Greetings from MD

For the past ten years I've been busy putting 35k miles on a 2009 Buell 1125CR. I bought it brand new when I heard they were going out of business—I sold a 2003 Buell XB9R for it. The 1125 is a really cool bike, but it's definitely not comfortable enough to commute regularly on.

f_P9_Pi_Rq.jpg

So I sold it and found a used 2016 FJ with only 3k miles on it. I haven't got a plate on it yet, but from my short little spins on some private roads, it's going to be perfect for me. I'm losing 278cc coming from the Buell, but gaining a cylinder and a whole lot of fun it sounds like. The FJ-09 is much more tame and evenly fueled at low rpm scooting around town, but has plenty of power for sprints and highway two-up trips.

She's completely stock and nameless for right now. I think a larger windscreen, heated grips, lower/adjustable pegs, and a tail tidy are on the short list, but I'm in no rush to start modding.

One thing that I'm kind of annoyed at is the stock seat height adjuster thing that's in the Owner's Manual to move the seat to its highest position is missing. Anyone know where to get one?

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

• Premium Member
Congrats on the new bike, and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will love the new bike, it's a lot of fun to ride!

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your new bike. The plastic insert/frame you mention is used in both seat positions... gotta be pretty wobbly without it. It's part 2PP-24708-00-00 ($7), found it here (#6).
Thanks, guys. I can't wait to start getting some miles behind me on it. 
piotrek: You rock! Parts ordered. My Google-fu is usually pretty good, but since I don't have a Parts Manual for the FJ yet (I downloaded Service and Part Manuals for an FZ but obviously isn't totally applicable) I couldn't nail down the part numbers. Thank you!

Welcome...I love commuting on my FJ. Where are you in MD? I'm in Poolesville!

I live near Hampstead and commute down to Laurel. Poolesville seems like it would have some better roads than what I have to put up with.

If the forecast holds up for us my first commute on the Tracer should be Friday!

So yesterday I got to go on the first real ride on the Tracer. What a great bike! I'm so excited to cover miles on this thing. Coming from the Buell, with its high-strung V-twin that just wants to go go go, the triple powerplant is a pleasure. Want to put around a turn at 3k rpm? No problem. I could never do that before without slipping the clutch a considerable amount to keep the engine happy: anything under 3.5k rpm on the Buell at low speed and the V-twin would buck and holler in pain. Obviously, this made riding with a pillion that much more fun.

I'm so happy to be on a machine that's fine with scooting along at low rpm, as well as getting it when you drop the hammer and let the revs climb. The front got light more than a few times—I'm getting used to where the weight is with this bike. I'm also getting used to sitting up straight rather than hunched over.

My only complaint right now is the stock windscreen: I had read it wasn't functional, but I didn't realize just how nonfunctional it was for taller people. Lowest position to highest position, each forced the wind buffeting right into my helmet. It sounded like a freight train the whole ride ... it would even be loud with ear plugs in, I'd imagine. When I stood up, the ride was whisper quiet and I could actually hear the engine. For my next ride I'm going to completely remove the windscreen, maybe the hand guards, too. Just until I get a taller one.

After I receive the stock seat adjustment bracket from Babbitts Online, I'm hoping that getting the seat into the higher position will put my head a little more out of the wind buffeting area. It will help my legs, regardless. I was looking for some rubber coated 1" drop pegs for my wife and I since we're both rather tall (6'3" and 5'7") but the added seat height could help me out enough that I can get the stock FZ rubber pegs, so I'm going to wait.

I can tell my first mods are going to be:
1. Better windscreen, and I like the look of the Givi the best so far. It also looks functional.
2. Tail tidy to get that big anchor off the back end. Need to make sure my rear turn signal solution is saddle bag compatible.
3. Radiator screen to keep the fins from getting damaged. It already has some minor fin damage due to stones.

• Premium Member
Hampstead to Laurel?! Ug. I grew up in Ellicott City. I don't envy you your traffic, and I used to commute in Los Angeles.

1. I like the Givi.
2. https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-2017-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light or https://www.motodynamic.com/ with https://ebay.to/2H9e7Rp. The tail tidy isn't perfect, but it's durable and cheap.

Hampstead to Laurel?! Ug. I grew up in Ellicott City. I don't envy you your traffic, and I used to commute in Los Angeles. 
1. I like the Givi.
2. https://www.customled.com/products/2015-2016-2017-yamaha-fj-09-integrated-led-tail-light or https://www.motodynamic.com/ with https://ebay.to/2H9e7Rp. The tail tidy isn't perfect, but it's durable and cheap.
Yuuuup, haha. It's about an hour each way with some stop and go on the beltway, but overall it's not horrible—the job's worth it, I'll say that. I'd take a back way down Marriottsville Rd / Folly Quarter Rd / Sheppard Lane and onto Rt 32 (diving into traffic) when I used to ride the Buell in. It makes it more enjoyable and only adds about 15 mins each way. 
Thanks for the recommendations: they're all added to the list. I was going to try and fab up a tail tidy myself out of some 3/16" plate, but for $40 shipped I don't think I can beat that. The others I was looking at were north of $100 so I'm glad there's a more reasonable alternative for piece of steel with a few bends in it and an LED light.

I'm planning on running the bike without a windshield until I can save up 200 bones for a proper windscreen. I don't mind the wind so much coming from a naked bike, but the horrible buffeting has to go. Way too loud.

The Givi looks like it's $170 with the required bracket (sold separately, of coarse). The Madstad is up there at $260 but looks larger and has a light smoke option, which I kind of like.

I've also thought about getting a sheet of Plexi and using a heat gun to make my own damn windshield.

I also need to get a new set of tires on it ... the PO picked up a nail or something and has a good size plug in the rear tire. I want to change up to the new Pilot Road 5s ... I had the 4s and liked them a lot. -- edit: scratch that, they're expensive as shit.

I commute about an hour to 1.5 from Poolesville down to the Smithsonian area in DC every day...I live this bike for commuting and getting around...handle bars are a little wide.

On windscreens, mine came with the national Vstream Tall and a stock...the Vstream sucks IMO, but I'm 6 ft. Buffets like mad no matter the seat position or windshield position. It's the best with seat in high and windshield in low.

Otherwise the Givi Trekker Outback boxes make commuting with gym bag, lunch box etc an absolute cake walk. Highly recommend those.

Overall awesome bike and if I can avoid traffic, I average 49-51mpg

Hello from Iowa.
I've been active on the FJ Form for a little over a month, but haven't posted a greeting yet.
Glad to be here. And my story is that a friend of mine ( who also on the form) was looking for a light weight bike to replace his Honda ST1300. And after helping him retrieve his purchase from Oklahoma I was bitten and found my own just a week ago.
I've been riding actively since 1968 when I bought a 1968 Kawasaki SS120. After racing dirt bikes for about ten years I settled into a 1979 Honda Gold Wing. Fast forward to now and I'm still riding and having a blast.
Just finished a 700 mile ride yesterday with my friend and waiting for this Winter weather to give up so that  we can ride out FJ's more.

I find this form to be of great interest. And it's already supplied me a lot of information.

Thanks a million for setting this up. And I look forward to talking with the members in the future.

• Premium Member
I commute about an hour to 1.5 from Poolesville down to the Smithsonian area in DC every day...
Jeez.  Hopefully AMA is lobbying MD to make lane splitting legal.  Between the humidity and the drivers... you have my sympathy. 

Archived