Loud chain/sprockets

I just replaced my chain and sprockets because the old were shot and sounded like they were packed with gravel. The new items are  • RK Chain MAX-X RX-Ring 520 Chain
• Driven Yamaha FZ-09 14-16 520 Front Sprocket
Driven Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 14-18 520 Steel Rear Sprocket.
Now when I ride I hear a sort of a shhh sound like tires on wet pavement reflected back at me from left hand walls, passing cars, etc. And I also have a whine coming from the front sprocket that changes in pitch with speed. 
Does anyone know if this change in sound can be normal depending on the cut of the sprockets and/or make of chain and sprockets?

Guest highplainsrider
I noticed a lot of difference in noise and vibration using a non-dampened front sprocket. I recently installed a new chain and sprockets and used the OEM front sprocket with the dampener - it is much quieter. Sprocket Center sells a 15T and 16T front sprocket with the OEM style dampener.  I don't think there are any dampened sprockets for 520 conversions. I don't think you will have any problems as long as the chain slack is setup correctly. You will probably get used to the different noises eventually.

This is an interesting conversation as I seem to remember the exact opposite being reported in another thread. I will try to find it... my memory could be off as well.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
This is an interesting conversation as I seem to remember the exact opposite being reported in another thread. I will try to find it... my memory could be off as well.
I remembered the same thing... from a @Norcal616 thread: https://fj-09.org/thread/5716/changing-front-sprocket-15t-16t
"I do also notice way less vibrations coming from the bike in general...could be due to 15T having no rubber damping disc or it could be due to the 1.5inches of chain slack Im currently running...gonna bring it in to just over an inch of slack..."

This was the reason I went rubber-less when I ordered my new chain/sprockets.  Haven't had a chance to put enough miles on it to comment tho...

Guest highplainsrider
I also read a post that someone had a noisy dampened sprocket after it developed divots in the rubber from wear with the chain. I ran the two different sprockets (15t plain steel and 16T dampened) back to back with the same chain and chain slack and there was a big difference in noise between the two. Maybe some of that can be attributed to the 15 vs 16 tooth count. 

the rubber damping donut dont let the chain ride on the chain rollers, but the chain rather rides on the outside links- this does not let the chain fit nicely causing odd clunky bass like harmonics that got more buzzy with rpms... I could have stayed with a 16T but the 15T cured a slightly lazy rpm climb in 2nd gear from a stop(1st gear is useless on most motorcycles in my opinion, cant really hit a false neutral going from 1st-2nd and mph at shift rpm is too close)...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived