First Tire Change, and ALL the Warning Lights Came on!?!

jason450xsm

I just changed the tires on my '15 FJ-09, swapping out the stock tires for some Pirelli Angel GTs.  I took the wheels off of the bike and had the tires mounted/balanced at my local shop.  I re-installed the wheels with no real issues, but had all three warning lights (TCS, ABS & CEL) come on after about 15 seconds of riding.  The oil pressure light is the only one that didn't come on.  I couldn't hear or otherwise detect any issue, but turned right around and came home.  Now I'm turning to the forums to help me figure out WTF is going on, lol.

I've only had the bike about 3 months and this is the first time I have had either wheel off.  This is also the first bike I've owned with ABS, but removing and re-installing those sensors seemed pretty idiot-proof (...or was it??).  

I'd appreciate any insight you might have to share, thanks!

- Jason

Definitely sounds like that ABS sensor like @piotrek stated. The front one is very easy to not get seated properly. I would start by pulling them out and reinstalling them making sure that they are installed correctly.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
The exact same thing happened to me as you describe, TCS, ABS & CEL all illuminated. I called my buddy in the service department, he told me to cycle the off/run switch on the right handlebar with the key in the "on" position. Sure enough, after I started the bike and rode off, all of the lights went out.

As mentioned above, when working on the wheels, always remove the ABS sensor first.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Thanks all! I’ll try cycling the on/off switch to see if that does the trick, otherwise I’ll try removing, cleaning and replacing the ABS sensors. The ABS truly wasn’t working, as I was able to lock the rear, so maybe I do have something installed wrong? Will check it out tomorrow.

• Supporting Member
I just changed the tires on my '15 FJ-09, swapping out the stock tires for some Pirelli Angel GTs. 
BTW, your going to LOVE the Angel GT's.  They are a fantastic tire that instill cornering confidence even when riding aggressively like a hooligan WELL above the speed limit.  I'm not easy on tires but have reached 8,000 miles on a few GT rears, and thats with the belts just starting to show through.

I had a busy week so I just now got to taking a look at the FJ. I removed both ABS sensors and cleaned them up a little with some rubbing alcohol. Re-installed them, cycled the on/off switch 4-5x with the key in the On position and the ABS and CEL lights are still on. I didn't get a magnet anywhere near the sensors and I don't see any visual damage on the sensors or encoder wheel. I'm wondering if it got tweaked during the tire install. I'll have to spin the front wheel and see if I can detect and run-out in the encoder wheel.

Why is the front sensor difficult to seat just right? Seemed pretty straight-forward to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks guys.

- Jason

• Supporting Member
I had a busy week so I just now got to taking a look at the FJ. I removed both ABS sensors and cleaned them up a little with some rubbing alcohol. Re-installed them, cycled the on/off switch 4-5x with the key in the On position and the ABS and CEL lights are still on. I didn't get a magnet anywhere near the sensors and I don't see any visual damage on the sensors or encoder wheel. I'm wondering if it got tweaked during the tire install. I'll have to spin the front wheel and see if I can detect and run-out in the encoder wheel.  
Why is the front sensor difficult to seat just right? Seemed pretty straight-forward to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks guys.

- Jason
Did you ride it yet?  Usually the ABS light goes out after the bike is in motion.  When both wheels are moving in sync?? 

Thanks guys.

- Jason

It is straight forward.. I've had the front wheel off several times and the last time I put it back together I didn't seat it well. Nothing seemed weird when I put it back together, but I got all the lights. Upon inspection I realized my mistake.

I know someone posted to cycle the ignition, but I've never heard of that. You're going to have to get the wheels moving. If one is spinning while to the other isn't it will trigger the TCS. You're going to have to ride it around the block after you've verified all the sensors are as they should be.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I took it around my block, but really slowly cause it was cold and I didn’t have gear on. Maybe rode 1/4mi but didn’t get over 10mph, so maybe that wasn’t enough to reset it?

Installing the front seemed hard to mess up, but I’ll take another look at it. Thanks.

Not sure how far you will have to ride it.. I think you'll have to get it over 10 mph (or so) too.

Are you getting a code displayed on your dash?

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I'm not seeing any codes.  Took it for a little longer ride around the small town I live in, for about a mile, and got up to around 45mph. All the lights still came on, and ABS and traction control are not working. I honestly don't know how I could have screwed this up, seems so simple. I got frustrated and took my supermoto to the track, instead.

• Supporting Member
Hmm, very odd. "Usually" when CEL is lit you also get an error code on the right screen.
I have never had it not clear itself by either riding a very short distance or cycling the start/stop switch.

The one time that I got ABS/TCS/CEL all lit, I rode to the end of the street and it still didn't clear. I turned the key off and then back on, I turned the start switch from run to stop, then back to run, started the bike and rode off and the lights immediately cleared once I began moving.

Have you tried cycling the TCS on and off? (holding the TCS button for 2 seconds)
The manual says - "to reset the TCS you simply turn the key off for 1 second, turn the key back on and ride at least 12 mph. If the light doesn't go out then have it checked at the dealer".

I hope you get it figured out.

Archived