BMW Windscreen On A Yamaha

britelitebob

• Premium Member

I've probably spent more time monkeying around with windshields than I care to remember and I guess ever since there was a way to get music into a helmet I’ve been doing it. And I agree that Madstad shields look like riot shields but your not likely to find a better solution without a way to get the shield further forward because the stock fj bracket puts it too close. I had the same problem with a BMW GS I had and after about 5 shields and several different brackets I realized that I was never going to make an RT out of it but what I did learn was having the ability to tilt a shield even slightly can make more of a difference than the size or shape of a shield, and you can also get away with a shorter shield if it has a flip at the top like the Cee Bailey and Puig screens have.

Anyway I had recently ridden a friends GS and he had installed a Puig windscreen that worked great and looked good so I ordered one, then I picked up a set of Madstad brackets and installed it on the fj, I set the shield near the lowest position so the top of it was just below my chin and tilted it forward just slightly to a spot where I thought it looked good and after doing a trip to the Smokies with it I found the original setup turned out to be pretty much perfect for most the riding I do witch is mainly on backroads and in the mountains. I have done some interstate and raising it up a bit keeps my helmet in clean air and its wider at the bottom so it also deflects more of the down low air but no windshield is going to stop all the air that’s coming around that tiny front fairing and hits you in the chest on this bike, I’m waiting on wordsmith and his deflectors to solve that problem.

uig_our.jpg

BLB

• Premium Member
I've got to admit ... I really like that "mini" beak.  If I may ask:  Where did you find it?
Ebay has the best price and Powerbronze makes them 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-MT-09-FZ-09-Tracer-15-17-Matt-Black-Beak-by-Powerbronze-/112223182381

BLB

Archived