Hello, from London, UK

steve

• Premium Member
 Those Garmins might be ancient but they are totally bulletproof, submersible..... dammed near indestructible.  The only problem I have with mine is the input jack broke years ago so I couldnt update the maps if I wanted to..... that and Garmin has the worst customer service in the country.
you can get updated maps free from this open source website for the 2610 
the map data is stored on a CF card. You can update the maps from Mapsource on a PC using a CF card reader plugged into your USB port.

If the USB port on the 2610 is knackered then you won't be able to upload routes & waypoints to the satnav, but you can still use the sat nav user interface to make routes etc.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I found Garmin UK to be quite good, OK so they never did fix my traffic receiver problem, were pleasant enough though, but everything else was OK - mind you they know how to charge. 

Does that 'ancient' unit draw its' power from the bike? If so how did you wire it up? I have a slightly less antique (not by much though) Zumo 550 and an Autocom. I wasn't going to fit either to the bike, but with my weekend foray to Holland I'll need it - no way my ancient brain will remember how to get there!
There is no space under the  seat  either :-[, eventually had to take  the tool kit out - small as it is - and got the rear seat back on. I'm not that keen on trying to run wires (power and audio) to the back given I have so little time to prep - but then I'm not sure I'll find room for the small Bluetooth box either :-S

• Premium Member
I just use the 12V plug/speaker thing supplied to use with a car - used it for several years in all weathers so I'm happy it is waterproof.
!BzMQjdg!Wk~$(KGrHqMOKjUE)KhjZmejBMU8RnYFng~~_35.JPG
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Ah thanks. The Zumo has a car adapter but only works with the car holder. I'll probably buy a cig lighter plug and solder the hardwired cable to that, ta.

Guest eatpasta
I had mine hardwired to the battery and a connector velcro'd to the RAM mount....seems like there are lots of ways to do it!

• Premium Member
I have a 31" inside leg and the lower seat position is fine - flat foot both sides

When messing with the bike yesterday I managed to refit the seat in the high position. This resulted in a comedy moment in a car park with a camber on the way home this afternoon.

There is a low seat option and you can get lowered suspension.

Hi Graham, I'm 6'1, in seam about 32". I have the seat on high and can flat foot both, some of that may be thanks to the rather large soles on my Altberg boots though. I think I'll try the lower position and see what that's like.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow, if you do get to test ride it rather than looking at it. A friend of mine who is rather vertically challenged did battle on the low seat setting, but of course when you move that isn't an issue. I'd judge the bike on how you get on with the ride, as wessie says, a lower seat and/or a lowering kit will ensure you are able to flat foot.

I'll pass a couple of waves over Manc way for you when I head to Scotland Early in May and Llandudno two weeks later.

Let us know who you get on.

Archived