What are your plans for distance-touring in 2018?

wordsmith

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in USA, Southern Missouri with some pretty decent riding. Maybe someday I'll be able to take that trip. In the mean time, post lots of pictures so we can live vicariously through you!

'15 FJ09

Love twisties, so Greece in May, Romania in June and Italy, Swiss and Austria in July.
I am a brighter shade of green! :P

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
I was set to leave for the west coast day after tomorrow. Today I got a promotion.... I start in my new position Saturday...trip postponed for the time being.

Let’s go Brandon

• Supporting Member
2 weeks ago I rode 5 days through Northern California, next week I am taking a short 4-day trip down the Oregon and California coast through the Redwoods.
After Labor day we are riding through Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana on a 7 day trip, Bear tooth Pass, Chief Joseph Highway, Bighorn Mountains, Lolo Pass etc.
I'm still not sure where to go in October, maybe the California wildfires will have died down?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
I was set to leave for the west coast day after tomorrow. Today I got a promotion.... I start in my new position Saturday...trip postponed for the time being.

Congratulations on the promotion.

• Premium Member

Thank you 

Let’s go Brandon

^This^ 
Bummer your trip is postponed, but hey, promotions are all good!

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
It's back on! Leaving Sunday morning for the 4 corners area. I had to cut about 2,000 miles off of my original route because I couldn't get as much time off. I'll get those back next August and then some. I. Can't. Wait.

Let’s go Brandon

• Premium Member
Just returned from a 10-dayr riding adventure in Ecuador with a couple of good pals. Our trip was planned and organized by the fine folks at , who I cannot recommend highly enough. We did their Pacific, Andes, Amazon route, with an additional stop in Puerto Lopez to visit Isla de Plata (ie. the poor man's Galapagos). The bikes we started on were a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, Triumph Tiger 800, and BMW F700GS. When the V-Strom had a few minor issues develop en route, the lads at Freedom drove 10-hours to swap it with a KTM 1050, which I rode for the rest of the trip.

It was really interesting to ride these different bikes. The Beemer felt small, agile, and uber-capable in all conditions, albeit not terribly exciting. The Triumph was smooth and stable, but again not overly pulse-raising. The KTM was the most fun of the bunch - that twin really likes to rev and the clutch, brakes, and transmission all felt like they were a level above anything on the other bikes. The V-Strom was capable but kinda boring. It was also really interesting to get home and ride my FJ again - man, that thing felt like a 2-stroke dirt bike in comparison and I had a shet-eating grin on my face the whole time.

Always great to go away and come home to appreciate the things you have, methinks.

Ecuador's a pretty cool country, too. The people are friendly, it's safe, the roads are great for riding (twisty, good pavement, great scenery), and there are lots of different looks between the 3 main regions of the country (coast, Andes, Amazon). I highly recommend it, and Freedom, if you're looking for a riding adventure that gets you out of your regular day-to-day.

38019132_10156257838276900_8694694114274312192_o.jpgBill_rides_at_Cotopaxi.jpgSwingin_over_Quito.jpg3_Amigos_at_the_Equator.jpg

• Supporting Member
It's back on! Leaving Sunday morning for the 4 corners area.

I had a 9-day ride planned for mid-June to that area, just days before the trip I hurt my back and had to cancel, I was out of work for 3 weeks. 

We were going to ride The San Juan Skyway as well as Staircase-Escalante and Marble Canyon.  Definitely going to try again in '19.

Archived