300+ mile review of my 2017 FJ-09

Slowly getting comfortable with my 2017 FJ-09 that I just got a week ago. Have been lucky to take it up to Angeles Crest Hwy twice already and have been slowly getting the hang of how she runs. A few things, Ergonomics - love the rider triangle on this bike. Coming from a 2015 FZ-07, it seems like a similar upright riding position but the FJ is definitely taller. I like that the bars are a little higher and wider which gives you the leverage to turn in the bike. It’s surely heavier to do the initial turn in but once it’s on the lean, it responds really well. Engine - oh wow... what can I say about this triple engine. I’m still getting used to the fueling which is smoother than I was expecting but there are times that when I let off the throttle, it seems like it cuts fuel abruptly. Just have to find the sweet spot in the throttle, I think. Gearbox/Clutch - definitely smooth and precise. Love that the lever is lighter than my FZ-07. Not as light as my Versys X300 but for a bigger engined bike, it sure is easy to use the clutch. Engaging 1st gear from neutral gives you a clunk but I’ve seen that in all of the FZ-09s that I’ve ridden and ride with. Suspension - a ton better than the FZ-07 which tends to be on the soft side which leads to floating in the turns. As you can see from the video, I enjoy this bike immensely in the twisties and a lot of it has to do with the suspension. To be honest, I feel that it still needs some adjusting but for now, it inspires confidence. I’m about 175-180lbs with gear on so I’m not sure if it’s already set up for that weight. All in all, I’ve very happy with the bike. It’s strikingly cool especially for a sports tourer but it sure has the beans when you want to ride sportily. I still have not played much with the modes and the traction control so that will be on a seperate review. As always, ride safe out there and have fun. Cheers.

72cca37384abaa827adf6eedd063f48e.jpg

Guest kernowjim
How are you finding the vibration?  I found mine to be almost coarse from new but it smoothed out after the first service - still vibey though to the point where I may change it for a Kawasaki Versys 1000 later this year....it's the only thing I don't like about this bike

How are you finding the vibration?  I found mine to be almost coarse from new but it smoothed out after the first service - still vibey though to the point where I may change it for a Kawasaki Versys 1000 later this year....it's the only thing I don't like about this bike
How many miles do you have on the bike ? Mine didn't smooth out completely till about 6000 miles. 

the vibration doesn't bother me that much.  I think the vibration on the FZ-07 was worse.  I've ridden a couple of hours straight and haven't had the "tingly" hands yet so that's a good sign.

Guest kernowjim
How many miles do you have on the bike ? Mine didn't smooth out completely till about 6000 miles. 
only a mere 1000!  (perhaps I should give it more time and miles?)

Nice vid, I flew to LA to pick up my FJ-09 and road home. Left the dealer, got gas and went strait to Angles Crest then on to Ceder City UT.

I have noticed the abrupt fuel cut off on throttle close as well. I have balanced the throttle bodies and done APS adjustment https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment still get the close throttle abruptness some times. I can never quite make it repeat but always figgured it was a lack of smoothness on my fault.

• Supporting Member
I have noticed the abrupt fuel cut off on throttle close as well. I have balanced the throttle bodies and done APS adjustment https://fj-09.org/thread/5045/accelerator-position-sensor-aps-adjustment still get the close throttle abruptness some times. I can never quite make it repeat but always figgured it was a lack of smoothness on my fault.
Have you had the ECU flashed yet?  It removes all of the factory restrictions and noticeably smooths out the fueling. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Just curious, what values did you set your APS at? If I remember right, stock mine was at 17 and I lowered it to 14, then a few months later lowered it again to 12. That made a dramatic difference in smoothing the on/off fueling.

pre-2017s(?) you can adjust the APS yourself via the dash or have a dealership hook up a fancy doodad to re-adjust it.. seems like majority came from factory set at "17"... I dropped mine down to "12 or 13" IIRC... its a electronic throttle, I had to remind myself for months that its not a reg ole cable throttle which is more forgiving with lack of fine throttle control...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I think I set mine in the 12 to 13 range, I need to go back and check the values. I never entered the data into my Moto Data spread sheet and can’t seem to find the original notes. Very unlike me as an engineer; I blame beer....

• Supporting Member
 I never entered the data into my Moto Data spread sheet and can’t seem to find the original notes. Very unlike me as an engineer; I blame beer....
Perfectly acceptable... assuming its quality beer.  ;)

Archived