OEM Touring Windshield - Plastic Screws

r0man

Picked up FJ-09 last season and has been really happy with the bike. It came with an OEM touring windshield which was quite useful at highway speeds. End of season realized that one of the four plastic screws got missing. Any ideas where to look for a replacement? 

• Premium Member
Picked up FJ-09 last season and has been really happy with the bike. It came with an OEM touring windshield which was quite useful at highway speeds. End of season realized that one of the four plastic screws got missing. Any ideas where to look for a replacement? 

I didn’t like the plastic screws. I went to the hardware store and got some stainless replacements.

Let’s go Brandon

I didn’t like the plastic screws. I went to the hardware store and got some stainless replacements.
I have been using the nylon plastic bolts on my FJR's and this FJ for well over 280,000 miles and have not had any problems.  They work, and if you accidentally go forward, the shield will break loose causing less injury to you.  My National came with it's own mounting system, which uses SS bolts, which are larger in diameter then the plastic ones.  I'm using those. 

To each his own, just thought I would share some knowledge as to the benefit of the plastic bolts.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Had same problem - dealer had stock.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have been using the nylon plastic bolts on my FJR's and this FJ for well over 280,000 miles and have not had any problems.  They work, and if you accidentally go forward, the shield will break loose causing less injury to you.  My National came with it's own mounting system, which uses SS bolts, which are larger in diameter then the plastic ones.  I'm using those. 

To each his own, just thought I would share some knowledge as to the benefit of the plastic bolts.
I swapped em out because I think stainless looks better. As to the windscreen breaking loose if I fly into it goes..... I'm “big boned“ enough that I don’t think that’ll be a problem. 

Let’s go Brandon

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

@micah2074 or @koth442 any measurements on those windshield screws? I went with #10 24 x 3/4" machine screws, and they are just barely too big I think. Looked an exact match when I was in the hardware store. I'm afraid to torque too much more since the nut/receptacle portion of the windscreen mount is plastic. Any help is appreciated.

23 hours ago, dingophil said:

@micah2074 or @koth442 any measurements on those windshield screws? I went with #10 24 x 3/4" machine screws, and they are just barely too big I think. Looked an exact match when I was in the hardware store. I'm afraid to torque too much more since the nut/receptacle portion of the windscreen mount is plastic. Any help is appreciated.

They're definitely metric and IIRC, they're M5 x 0.8. 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

Thanks @koth442! You nailed it. M5 x 0.8 x 20mm.

20190316_194956.thumb.jpg.266f3f06ad95aacfcaa9d793918ead3b.jpg

I previously went with brass screws and washers (in the wrong size) for a tiny bit of bling. Suck with the washers, in addition to the OEM plastic ones. They don't show up too well in the photo, but they're there!

20190316_195246.thumb.jpg.44048875b040dffe1f02f08ea1c64877.jpg

Archived