I goofed while installing MCCruise. Please help

nsmiller

Hey all, this weekend I was installing an MCCruise unit on the FJ09 and during the installation one of the tiny metal connectors (the one which gets tachometer speed from the cylinder 1 ignition coil) got stepped on and crushed. I need to know where I can source a replacement. I have a trip to Alaska coming up in 3 weeks so I am in a bit of a hurry. 

I left a message with MCCruise about where I can get this connector, but of course they are in Australia and I have to wait for the sun to come up there. One thought I did have was to steal a connector off a wrecked late model Yamaha. I'm sure any engine which uses the CP3 would work, but an FJR, Tenere or anything else would likely work as well. Does anyone know where I could get such a connector? Pics below.

Crushed Connector:

Crushed.png

Good Connector:

Good_Connector.png

Cylinder 1 Ignition Coil Plug that the connector is supposed to slide into:

Ignition_Coil_Wire.png

• Supporting Member
Since it fits into a Yamaha electrical plug, maybe call around to some local Yamaha dealers and talk to the mechanics, maybe they have some in stock for when they have to repair wiring.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

All the motorcycle dealers are closed until tomorrow, but I'm not sure how helpful they would be for what I'm looking for. I was able to find this at cycle terminal, which I think is what I need. Took a gamble and ordered some. Hopefully it pays off. I emailed Joe, but haven't gotten a response yet.

Possible Solution Link

• Supporting Member
Glad you were able to find what you need. Nothing worse than having to get something fixed at the last minute before a big trip.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Hope you get them...and get the MCCruise cruise control installed, throttle calibration completed, and a lengthy "test ride" done...before heading for parts unknown. Installation took me less than 4 hours (and, for someone with no mechanical or electrical knowledge...unless you count building computers for gamers...that's quite a feat), and it functions like a dream (once I correctly completed the throttle calibration). This, combined with the Yamaha QSS Quick-Shift, and I'm having a blast.

The FJ-09 is my wife's bike. I started the install Friday night, and was hoping to be test riding by Saturday night. No such luck. Got a short trip weekend trip planned from KC to Springfield this coming weekend which would have been another great test, but still waiting on the mailman. It will probably be early next week by the time it gets up and running again unfortunately. At least we'll still have a week and a half of commuting and maybe a short weekend ride to test.

Sorry you have to make a wiring repair.

If you haven’t already - you’re going to need a particular set of crimpers when you attach the new terminal, otherwise it won’t fit back in the Connector housing.

Just a heads up while you are waiting for the part.

Skip

In addition to crimping the connectors to the wires, I would also HIGHLY suggest soldering them together, as this will create the strongest bond. Slide the plastic "protectors" over the wires, crimp the connectors to the wires, solder them together, and finally slide the plastic protectors over the crimped/soldered area. No one will be able to tell the difference, and you won't have to worry about the connectors & wires vibrating apart (meaning, if you don't solder them).

Sorry Panther, going to have to disagree with you.  
He’s fixing a stock Yamaha connector, I would advise NOT soldering a terminal to a wire. That is not how they are designed to be connected.

-S

I'll admit, I haven't actually looked myself (yet, but I will), but I'm having doubts that the OEM connectors are just crimped to the OEM wires. Crimping, and then soldering, is a standard practice throughout the industry, for autos, trucks, motorcycles, watercraft, etc. Crimping, alone, rarely has enough strength to hold the wire to the connector. Even in other connection types (HDMI cables, audio cables, etc), in almost all cases, soldering is involved. Put another way, crimping & then soldering ALWAYS has a better "hold" then only crimping. I was NOT suggesting he solder the wires together (ie. the OEM wire to the MCCruise harness wire), which, reading your reply, seems like what you might have been thinking I was suggesting. I would NEVER suggest that, for anything...motorcycle, or otherwise.

I'll admit, I haven't actually looked myself (yet, but I will), but I'm having doubts that the OEM connectors are just crimped to the OEM wires. Crimping, and then soldering, is a standard practice throughout the industry, for autos, trucks, motorcycles, watercraft, etc...
Soooo... what did you see?  tongue.png
Still haven't looked...been too busy riding before I head off for work.  (rofl)  

I’ll take a pic for you sometime, but you are incorrect - they ARE indeed crimped. Standard throughout the industry on every model and manufacturer I’ve ever worked on.

One crimp secures the insulation of the wire to the terminal, sometimes with a seal secured in the first crimp. The second, smaller crimp secures the exposed wire to the terminal making the electrical connection.

One reason I suggested NOT soldering the wire to the terminal connector is because in order to do that, you’ll need to get the terminal connector quite hot to melt the solder and join the wire. Too much heat will also compromise the connection, although we may be talking about many miles/years down the road (and depending on how you were trained)

The second reason is that getting a soldered joint to fit down into the tiny cavity that the terminal came out of in the plastic housing will also be a no-go. Only the right type of crimp will fit back down in there. BTDT.

Trying to save the OP a headache when he goes to fix this problem and steer him down the proper path of repair.

-S

I've been watching this thread and haven't seen another factor mentioned:  vibration.

My understanding is that a soldered connection, being solid and unable to flex with vibration, is prone to failure from cracking and is another reason why vehicular wiring is commonly crimped only.

Archived