Newly installed DID 525VX Chain. Cracked pin?

Hey All,

I just recently installed a new DID 525VX chain.  I very carefully followed all instructions, and used the Motion Pro
chain tool.

I flared the pin to the manufacturer's specs, and carefully flared in small increments.  Each time, ensuring that I
did not over-flare the pin.

All seemed to come out perfect.  I did a 50 mile test ride, a couple days back.  No problems.  The chain looked
fine.

This morning, I did another 50 mile ride.  I came back, and inspected the pins.  Oy!  One of the pins is looking suspect.

Please see the attached photo.  I can't ascertain if the pin is cracked, but there is definitely some surface material that
came loose.  Have any of you ever experienced something like this?

I'm thinking, the best course of action is to replace the master link.  Taking chances on the chain does not sound like
a good idea.  Especially, just to save on a few bucks.

Thanks much for any feedback.

Gregorius

IMG_1775.png

• Premium Member
Hey All, 
I just recently installed a new DID 525VX chain.  I very carefully followed all instructions, and used the Motion Pro
chain tool.

I flared the pin to the manufacturer's specs, and carefully flared in small increments.  Each time, ensuring that I

All seemed to come out perfect.  I did a 50 mile test ride, a couple days back.  No problems.  The chain looked
fine.

This morning, I did another 50 mile ride.  I came back, and inspected the pins.  Oy!  One of the pins is looking suspect.

Please see the attached photo.  I can't ascertain if the pin is cracked, but there is definitely some surface material that

I'm thinking, the best course of action is to replace the master link.  Taking chances on the chain does not sound like

Gregorius

IMG_1775.png

I would replace the master link. If you don’t want to use that kind this type works just as well and is easier to install.
http://www.moto-chains.com/site/898528/product/mstr%20-%20screw

Let’s go Brandon

Hey All, 
chain tool.

fine.

Gregorius

IMG_1775.png

Did the chain also come with a solid pin master link in addition to the hollow pin you installed?  My chain came with both but recommended using the solid pin master link.  You can't get a crack in a solid pin master link (unless you use a jack hammer).  This is a pic of the master link on my new chain (sorry but my camera can't get as close as yours; the link with the black in between the pins is the master link): 

SDC10362.jpg

I usually order an extra master link incase my rivitng is over zealous. I’ve never cracked one though. Curious that it would crack in the correct flair diameter. I always try to stop at the lower bound, just because it always feels like the flair is too much. Kind of like the chain tension spec.

My chain only came with one hollow pin link.

I'm really bummed, as I tried to be very careful to not damage the pin.

It would seem, the metal that these pins are made of, is somewhat brittle.

Then again, I can't be sure that the pin is cracked.  It looks like just some surface material came off.

I sincerely think you have nothing to worry about. I'd check it again and every time you lube the chain. IN order for this to fail the "mushroom" would have to completely fail in such a way that the pin diameter is smaller then the chain link itself. The likelihood of this happening is extraordinarily small.  

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Hi 2linby

Thanks for the response.

Yes.  I'm thinking, I might put in some miles, and just keep a close eye on it.  If the mushroom continues to degrade, well, time for a new
master link.

The core material of the pin still looks solid.

My last chain was the OEM chain, and I got just about 25K miles on it.  It developed some very loose spots,
that made adjusting the slack of the entire chain correctly, nigh impossible.

Ok. So, I did the McKenzie pass ride today. It came out to a couple hundred miles of very fun, and spirited, riding. Lots of twists and turns. If you've never done it,
it's fun as hell. It's located just outside Sisters, Oregon.

Had no probs with the chain.

Upon arriving home, I inspected the master link, and the pin was unchanged. I'm supposing it's most likely some surface material that has flaked off.

I'll keep checking it, but I think it should be good.

Thanks for the replies, All!
IMG_1787.png

• Premium Member
Ok. So, I did the McKenzie pass ride today. It came out to a couple hundred miles of very fun, and spirited, riding. Lots of twists and turns. If you've never done it, it's fun as hell. It's located just outside Sisters, Oregon.

Had no probs with the chain.

Upon arriving home, I inspected the master link, and the pin was unchanged. I'm supposing it's most likely some surface material that has flaked off.

I'll keep checking it, but I think it should be good.

Thanks for the replies, All!
IMG_1787.png

I rode through that area last August. Loves me some Oregon. I plan on heading back in a few years.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived