, but it looks like a great way to punch a hole in the cylinder block in a lay down. Being built in two pieces sets up a natural fold point right under the slider which will put stress on the other two fixing points
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

Hi nanikore. Lovely website style you have there. I do however agree with troll, that despite the very beautiful quality of engineering, the design looks a bit flawed in terms of protecting the cylinder block. But hopefully you’ll never need them.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Greetings again,
Frame sliders are always a good debate point.

I suspect the force required to 'punch' a hole in the engine block would likely mean a situation where I myself would have significant issues of my own to worry about.

I understand the physics of this, and my experience with sliders in general is that for minor topples they're really helpful avoiding significant (usually cosmetic) damage to the bike, and in slides and other impacts, they can alleviate some physical damage to myself. I love my bike, I love my knees more. Each to their own though, so thanks for the feedback.

Greetings again, Frame sliders are always a good debate point.

I suspect the force required to 'punch' a hole in the engine block would likely mean a situation where I myself would have significant issues of my own to worry about.

I understand the physics of this, and my experience with sliders in general is that for minor topples they're really helpful avoiding significant (usually cosmetic) damage to the bike, and in slides and other impacts, they can alleviate some physical damage to myself. I love my bike, I love my knees more. Each to their own though, so thanks for the feedback.
Manikore:  Go with your decision.  14 operations on my Right Knee ... I should have loved it more!!  Because it sure doesn't love me now. :-[  
Have had the absolute pleasure of having visited Japan several times (7).  What a truly beautiful country.  Of all the countries in the world I have been blessed to visit, Japan is probably my favorite, followed by Australia and New Zealand.  

Archived