Ohlins Suspension Upgrade

mmandell

Bought Ohlin's suspension a couple months ago.  Bought the fork inserts and the 535 shock.  That model is fully rebound and compression adjustable.

I want to let anyone know who is on the fence about some kind of suspension upgrade to do this if you can.  This was an expensive upgrade when you add the cost of being in the shop to change out the components but it is very much worth the price.  Even if you have to get the base option of Ohlins I suspect that even that will blow away the stock parts.

DO THIS UPGRADE!...if you can...  There are no words to express how much more fun and compliant the suspension is and if you plan on keeping your bike for a while do it.  I read other posts and was still not 100% trusting but they are all true.  Do something to your suspension.  I looked at the Race Tech and Ohlins and like the fact that the Ohlins forks are adjustable.  In set trim they are amazing and I think I will change a couple small things to make the ride even better.  I could not believe how much more relaxed I can ride again because I was not fighting the suspension or feeling nervous in corners.

The Ohlins shock also mounts up super clean and looks great.  Pic below.

20170902_060623.jpg

• Supporting Member
I personally don't see myself parting with ~$3,500CAD in parts alone (literally 1/3 the price I paid for the bike, LOL).
HINT-HINT: talk to @pattonme    
His fork cartridge mod is AWESOME and if you have some shock surgery done by Norwest, you could have a super setup for maybe 1/3 or less of that $3500 CAD.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I could not believe how much more relaxed I can ride again because I was not fighting the suspension or feeling nervous in corners. 

Exactly This^^^  
I usually set mine up a bit stiff, maybe a notch or two below track-day stiff, so I can tear through twisties and the bike feels like it is on rails. 
When it is rocking and wallowing like a hobby horse, you spend too much effort fighting the bike to maintain a line through a corner.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Ok, @piotrek and everybody else.

Me: "How can I get you into this Nitron/Penske/K-Tech/Ohlins/Cogent shock today?"

Cust: hems and haws

Me: But look, (shows printout of mandell's posting) he said
There are no words to express how much more fun and compliant the suspension is
You want that right? (steps away to chat with the 'manager') 
Me: "Cruizin the owner, he never does this... but just for you, right now, if you would sign here I can throw in free mazda drain bolt, a can of Honda polish, and 50 gallons of gas. How about it? Will you agree to buy? Christmas is coming. Just imagine how good it'll look to have that baby blue (or gray/red/yellow) spring poking out under the subframe. You can take the kids, even the missus on a ride to see the foliage in comfort and style! What can I do to get you to sign today? Here let me get you a cup of coffee while you think. Take your time."

See, the reason I'm not (maybe Nick is) selling units hand over fist is that I haven't leveraged the time-honored tactics of the Used-Car sales man! I won't link to my posts (that would be a bit crass) but there are 3 suspension vendors here that offer a variety of products at price points that should compel all and sundry to "buy today!".

*big grin*

Disclaimer. all names are made up and any similarities to parties in real life is just coincidence. The forum owner does not endorse any specific product, service or vendor. Aside from the fact they are the best damn vendors in the world! (Ed. oh come on, now you're just losing it. step away from the 'nog).

• Supporting Member
My name is Scott, and I endorse this thread.

I did the Ohlins 535 shock with the Race Tech fork upgrades, and it totally transformed the spirit of this bike. I definitely lean towards the sport end of the sport touring continuum, and the upgraded suspension makes the FJ a very competent real world sport bike.

If you’re on the fence, JUST DO IT! Spend the money, get the bike dialed in, and enjoy the ride. You won’t regret it.

Archived