Rattle felt in footpegs while coasting - Clutch in

Hello fellow FJ riders!
This is my first thread so let me start by thanking everyone for the expertise they've offered over the years. Your combined knowledge has been invaluable in helping track down issues and perform mods.  But now I've run into a problem that I can't seem to find in the forums. I apologize if it's been covered and I've missed it. I've used search and sifted through the threads with no luck.
When I'm cruising along (let's say 50 mph) and pull the clutch in to coast, I feel a rattling around through my foot pegs.  Almost like a big rock is in my back tire but without the perfect rhythm.  It's like a ping...ping ping....ping..ping.  Like a bolt rattling around in a can.  I only feel it while coasting with the clutch in.  I've just started noticing it and the bike runs great otherwise.
Here's my setup:- 2015 FJ-09 (sexy red) with just shy of 5000 miles on the clock.- APE CCT- Chain slack adjusted to 1" with me on the bike- FT ECU flash - Unrestricted map with reduced engine braking and closed loop left active- Kevxtx O2 controller - I know most feel it's not needed with the flash, but I live in northern Utah and I've seen some debate about O2 input helping with wide temperature and altitude fluctuations. (why my closed loop is still active)- MCCruise Control- Throttle body sync- Yamaha clutch cable - version 2- Extended clutch arm (just trying to include everything drivetrain related wink.png  )- Fresh oil change - Replaced the Rotella T6 with Mobil 1 4T 10W-40
What I've tried:- Double checked cam chain tension- Double checked drive chain tension - Tightened back up and tested, then loosened again and tested - Rattle there either way- Cut engine while cruising with clutch in - Rattle still there - Again like a semi-rhythmic pinging in the foot pegs
If anyone's encountered this or can shed any light on the situation, I'd be grateful for any suggestions.  And if it's just the infamous clutch rattling around while coasting with the lever pulled, I'm more than okay with that as an answer.  I just don't want to be tempting fate if something is really wrong.
Thanks again.

Firstly, officially welcome!

Have you assessed the condition of the chian? 5k miles would be an early death for an OEM chain, but not impossible. There could be a tight spot.

Best of luck!

'15 FJ09

Have you assessed the condition of the chain?
I try to be pretty good about keeping my chain cleaned and lubed, but I haven't actually inspected the links for a problem spot.Thanks for the tip and I'll take a look tonight. 

Do you feel this when you coast in neutral, lever out?
I'm sorry, I forgot to put that on the list of things I'd tried. I did pop it into neutral and let the clutch out while cruising.  The rattle still seemed to be there but was much less pronounced.Interesting side note:  I pulled the clutch back in to pop the bike back up into gear and got a quick grind going into 2nd, like the clutch wasn't fully in, then no problem going into 3rd.  That's the only time that's ever happened. 

it bet its front sprocket... the chain links dont ride nicely 'round the sprocket due to the rubber noise damping thingy... only half of each link kinda rides on the rubber rather than the actual chain rollers... 

i replaced mine with a plain jane one from Vortex because it created a very odd bass like rhythm... now the sensation is gone... did this on my FZ-07 first a few years ago, then my FJ-09...

20170904_054337.jpg

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I'm sorry, I forgot to put that on the list of things I'd tried. I did pop it into neutral and let the clutch out while cruising.  The rattle still seemed to be there but was much less pronounced.Interesting side note:  I pulled the clutch back in to pop the bike back up into gear and got a quick grind going into 2nd, like the clutch wasn't fully in, then no problem going into 3rd.  That's the only time that's ever happened.
Too much slop in the clutch cable maybe? Try heavier oil (even if temporarily) to try and isolate the noise? With the bike on center stand, spin the wheel by hand as fast as you can (forward).... notice any chain binding against the sprocket(s) or links sticking?. Sorry... just throwing things out there...
No, thank you.  I really appreciate all the suggestions.  I'll give the wheel a spin when I'm on the center stand checking my links tonight. 

it bet its front sprocket...
Your posts about the front sprocket swap have definitely been on my radar.  And it's cheap and easy enough to give it try without breaking the bank.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Too much slop in the clutch cable maybe? Try heavier oil (even if temporarily) to try and isolate the noise? With the bike on center stand, spin the wheel by hand as fast as you can (forward).... notice any chain binding against the sprocket(s) or links sticking?. Sorry... just throwing things out there...
No, thank you.  I really appreciate all the suggestions.  I'll give the wheel a spin when I'm on the center stand checking my links tonight.
Got the bike home, put her on the center stand and gave everything a much closer inspection.  First, clutch cable is spot on.  Just a few mm of play at the lever.  Slowly turning the rear wheel while inspecting every inch of the chain revealed no problems.  Chain rides just a hair to the outside of the rear sprocket, but no binding.  I gave the chain a good scrub with degreaser and lubed it up to get everything silky smooth and quiet again, then spun the wheel like there was no tomorrow.  Nothing significant stood out, but there may have been some clatter up by the front sprocket.  I need someone to spin the wheel while I put my ear up to it to be sure and, but if so, I'm thinking @norcal616 is onto something.  I may pick up a plain old Vortex and test it out. In the mean time, the winds here are up 50 mph so my ride testing is done for the night.

Thanks again for the tips and advice.  This is a great community.

• Supporting Member
While you are considering changing the front sprocket, have you considered a 15 tooth?
If you are just a commuter type rider then it might not be worth your while but if you’re into any kind of hooliganism then a 15 tooth has a big grin factor. It pulls harder down low and allows you to get into the sweet spot of the power band more efficiently.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

While you are considering changing the front sprocket, have you considered a 15 tooth? 

I have.  I loved the effect dropping a tooth had on my old cafes, so I bet it's really pronounced on this bike.  I ride a combination of zipping around town and freeway miles though, so it's something I'll have to consider.  But again, it's not like it's too tough to give it a try and swap back if it doesn't work out. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Any more news on resolving this mystery Pmych?
Sadly, no.  But it's not any worse and, like you, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment.  And who knows, having added some chain slack from the manual specs, and mine riding just a hair off center on the rear sprocket, maybe it's just the chain engaging a tooth a little off now and then when I hit bumps in the road while coasting.  I haven't had a chance to swap the front sprocket yet so, in the mean time, it's just something I'll keep an eye on.  

Archived