Carpel tunnel syndrome

I’ve been getting a pins and needles sensation along the outside of my thumb for about 8 weeks now, extending towards my wrist. I saw the doc and he referred me to have nerve conduction tests, which I had today. They were the freakiest, most uncomfortable tests you can imagine as they stimulate the nerve with electrical impulses and measure the muscle responses. My hand and arm were jerking around like a landed fish, not under my control and it hurt!

Turns out I have carpal tunnel syndrome which is nerve damage due to hyperextension (or bending back for long periods) of my right wrist. After much discussion of all the activities I do, we narrowed it down to riding my beloved Tracer/FJ and the position of my wrist when riding.

So, going to have to wear a wrist brace overnight for 4 months and see what I can do about altering my hand angle when riding. I’m going to try handlebar angle (sweep) first, but may also have to look at aftermarket bars.

Just thought I’d mention it as it highlights how important riding position is. I’m just glad the timing is good so I can sort it out over winter.

[i’m also glad it’s not due to any other repetitive motion of my right wrist ?]

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
I've had thumb and wrist pain too. A few things that I have done to relieve some of the pain includes:

1. Install a Throttle Rocker. This is cheap and easy and effective. "The Throttle Rocker wraps snugly around the throttle grip of your motorcycle. The downward pressure from the heel of your hand on the comfortable, contoured portion of the Throttle Rocker causes the throttle grip to rotate, so you don’t have to squeeze the grip to operate the throttle." 
2. Install a Handlebar riser to raise the bars 30 mm. 
3. Install a Brandon cruise control. It was arranged by Cruizin a few years ago, but is no longer available.

Those have helped the wrist. I still have trouble with the thumb, so I am currently swapping out my handlebar for a Rizoma MA009 as discussed in this thread. It is not as wide as the FJ-09 handlebar, and it has more sweep, so I expect that it will provide a more natural angle for my hands and thumbs.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
One other thing to consider is the angle if your clutch and brake levers. They should be angled slightly downward to make a straight plane from your finger tips to your forearm which will ensure your wrists aren't bent.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

[i’m also glad it’s not due to any other repetitive motion of my right wrist ?]
Change hands at 99... ;)

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

The Renthal Street Fighter handle bars have significantly more sweep and rise than the stock handlebars. The Cramp Buster & Throttle Rocker are near identical products and work the same way. They will help with relieving the stress on your wrist, but only within a limited speed range. Within a certain range the wrist can be kept pretty straight, but outside of it these things would have to be repositioned.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel issues. I dealt with a bout of that a few years ago. All the ideas mentioned sound helpful - basically keeping weight off you hands and keeping the wrist joint straight when you use your hands. The wrist brace at night will help if you are sleeping with your crooked hand/wrist under you.

Call me crazy if you want (you wouldn't be the first), but what really helped me was learning some basic Tai Chi exercises that are designed to open your joints and get energy flowing. Of course, your results may vary ;^)

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member
Regarding thumb pain discussed in this thread: Since installing the Rizoma MA009 handlebar I have been able to ride for only a few hours at a time due to weather and other commitments. However, I think it has helped to relieve the stress from my right thumb.

Another change that I made which has helped is to remove the Grip Puppies. I didn't expect it, but the Grip Puppies are forcing my right thumb to an angle that is painful after several hours.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Supporting Member
Another change that I made which has helped is to remove the Grip Puppies. I didn't expect it, but the Grip Puppies are forcing my right thumb to an angle that is painful after several hours.
Funny that you should mention that, I too installed Grip Puppies and am experiencing pain in that same are of the thumb. 
I would hate to destroy the Grip Puppies, but they were so tight to fit on, I think the only way to remove them is to cut them off.

• Premium Member
Funny that you should mention that, I too installed Grip Puppies and am experiencing pain in that same are of the thumb.  I would hate to destroy the Grip Puppies, but they were so tight to fit on, I think the only way to remove them is to cut them off.

They can be peeled off without cutting. I slowly pulled the inside edge outwards. 

• Supporting Member
Funny that you should mention that, I too installed Grip Puppies and am experiencing pain in that same are of the thumb.  I would hate to destroy the Grip Puppies, but they were so tight to fit on, I think the only way to remove them is to cut them off.

They can be peeled off without cutting. I slowly pulled the inside edge outwards.
Great. Thanks. I will try to get them off without destroying them. 

Added to what has been posted:
Ditch the worthless hand guards and put some HVMP heavy bar end weights on.

My FJ's solution:
Handguards removed
HVMP bar end weights
ROX 2" riser
Cruise control
Adjusting sweep on handlebars (layed down almost parallel to ground for wrist angle relief)

Night and day difference!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Ditch the worthless hand guards and put some HVMP heavy bar end weights on. 

These? They are the heaviest that I recall seeing: 17.6 ounces or 0.5 kg. 

image.jpg

• Supporting Member
I recently took the grip puppies off and today I rode for about 400 miles. ( in the middle of a 2-day road trip). My wrists have never felt better after a day-long ride. I think the abnormally large diameter of the grip puppies pulled my thumb further out, who knows, either way I am not in pain at the end of a ride.

Archived