Lift for FJ-09

I'll be soon moving into a townhouse with a garage and have considered getting a lift for working on the bike and better access for cleaning down low. Most of the ones I've seen appear to rely on the bike having a flat engine to rest on and carry the weight, but the underside of the FJ is all exhaust system. Anyone using a lift that will allow the wheels to come completely off the ground, and if so what type?

• Supporting Member
Most of the ones I've seen appear to rely on the bike having a flat engine to rest on and carry the weight, but the underside of the FJ is all exhaust system.
Since the bike has a center stand, you are half way there.  I have always used a floor jack under the headers to raise the front end for wheel or suspension removal.  I just use a folded towel on the jack lift to avoid scratching the exhaust. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I have the harbor freight special. It works. It holds the bike. Its a bit wobbly while your jacking up the bike for sure, but once its its up, its fine. Also I got rid of their stupid wheel chock. No way I'm using that thing. The FJ goes on the center stand. If I'm really beating on her, tie downs to the U bolts. The GSXR goes on a rear stand. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-steel-motorcycle-lift-68892.html

I got it for ~$300. Well worth the money. Would buy again. It *IS* heavy though. So getting it home might be a PITA.

'15 FJ09

Got these stands off Amazon. The pins do fit the headset. Pretty stable. I did put spools on the swingarm too. Perfect setup for doing tire changes.  The other front stand that Venom makes (cradle type) does not work on the front forks due to ABS sensor.

Front Stand:
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Triple-Headlift-Yamaha/dp/B01N0GSV96/ref=pd_sbs_263_5?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N0GSV96&pd_rd_r=DEFAMQFP478GVV3TSQEM&pd_rd_w=W0Qds&pd_rd_wg=nOcLi&psc=1&refRID=DEFAMQFP478GVV3TSQEM

Rear Stand:
https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddock-Kawasaki/dp/B0036QX4EY/ref=pd_sbs_263_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0036QX4EY&pd_rd_r=DEFAMQFP478GVV3TSQEM&pd_rd_w=W0Qds&pd_rd_wg=nOcLi&psc=1&refRID=DEFAMQFP478GVV3TSQEM

venom_front.jpg

venom_rear.jpg

I did end up putting boards on the ground to get a bit more lift. Only needed about 1”, as I remember.  This is an issue for many of my bikes with this type of stand.  I do not see it as an issue, really. I used two small scrap boards of 1x8.  It gives it just enough lift to do front wheel removal. 

Quote Betomy:

"This stand offers maintenance access from every possible angle. Abba Skylift"

I looked at the video for this lift on the vendor's site. It looks like it relies on a pivot pin fitting into the swing arm pivot, which is not exposed on the FJ. Will this work? Do you use one yourself?
swing_arm.jpg

• Supporting Member
Quote Betomy: 
"This stand offers maintenance access from every possible angle. Abba Skylift"

I looked at the video for this lift on the vendor's site. It looks like it relies on a pivot pin fitting into the swing arm pivot, which is not exposed on the FJ. Will this work? Do you use one yourself?

I have not used this lift stand.  Looking at their website, they sell bike-specific adapter kits.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The FJ swing arm piviot is the big bolt on the rear set mount. So the adapter is a cup that goes over the bolt. On the other side the adapter is a truncated cyclinder that plugs into the same spot.

I’m seriously considering this as a work stand. Between the girlfriend and my self we’ve got five bikes and I,ve always got one on paddock stands for some reason or another. I very much enjoy wrenching on bikes but I’m really tired of always sitting the floor.

• Premium Member
I have used solely Pit Bull F&R stands for 27 years but bought on close-out a third set of stands for $35 for the pair (!) that are stable enough for casual use. I've also have a Handy Industries MC air lift with the wheel vice I bought in 95 when I built my shop. The latter have doubled in price and then some, and so have PB and Woodcraft stands...

20170324_003541.jpg

20170324_202014.jpg

But then again I also have a No Mar tire changer and balancer and 20 feet of work bench, machining equipment, welders, etc in my heated and air conditioned carpeted shop that requires you wear sunglasses when all the lights are on smiley.png

20170324_022407.jpg

20170324_013623.jpg

• Premium Member
I have used solely Pit Bull F&R stands for 27 years but bought on close-out a third set of stands for $35 for the pair (!) that are stable enough for casual use. I've also have a Handy Industries MC air lift with the wheel vice I bought in 95 when I built my shop. The latter have doubled in price and then some, and so have PB and Woodcraft stands...  
20170324_003541.jpg

20170324_202014.jpg

But then again I also have a No Mar tire changer and balancer and 20 feet of work bench, machining equipment, welders, etc in my heated and air conditioned carpeted shop that requires you wear sunglasses when all the lights are on smiley.png

20170324_022407.jpg

20170324_013623.jpg

I... hate you.

Wait. I love you.

And hate you.

:D
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Pit Bull makes great stuff, can't go wrong there! 
Are you a hobby machinist? 

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
I am a semi-retired engineer and fabricator that started out in aerospace in the 70s then plant layout and design which led to building failure consulting after that, all the while operating my little shop geared toward advanced composite structural and aero components for ultralights and motorcycles...

Archived