• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Mounting / Dismounting

Hey guys;
I am 6' 1", 195 lbs. I have no problem getting on my bike with my soft saddlebags and a dry bag strapped over the rear seat. What I usually do is take a bit of a  skip jump towards my bike on my left leg and then raise my right leg up over the seat and get on that way. I have come close to catching my right foot on the seat and kicking my bike over but that has not happened yet. I would prefer to mount it the normal fashion but can't do that with the bag on the back seat. Problem is getting off the bike. Left foot on the ground I have no choice but to try and raise my right leg way up high over the rear seat with the bag on it. Very wkward and I have caught my foot more than once doing this. Great comic relief for spectators at gas stations etc...

Question....is the sidestand sturdy enough to support the weight if I place my left foot on the peg and step up and over with my right legt mounting and dismounting?

My buddy who is 6'5" and weighs upwards of 250 mounts his Tiger 800 from the right. He steps on the brake side foot-peg and throws his leg over. I think its sacrilegious to mount a motorcycle from the right, but what they hey.

Kick stand would probably work, just thought I'd share his method.

'15 FJ09

My buddy who is 6'5" and weighs upwards of 250 mounts his bike from the right. He steps on the brake side foot-peg and throws his leg over. I think its sacrilegious to mount a motorcycle from the right, but what they hey. 
No diss intended to the buddy, but surely 250lbs (114kg) and 6'5" is pushing it a bit for a small (in both capacity and overall size) motorcycle.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Hey guys; I am 6' 1", 195 lbs. I have no problem getting on my bike with my soft saddlebags and a dry bag strapped over the rear seat. What I usually do is take a bit of a  skip jump towards my bike on my left leg and then raise my right leg up over the seat and get on that way. I have come close to catching my right foot on the seat and kicking my bike over but that has not happened yet. I would prefer to mount it the normal fashion but can't do that with the bag on the back seat. Problem is getting off the bike. Left foot on the ground I have no choice but to try and raise my right leg way up high over the rear seat with the bag on it. Very wkward and I have caught my foot more than once doing this. Great comic relief for spectators at gas stations etc...

Question....is the sidestand sturdy enough to support the weight if I place my left foot on the peg and step up and over with my right legt mounting and dismounting?
I've read of lots of guys doing exactly that.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

My buddy who is 6'5" and weighs upwards of 250 mounts his bike from the right. He steps on the brake side foot-peg and throws his leg over. I think its sacrilegious to mount a motorcycle from the right, but what they hey. 
No diss intended to the buddy, but surely 250lbs (114kg) and 6'5" is pushing it a bit for a small (in both capacity and overall size) motorcycle.
Oh, I didn't mention, he rides a tiger 800.

'15 FJ09

It's probably fine but I'm still sticking the right leg out and doing the hop or two. Even without the dry bag on the rear seat. Both knees have limited range of motion and I'm short and pudgy. But it's become habit.

As for dissing someone 6'5 on an FJ-09 as being small, not sure what that means. My 6'7+ buddy's last bike was a Versys 650. The FJ-09 is actually one of the best bikes for leg room ever. My aching knees love the seat-to-peg distance.

• Premium Member
Hey guys; I am 6' 1", 195 lbs. I have no problem getting on my bike with my soft saddlebags and a dry bag strapped over the rear seat. What I usually do is take a bit of a  skip jump towards my bike on my left leg and then raise my right leg up over the seat and get on that way. I have come close to catching my right foot on the seat and kicking my bike over but that has not happened yet. I would prefer to mount it the normal fashion but can't do that with the bag on the back seat. Problem is getting off the bike. Left foot on the ground I have no choice but to try and raise my right leg way up high over the rear seat with the bag on it. Very wkward and I have caught my foot more than once doing this. Great comic relief for spectators at gas stations etc...

One of the first things I did when I bought the bike was take it over to my machinist, and have him add a 2 inch section to the sidestand. Now, I just step up on the left foot peg and step over. I am 6'4" and weigh 255 and had trouble getting my right leg over to mount......something about being an old fart and not as flexible as I used to be. 

I've been strongly considering the same thing. I have Givi V35s mounted on the side, and, even though they won't be there 100% of the time, I'd like to mount/dismount as if they are (you know, the "muscle memory" thing...although, at 50, I'm also not as flexible as I used to be). Figure, the pegs should be strong enough...besides, it's not as if we'd be bouncing up & down on them. Look at it this way - if a motorcycle is a "steel horse", and that's how one mounts/dismounts a horse, then it should be good enough for our bikes.

I've stepped on the left peg and climbed up every time I've rode the bike since I bought it 3 years ago and the 8 years before that on my Suzuki Vstrom and have never had a problem.  when you have a 29" inseam and tailbag and hard luggage, you climb. Sidestand seems to take it fine.

Archived