Heat Demon grip heaters under Grip Puppies?

vijay

I recognize this maybe a stupid question but I will ask anyway. 

I have an existing set of Heat Demons in my Garage as well as an extra set of Grip Puppies.  Any reason I shouldn't just attach the Heat Demon Elements directly on top of the existing Grips and then just slide the Grip Puppies over them?

Seems like I would avoid the uneven heat issue and get more heat quickly?

I keep thinking there has to be a negative to this idea or other people would be showing how videos showing this approach.

Pluses / Minuses?

I would recommend selling them on ebay and buying the factory units that plug right in and use the instrument cluster for controls. I bit the bullet and bought them and they really make the bike much, much more ridable in cold weather. Also trashed stock hand guards and installed KTM ADV hand guards that provide much better protection and look SO much better.

• Supporting Member
I have an existing set of Heat Demons in my Garage as well as an extra set of Grip Puppies.  Any reason I shouldn't just attach the Heat Demon Elements directly on top of the existing Grips and then just slide the Grip Puppies over them?

I keep thinking there has to be a negative to this idea or other people would be showing how videos showing this approach.

Pluses / Minuses?

Your'e wanting to attach the heating element to the outside surface of the grip? What would it stick to? the grip isn't a smooth flat surface. 
I think once you attempt the installation you would soon see why it would be impossible.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Pluses / Minuses?

They weren't heat demons, but I had a set of heated grips that wrapped around the outside of the grips, and secured with velcro.  I tried them with grip puppies.  They warmed nicely, but when warm, they would twist on the grip.  How do the heat demons secure? 

I normally use Symtec grip heaters under the grips of my choice.  I cover the bare bar on the clutch side with heat shrink tube or electrical tape to act as insulator between the heating element and the aluminum bar.

As I get older, and the weather drops to freezing or below, I use heated gloves.

Carey:

Heat demons look just like the Symtecs. 

Betoney:

My plan was simply to put some electrical tape over the existing grip so I had smooth surface.  Spray Hair Spray on the Tape.  Put the heating elements on top of that and put the Grip Puppies over the elements. 

But I had never heard of anybody doing this .. so I thought I would ask the questions as I like bigger grips (arthritis) and this seemed in my (maybe delusional) mind to be a simple and quick approach. 

Thoughts?

• Supporting Member
My biggest concern is with the heating element sticking to the grips. In the instructions it says that the heating elements stick to the bars like a sticker, they have an adhesive backing. I would think within a few minutes of riding that the heating element would work its self loose and your grip puppy would be spinning around. - Not safe.

Have you tried installing grip puppy over the standard grips? You have to work them over the grips with a fair bit of force. I would think if the heater pads weren't stuck to the grip very tight that you would have one hell of a time getting the grip puppy on and would end up ruining the heater pad.

I don't have grip heaters on my Tracer, but have had them (standard OE fitment) on previous BMWs.   My experience on those bikes was that the addition of Grip Puppies severely limited the amount of heat transference through the Puppies, to such a degree that if I was riding in cooler climes heated grips would be rendered next to useless..

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
I have grip puppies on my OEM heated grips. No problem at all with them heating up to temp. In fact, standard settings are almost too hot!
I agree with Bob on the OEM grips.  I'm not sure how hot the Heat Demons get, but the OEM grips get VERY hot, even with grip puppies. 

I don't have grip heaters on my Tracer, but have had them (standard OE fitment) on previous BMWs.   My experience on those bikes was that the addition of Grip Puppies severely limited the amount of heat transference through the Puppies, to such a degree that if I was riding in cooler climes heated grips would be rendered next to useless..
Wordsmith ... 
That was my experience on my VStrom where Symtec's were placed in the traditional manner ... underneath regular grips which, of course, which were then covered by the grip puppies.  With 3 layers, grip, grip puppies and gloves between the heat elements and my hands ... they were almost useless.  Thus my thought regarding affixing the elements between the regular grips and the grip puppies. 

My biggest concern is with the heating element sticking to the grips. In the instructions it says that the heating elements stick to the bars like a sticker, they have an adhesive backing. I would think within a few minutes of riding that the heating element would work its self loose and your grip puppy would be spinning around. - Not safe. 
Have you tried installing grip puppy over the standard grips? You have to work them over the grips with a fair bit of force. I would think if the heater pads weren't stuck to the grip very tight that you would have one hell of a time getting the grip puppy on and would end up ruining the heater pad.
Betoney:  While I had grip puppies on a Vstrom, they were already on when I got the bike.  Thus no experience in actual installation.  Vstrom already had Symtec's installed in traditional manner ... bar, symtec, regular grips, and then grip puppies.   
With 3 layers between the Symtec Heating Element (Grip, Grip Puppies, Gloves) and my hands;  the Symtec's bordered on useless.  Thus my thought of gluing them to the outside of the stock grips and therefore directly underneath the grip puppies.  My thought process was with that with extra layer (i.e. regular grips) not being in the way of the Heating Elements, as well as helping equalize the heat between throttle and clutch side; that I might have really nice warms hands basically for free since I already have the extra Heat Demons and Grip Puppies in the Garage.  My biggest fear was melting the softer rubber on the grip puppies.

Archived