Be Careful Out There,

So when I’m not riding I’m the chief of a rural fire department.  We are in the middle of some of the best riding in Texas Hill country, so we see our share of vehicular mishaps.  I was looking through the forum picture section the other day and remembered I saw another FJ when we were working a crash.  A group was riding past a corner that has bitten more than its share of riders; a cruiser rider went wide in a right hander and buried his bike under the nose of a Jeep. He wasn’t really bad but we flew him to cut down on his time to the hospital; otherwise his entire golden hour would have been used in getting him to the ER.  I’m sure the FJ rider wondered why I was taking his picture but I so seldom see other FJ’s around that I grabbed a quick picture with my phone.  It was a pretty eclectic group as the pictures show. I actually met one person that we had flown from the same spot - she was back riding year a later at age 61 after a broken pelvis.  

evSooAD.jpg

nVpYwZW.jpg
tOdsYGQ.jpg

1iR2Q3E.jpg

14C1d44.jpg

• Supporting Member
@tex929rr - Thanks for all you do trying to keep us safe out there. I’m a previous surprise visitor to Sid Peterson Memorial, so can appreciate the challenges that you face working the back roads of the Texas Hill Country.

It’s very interesting:  in 21 years every motorcycle accident victim we have treated has been riding a cruiser.  We go to Luckenbach quite often and it’s amazing how many guys are drinking multiple beers and then getting on the bike for the ride home.  

• Supporting Member
Yeah, drinking and riding is a REALLY bad combination, especially with the roads out your way.

Mine was a deer impact on my VFR750, but I got a ride to the ER instead of calling for emergency response. I was a bit bruised & battered, the bike was seriously damaged, and the deer was a total write-off.

• Supporting Member
Mine was a deer impact on my VFR750, but I got a ride to the ER instead of calling for emergency response. I was a bit bruised & battered, the bike was seriously damaged, and the deer was a total write-off.
Another deer strike... Damn, scary!  Mine happened just over a year ago, luckily I walked away, no ER, no ambulance but the FZ1 was totaled. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Another deer strike... Damn, scary!  Mine happened just over a year ago, luckily I walked away, no ER, no ambulance but the FZ1 was totaled.
So we’re both official members of the Deer Slayer Club, eh?

It was back in 1993 that I had mine, but I still remember it vividly. We were hustling trying to make it back to our campsite before dark, and the wildlife starts getting very active in the Hill Country at dusk. Short version of the story: I center-punched a medium sized doe going maybe 70 mph on my 92 VFR750, basically split the deer in half, and managed to get the bike mostly stopped before falling over going maybe 20 mph. I dislocated my right wrist, cracked my sternum, and ended up with a massive bruise roughly the shape of a deer’s hind quarter covering my entire upper chest. To this day we wonder how it didn’t just clean me straight off the bike on initial impact.

...To this day we wonder how it didn’t just clean me straight off the bike on initial impact.

I have to admit, that is impressive.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Either that FJ is sporting a large CB aerial or the rider is hopeful of a state-wide bumper-car powering system like you see at fairgrounds. Is the cellphone coverage so bad that CB is still popular?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I really never talked to the guy.  There was a little window between getting the patient stabilized and when the helicopter got close enough to talk down, and I snapped the pic. It was a very weird group of bikes, as you can see by that trike in the one picture.  

Either that FJ is sporting a large CB aerial or the rider is hopeful of a state-wide bumper-car powering system like you see at fairgrounds. Is the cellphone coverage so bad that CB is still popular?

My guess is he has a HAM radio.

But from my experience cell coverage is pretty spotty down in that area.

I really never talked to the guy.  There was a little window between getting the patient stabilized and when the helicopter got close enough to talk down, and I snapped the pic. It was a very weird group of bikes, as you can see by that trike in the one picture.  
That one bike in the picture you are referring to is the trike I would assume.  It is a Stallion.  It has a Ford 4 cylinder up front and has a steering wheel.  They cost $30k+. 

Archived