A different kind of flash

I don't need another 5 or 10 hp, I have a standard pipe and it's enough.
My bike is a 2017 and it says it gets about 54plus mpg. Kinda lean, I suspect. And with the recent talk of exhaust valve probs, well...
So If I could order a flash 'a-la-carte', it would be:
Richen up the F/A mix a little across the board. But not to 45mpg numbers. Just a little.
Change the coolant fan temps to the lower standards.

Take off the speed limiter, not that I need it, but since we're there...
Remove the fuel-off on decel, but it's not really noticeable on my bike, another 'just cuz we're there...

Does anyone do non-proprietary, non-performance, a-la-carte work?

Pirates and hijackers please move on, ok?

rain

Yes... what your asking for is a tune for "stock exhaust"...it will bump the HP/TQ up a few points naturally- AFRs will be richer- no speed limiter- pick your choice of default drive mode...fan temps lowered... 

I did run a stock exhaust tune prior to upgrading my exhaust(maybe 2wks before winter hit was all the time I had to experience the stock exhaust tune) and found the stock exhaust tune was a better choice than OEM tune...all I could think of was "this was supposed to be how the motors should come from the factory"..

if you want a smoother on/off throttle response- that requires the APS to be adjusted from like 17(seems to be the norm) to 12-13( most users to go this value)... this can be done via dash and manually moving the APS on pre-2017 bikes...2017+ will need a dealership to help out w/fancy code scanner tool...

tuners familiar with the -09 motor

2WDW- located in Washington- various tuning software on hand from PCV, FTecu, Woolich, Biazz(sp?)

Vcyclenut- located in Florida

Woolich Racing - located in Fargo, North Dakota...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I don't need another 5 or 10 hp, I have a standard pipe and it's enough. My bike is a 2017 and it says it gets about 54plus mpg. Kinda lean, I suspect. And with the recent talk of exhaust valve probs, well...
So If I could order a flash 'a-la-carte', it would be:
Richen up the F/A mix a little across the board. But not to 45mpg numbers. Just a little.
Change the coolant fan temps to the lower standards.

Take off the speed limiter, not that I need it, but since we're there...
Remove the fuel-off on decel, but it's not really noticeable on my bike, another 'just cuz we're there...

Does anyone do non-proprietary, non-performance, a-la-carte work?

Pirates and hijackers please move on, ok?

rain

This is exactly the sort of thing I have been thinking about.  I found a tuner in the UK who does exactly what you're looking for.  He, like other suppliers, offers a mail in ECU flash service where your ECU is flashed with a map optimised for a standard tracer.  I imagine there are similar service offerings in the US.  Here's a link to the details: 
https://fj-09.org/post/78898/thread

CS

• Supporting Member
It sounds like you want a normal 2wheeldynoworks flash.

Custom Flashing Service:(Stock Exhaust)

– Disable Injector Decel Cut
– Professional fuel map modification to suit stock exhaust
– Removal of all gear based or speed dependent restrictions, TRE
– Optimized timing maps for 91+ octane
– Disable AIS valve (always closed)
– Reduce Fan Temps 205°F
– Speedometer Calibration
– Default to A-mode (If requested)
– ECU Based Quickshifter

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I all ready made this tune to my bike tracer 16’.
After a month of riding, things i want to change is, to make default mode “std” again, because “A” mode is difficult to control when close-open throttle.
@ 17’ or later model, throttle map may be different and smother, i really don’ t know.
I like to have injector decel cut back.
That is MY opinion.

At $315, shipping to 2WDW is the cheapest option, but anytime you wanted to re-flash, you'd have to remove the ECU, ship it to them, wait for it to be returned, and reinstall. The Bench ECU kit is an additional $135 (at $450), but it saves you from having to ship to 2WDW, not to mention waiting for them to ship the ECU back to you. Lastly, for $520, the Data-Link kit option allows you to attach a harness, with the computer-attachment location placed wherever you want (such as under the seat), thus eliminating ever having to remove the ECU for flashing. For those who have gone with 2WDW for flashing your bike's ECU, I'm curious as to how many have shipped their ECU to 2WDW, how many have ordered the Bench ECU Flashing Kit, and how many have gone for the Data-Link ECU Flashing Kit?

• Supporting Member
@panther6834 I too shipped mine to 2WDW. They sent me an email saying it was received and an hour and a half later another email saying it was back in the mail.

Just curious, what do you plan to do to yours that you want to invest in the harness? I mean, once it is flashed, its flashed, its not like you are going to go into it on a monthly basis and and change anything.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

@panther6834 Just curious, what do you plan to do to yours that you want to invest in the harness? I mean, once it is flashed, its flashed, its not like you are going to go into it on a monthly basis and and change anything.

The "on a monthly basis" I'm in agreement with. However, the "change anything" assumption isn't entirely correct. First off, if you read some of the posts by others, you will notice that, at times, people do sometimes want to change something...enabling/disabling the 'max speed', changing air-fuel mixture, etc. Additionally, using my situation, right now I'm using the stock exhaust, and considering flashing the ECU from 'OEM' to 'stock exhaust'...but I've also been considering replacing the exhaust with something else.

The thing is, that "something else" could end up being street legal, and, then again, it might not...I'm undecided. With California considering the possibility (which they've done on & off for a while) of requiring SMOG checks on motorcycles, swapping the after-market exhaust back to OEM exhaust is simple enough, but switching back & forth between ECU programming is something else. Having the ability to reprogram the ECU myself would be a huge benefit. I top of that, having the Data-Link harness would eliminate the need of taking the bike apart each time.

Imagine if the bike manufacturers didn't have an easily-accessible OBD ports (ie. the 4-pin port on Yamaha bikes)...imagine if, instead of that port being under the seat, it was on the ECU, itself. If you did your own work, and needed to access the port, you'd have to remove everything up to the gas tank to access the ECU...and, if you had the shop do all maintenance, imagine the additional costs involved. The Data-Link harness saves a LOT of time, and can also save money. Just "food for thought".

If you are gonna go the bench flashing kit for Home, no need to send out ECU tp get a "stock tune" ... you will end up paying more since 2WDW price includes the "ECU bin file key" which ties the ECU to 2WDW software- this allows them to give you free reflashes sinxe they have the "key" and once you get the ECU back you will not be able to adjust the ECU unless you also buy the " ECU bin file key" which overrides the previous flash...

you need something like a PowerCommander5 which does not require any ECU keys- you can still download a stock tune from the PCV library- much cheaper option than buying a flash tune and a home bench kit...

most tuners use FTecu software- they have a libray of maps to pick from if you still wanna go the bench flash route insted of PCV...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Archived